jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28

Premium Member

going over cap

This month has been hell use more data than I have been. Watching CES videos I bought a larger SSD not I have to re download all my origin games. 300 GB cap is not enough I cant pay more because I don't have it. If your a repeat violator of their cap will they shut you off?

ikyuaoki
join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

2 edits

ikyuaoki

I have been on ultimate tier that provides 400GB cap I am so far, far under 400GB cap that which recent sustainable manageable. in your case, if you running into foul of cap repeating then they really CAN cuts you off for reasons as they really CAN kicks you off the cox network for a same reasons too.

move your level to ultimate tier that will raise your cap so little bit and also watch your cap in manner.

I am quote this Cox policy:

What happens if I exceed my monthly data plan from Cox?

If you exceed your data plan, Cox will attempt to notify you by one or more methods; email, phone, or messages on your computer. You can choose to reduce your data usage or select a different Cox High Speed Internet package that better fits your needs. In some cases, you may not be aware you are exceeding your data plan because your computers are infected with a virus that is sending spam or otherwise consuming data usage or you are sharing your Internet connection through an open Wi-Fi access point. Cox strives to work with you proactively before taking action to suspend service. However, in rare cases of extremely high usage, Cox will suspend your service until you call Cox. In even rarer cases, Cox will terminate your service if you do not decrease your usage after consultation with Cox. See Cox Online Privacy Policy and related terms and agreements for additional information
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
Do you have to download all your games in one month? Can you do it over a six month period? The TOS for Cox indicates they will terminate repeat violators who go over their monthly cap if they are uncooperative in making significant reductions in data usage.

"If you do exceed your data plan, Cox will attempt to notify you by one or more methods: email, phone, or message on your computer before action is taken. We will then work proactively with you. In many cases, customers are not even aware of their usage because they have an unsecured WiFi network used by others or a computer virus. Cox can work with you to ensure that these issues are identified and corrected. In other cases, customers may choose to reduce their usage or switch to another Internet package that provides more data. In rare cases of extremely high usage, Cox will suspend the user's service until they call Cox. In even rarer cases, Cox will terminate a customer's service if they do not decrease their usage after consultation with Cox."

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to jchambers28

to jchambers28
Just throwing this out there, since this seems like a legitimate case for flexibility of the rules, but if you swap the modems on your account, does it reset your data counter? Pretty sure it's tracked via MAC address of your modem right? Or if you really wanted to be sure, and not under contract, just cancel service for a hour then call to have it turned back on? There are lots of ways around it, but unless you have been contacted by Cox, I really wouldn't put much effort into it yet.

JeffinKenner
@cox.net

JeffinKenner to ikyuaoki

Anon

to ikyuaoki
How can then enforce the caps when the meter is always under maintanence? Sometimes I notice it shows less data than I thought I used, then the next day, its very high. It's like they add something they missed the next day. Will they complain if I'm 1 gig off because of a meter mistake?

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

1 edit

ikyuaoki

cap meter rate
they don't enforce at all unless someone who runs into foul of repeating of over the cap so many times within a month so the Cox will attempts to notify the account holder about this but if that don't work out in cooperation very well then Cox will ultimately terminates the account holder and will automatically kicks the account holder off of the Cox networks.

no matter what they will complains because of the mistakes, if they finds that they are 1 gig or more off so many times within a month. best option is unplug your cable modem from the cable outlet and wait for recycle reset of month then plug it back and enjoy it.

mine data cap is much lower rate within month.

JeffinKenner
@cox.net

JeffinKenner

Anon

The most I've ever used is 125 gigs out of 250. The first 4 days I used ~5 to 6. I've been watching a lot of Skyrim playthrough on Twitch lately. At that rate I'll still be under 150.
JasonCable
join:2013-01-31
Las Vegas, NV

JasonCable

Does anyone know of anyone who has ever been kicked off the network for exceeding the data plan? I've seen charts on here of people who really go over big time every month (I'm not one of those people) and they are still on.

Termites
@cox.net

Termites to jchambers28

Anon

to jchambers28
said by jchambers28:

This month has been hell use more data than I have been. Watching CES videos I bought a larger SSD not I have to re download all my origin games. 300 GB cap is not enough I cant pay more because I don't have it. If your a repeat violator of their cap will they shut you off?

i really don't care about their "CAP" how about over the Many years I used 100 gig out of 250 gig? They had that money which I didn't use their service in my opinion what you didn't use the prior month should be carried over after all you payed for it. Example used jan 100 gig unused 200 next month 500 gig.

I went over by 1 Gig in December 2013 they sent me a email.which I think that's a waste in spending money,they should give you a window say 10% of your service 300 GiG 330 before sending out useless emails for 1GIG over?
nmlobo
join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA

nmlobo

Your suggestion would not produce the result they are seeking . . it basically increases the cap for everyone by 10%. An email reminding you that you are within 10% of your max might be more logical.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

I don't know why cox would want to boot a paying customer. If they booted a lot of people they would loose a lot of money.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

said by jchambers28:

I don't know why cox would want to boot a paying customer. If they booted a lot of people they would loose a lot of money.

Cox would kick the paying customer if only they committed a offense as breaking the TOS agreement.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
At the present time few of Cox's HSI customers exceed the cap for their tier. Booting off the top 1% of customers who use the most bandwidth can be a good thing, if the savings from booting them exceeds the cost of servicing them. AT&T may have a better solution in per GB billing after exceeding the cap. As long as you pay your $10/50GB overage charge there seems to be no limit to how much data AT&T will let you transfer.