uniqs

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

Anyone have experience with exede voice?

I'm thinking about ditching my $80 verizon landline for viasat's $30 exede voice service. On the surface it looks good... But is there anything I should be wary of?
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by DrModem:

ditching my $80 verizon landline...But is there anything I should be wary of?

After reading a Verizon disclaimer, I don't think so.

5. No Warranties. ADVICE OR INFORMATION GIVEN BY VERIZON OR ITS REPRESENTATIVES SHALL NOT CREATE A WARRANTY.

USE OF VERIZON TECHNICAL SUPPORT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND IS NOT WARRANTED. EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE EXPRESSLY PROVIDED HEREIN, WE DISCLAIM, WITH RESPECT TO ALL SERVICES, ANY AND ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR ARISING BY COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, DEALING, CUSTOM OR TRADE USAGE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE (EVEN IF WE KNEW OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN SUCH PURPOSE) AND NONINFRINGEMENT. YOU AGREE THAT THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS.

james1979
Premium Member
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

1 edit

james1979

Premium Member

said by DrStrangLov:

USE OF VERIZON TECHNICAL SUPPORT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND IS NOT WARRANTED.

Truly hilarious.

Although open to interpretation (by lawyers of course) ...

''The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" - William Shakespeare

Early morning edit: "And string them up with barbed wire." - My uncle

adadasdfa
@myvzw.com

adadasdfa to DrModem

Anon

to DrModem
Straight Talk home phone connect was $50 during Black Friday, now $80 online. Around $16 per month with the little tax it has here, no contract, unlimited calling, uses Verizon's towers. Sounds at a minimum as good as the phone line here, actually sounds better most of the time (here, it's crystal clear). I have one, my aunt has had Verizon's version for a couple years. Works without power for a while.

If you already have cell phones you can get a link to cell phone system ($100 plus or minus) that automatically connects to phones by bluetooth when in range (Panasonic ones are good). When someone calls the cell, it will ring the handsets and you can answer any of them. Or you can dial out from any handset through the cell phone.

If you can get a Verizon or other signal, just a couple more options.
DrStrangLov

1 edit

DrStrangLov

said by adadasdfa :

Straight Talk home phone....unlimited calling

FWIW, there is no such thing as "unlimited calling," as they say,

"We may interrupt or terminate your service without notice for any conduct that we believe violates this Agreement....if we have reasonable cause to believe that you are using your Straight Talk phone....in a way that may adversely affect our service,"
Expand your moderator at work
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to DrModem

Premium Member

to DrModem

Re: Anyone have experience with exede voice?

said by DrModem:

I'm thinking about ditching my $80 verizon landline for viasat's $30 exede voice service. On the surface it looks good... But is there anything I should be wary of?

You pay $80 a month for phone service?

wm4bama
join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama

$80.00? Depends on the services that come with that option. I pay AT&T $90.00/month for my land-line...it has caller ID, 3-way calling and unlimited long distance to anywhere that can be direct-dialed...

So, from Alabama I can call an Uncle in California and a brother in Texas and have a 3-way conversation...just depends on what options you want with your service. Even if one was in Canada it would still be part of my basic service....so $90.00/month is OK with me...
Exede Josh
join:2013-11-11
United State

Exede Josh

Bama, you might want to consider the Exede Voice service. For $19.99 for 6 months ($29.99 after) you get all those features and unlimited calling to US and Canada...and it doesn't use your usage. Send me a PM on the forum if you want more information.

wm4bama
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama

Thanks Josh...but I have 6 cordless phones and one non-cordless phone connected and I lose satellite several times a year with strong thunderstorms...so I don't want to depend on the internet for communications and for 911 emergencies.. plus 3-way calling often used...call forwarding is also useful...

Internet phone service is not for me..
Exede Josh
join:2013-11-11
United State

Exede Josh

I understand, I just hate to hear about anybody paying $80-$90 for telephone service. I remember when my phone bill for my first landline was $18. Now you are lucky if you pay less than $40. No wonder so many are leaving landlines behind.

wm4bama
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama

Josh, I understand your point...but keep in mind that neither Satellite Internet nor VOIP services work during a power outages...and we have several of those here...just too risky to be without phone services during an emergency...

adadasdfa
@google.com

adadasdfa

Anon

What I mentioned before has every calling feature you mentioned wm4bama. But the battery backup lasts for only 2 hours talk time. Canada is only included in the $30 plan. US only with the $15. But there is no way it's as reliable as a land line (but you could switch your existing to 911 only).

Verizon directly has the same thing, cheaper if bundled, contract.

Not meaning to be pushing it, I just feel people should be informed of all their options, and choose the one they like best. Like if someone could get good cable, they might not want satellite, etc. Exede voice is fine, but I would never trust it for 911 either (having used 911 several times).
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by adadasdfa :

never trust it for 911 either

Aside - For truly rural folks (i.e., those who live 15+ miles away from a responder), its rather doubtful this service will be there in-time for a time critical emergency.

adadasdfa
@google.com

adadasdfa

Anon

Off topic
About 25 minutes for the ambulance, 5 minutes for the emt trained fire/rescue volunteer depending which is around when they call. Also depending, sometimes the helicoptor.
said by DrStrangLov:

Aside - For truly rural folks (i.e., those who live 15+ miles away from a responder), its rather doubtful this service will be there in-time for a time critical emergency.