join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to aereolis

Premium Member

to aereolis

Re: The Rogers Cable guys job

While not SDV they're going to be fixing it sooner or later it seems:

»www.cedmagazine.com/news ··· -2-years

Probably a good thing. FibeTV really does blow the doors off of Rogers Cable in terms of both functionality and video quality (having had Rogers Cable for quite some time before switching to Fibe TV and experience both first hand).
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

Is that true if you are watching multiple HD streams, like four at once?
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

While not SDV they're going to be fixing it sooner or later it seems:

»www.cedmagazine.com/news ··· -2-years

Probably a good thing. FibeTV really does blow the doors off of Rogers Cable in terms of both functionality and video quality (having had Rogers Cable for quite some time before switching to Fibe TV and experience both first hand).

I'd be very skeptical of that timeline. They're already getting real close to that two year mark.

Although, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that's why they pretty much refuse to make any improvements to RTN.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

Rogers IPTV is ready to go. It's just not launched, I think it's still in Beta testing in employees homes at this point. Keep in mind the new Fiber internet connections from Rogers are the backbone of IPTV.

TNK
join:2011-03-22
HNVION17

TNK

said by cepnot4me:

Rogers IPTV is ready to go. It's just not launched, I think it's still in Beta testing in employees homes at this point. Keep in mind the new Fiber internet connections from Rogers are the backbone of IPTV.

I wouldn't expect this to mean a mass FTTH rollout, though. More like a backbone technology change. All of those nextboxes have ethernet jacks on the back of them - watch those get enabled for IPTV use as opposed to something strictly DOCSIS-based.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

FTTH, so far, is FTTS. They've enabled specific GTA buildings. (Easier, fiber wiring is there from Bell, just a matter of switching off their plant onto ours in the Telco room. FTTH might still be a ways away but expect the service to launch only where Bell Fibe is actively doing FTTH. Mass rollout? Probably just as long of a wait as it would be for Bell to expand their coverage.

The Ethernet port on the Cisco is because it has a Docsis 2 modem built in. (maybe docsis 3.. I'm not 100%) this modem I had originally been told doesn't actually exist in the box, it's an option Rogers could have ordered, however I'm willing to bet most of them do have it, and the software has it disabled.

It would make sense to utilize the docsis capability of the nextbox. I pulled up a spec sheet from Cisco.

The 9865 is a docsis 3 modem. If initialized, it can be ordered without The modem, the modem set 8/4 channels, or the modem sharing the channels with the digital feed.

I don't know which model Rogers got. But from the looks of the spec sheet, it's purpose is only to provide access, not manage or operate any IPTV services. Just an access point I'd Rogers wanted it to be your Internet connection And your pvr. Which they will never do.