spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AmericanLoco

@cox.net

[ALL] Extreme primetime slowdown - Northern RI

I'm in Northern RI, and lately my Cox HSI has been slowing to a crawl during prime-time hours, especially on weekends. Slowdown starts to occur around 7-11 PM EST, and usually goes back to full speed a little after midnight.

It's their preferred 25/5 plan, but prime-time on a Friday night, I can only manage around 8-12 mbit/s, and maybe 10-15 during a week day.

It's especially noticeable with Steam, where a download will slow down to around 800 KB/s - 1MB/s. During this period general Internet use will slow as well. If I run a speedtest with Steam going, I'll be lucky to get 500 kbit/s on it - so the connection is being saturated.

I've verified this with multiple computers, as well as connecting directly to the modem via ethernet.

Modem is a Motorola SB5101 connected to a Linksys WRT150N with DD-WRT. Power-levels during the slowdown are:
DL : 10.4 dBmV, 37.2dB SNR
UL : 43.7 dBmV

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

your down stream power is bad, make sure there are no splitters on the line to the modem that are not needed, also to help get more consistent speed you want to get a docsis 3 modem as the 5101 is an outdated modem

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to AmericanLoco

Warwick RI here and no problems reported.

I would start with signal levels and try to collect more data on the actual problem.

Also, upgrading you modem to D3 would certainly not hurt if money isn't as much a issue. Can't say it would fix the problem though.

AnonPhx

@cox.net
reply to m8trix

10.4 on receives is not what I would call "bad" it's .4 db over spec, and with a 37 SNR it's appears to be coming in clean to the modem. Removing any splitters would only serve to increase signal to the modem not lower it.

The 5101 is an older modem, and only docsis 2.0 I would start by upgrading to a 3.0 modem and see if the prime time slowdowns go away.

AmericanLoco

@cox.net

I looked at how everything was configured, which was a bit tricky as this is a very old house with some of the coax ran outside, with some splitters in a protective box.

It went Pole Feed (Thickest coax I've ever seen, nearly 1/2" diameter) > Phone Box > 3 Way splitter > Amplifier > 2 Way splitter > Modem/Cablebox. There was another two way splitter off the 3-way as well, but it only fed some standard televisions. I'm not even sure why we have an amplifier for just one television/modem feed out of the 5 coax lines for the house?

I changed it to Pole Feed > Phone Box > 3 way splitter > 2 way splitter > Modem/Amplifier > Cable box. Power level is now -4.7 dBmV.

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:10
reply to AmericanLoco

Get a D3.0 modem. It is very unlikely your signal is the issue. I would warn that after you get a D3.0 modem the WRT150N might become the bottleneck.

AmericanLoco

@cox.net

The modem is a rental from Cox. Can we just ask for a 3.0 modem?

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

you might want to double check that, only modems I have ever seen cox rent out are the gateways that have a router built into them

odog
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA
reply to AmericanLoco

If it is a rental I think you can just go to a Cox retail store and swap it. Or if you want, buy a D3 modem and save yourself the rental.

AmericanLoco

@cox.net

Welp, rearranging the cables did nothing. Here I am, 4:30PM on a thursday night, and I can barely manage 6 Mbit/s download speed.

Guess I'll look into a DOCSIS3 modem.

odog
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA

said by AmericanLoco :

Welp, rearranging the cables did nothing. Here I am, 4:30PM on a thursday night, and I can barely manage 6 Mbit/s download speed.

Guess I'll look into a DOCSIS3 modem.

Register and PM your modem MAC to me, I'd like to take a look regardless of what happens with the new modem.