Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

[X1-X2] Latest News on NBC Live Extra App Coming to X1

»abcnews.go.com/Sports/wi ··· 21657080

Comcast's Twitter account sent this out just this morning - AWESOME!!!!!!

REALLY hoping they don't lock it down to only let you watch the Olympics - as this would finally bring the Premier League Extra Time channels LIVE!

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by SeattleMatt:

»abcnews.go.com/Sports/wi ··· 21657080

Comcast's Twitter account sent this out just this morning - AWESOME!!!!!!

Yes, I posted this news item about Comcast porting the NBC Sports Live Extra app to the X1 platform, as part of their coverage of the Olympic Games, yesterday: »Comcast To Try Out New Technology and Features for Olympic Games [0] comments
quote:
TV Everywhere Meets The X1

Comcast will test the IP video streaming mettle of its cloud-based X1 platform by porting the NBC Sports Live Extra TV Everywhere to the set-top (see image above), a move that will allow those customers to view the app’s content, which will include more than 1,000 hours of live streaming coverage and on-demand fare, on the TV screen, as well as on smartphones, tablets and PCs.

Comcast is the only pay-TV operator that is integrating the app with the TV for next month’s Olympics. Comcast chairman and CEO Brian Roberts demonstrated the combo at a Citi event earlier this month in Las Vegas (»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· p/147607). At the time, he estimated that about 1 million users were on the X1.

Comcast will stream video to X1 via the app in MPEG-4/H.264 using adaptive bit rate techniques, believing that it will need about 3 Mbps to 3.5 Mbps to deliver those IP streams in HD.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

CRAP! I thought I had finally out-headlined you! LOL. I never saw that yesterday. Nice work.

3-3.5MB for an HD feed though?? Yeesh - that's a bit on the low side. I hear U-Verse even at 6MB looks grainy...

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

1 recommendation

cypherstream

MVM

But it's adaptive bit rate, like Netflix does. Most traditional TV is constant bit rate which is wasteful. This is why DirecTV on demand buffers even on 20mbps connections.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

There are 3 EPL matches on Extra Time this afternoon - really would have been nice if they could've put the app on the X1 boxes today!!!
SeattleMatt

1 edit

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Version 3.0 Released

Noticed this morning that my NBCS LE App updated late yesterday on my iPad to Version 3.0 - and it looks SHARP. It's tailored for the olympics and the usual sports.

Visually it's their best work yet.

This would more than explain why it hasn't shown up on the X1 boxes yet. I'd expect it any day now.

If this app ends up looking the same on the X1 as it does on an iPad - I'm going to be excited.

MrJitters
join:2003-11-29
East Montpelier, VT

MrJitters

said by SeattleMatt:

I'd expect it any day now.

That would be nice, considering coverage starts in 2 days.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
This item was posted on Comcast's "Comcast Voices" blog today:

The Xfinity Olympic Experience: Every Minute. Every Medal. Every Screen. Unlike Ever Before
By Matt Strauss, Comcasst Voices blog - February 4, 2014
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· r-before
quote:
... However, the feature that makes these Games truly unique for Xfinity X1 subscribers is that, for the first time, we’ll deliver the NBC Sports Live Extra app, with over 1,000 hours of live streaming coverage, over the Internet directly to the TV via our cloud-based X1 platform. That means a feature that was previously only accessible on tablets and mobile devices will now be available on the biggest screen in the house. In addition, we’ve updated our X1 Sports companion app for the Sochi Games for those who want more information and control while watching Olympics coverage right on their TV, including the ability to tune to live and On Demand content.
:
We’re also testing new technologies and ideas during the Sochi Games:

Primetime Olympics Live on X1: In select markets, we’ll make NBC’s primetime coverage available on Xfinity On Demand immediately after it starts, giving customers who may be getting home during the show the opportunity to catch all the action from the beginning.
:

joejoejeo
join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

i have the winter Olympics and the NBC sports live extra apps on my X1 box

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Yep -
As I Feared, they only made it the Sports Live Extra app specifically for the olympics. So, no Premier League or any other sport via the app.

Really disappointed. And, it's only on the DVR. They really could've made a bang with this.

mark267
@199.107.26.x

mark267 to joejoejeo

Anon

to joejoejeo
Comcast link to Sports App
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· tra-app/

MrJitters
East Montpelier, VT

MrJitters to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt

Re: [X1-X2] Latest News on NBC Live Extra App Coming to X1

Had both apps briefly. They did not work. Checked again a few minutes ago and they are now gone along with that Movie app.
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

yes that is what happend to me too i will find out though by contecting them.
joejoejeo

joejoejeo

i just rebooted my box to see if that will bring them back. im trying this before i contact with them
update
it did not fix the problem so now i am going to contact them will post if they fix it or not

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

3 edits

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Yep - gone here as well. They must've taken them down. Either something wasn't right - or someone published them to the server too early.

I did use both of them - and they worked fine. The Live Extra app actually had streaming - it almost looked like a dark olympic village - so, it was working.

They probably saw me bitching and were like - "Well, Matt doesn't like it. FIX IT NOW!"

In regards to the customer link that Mark listed above -
Are you kidding me that they'd blatantly point out that using the app will count against your usage? Wow. 1 step forward, 7 steps back.

MrJitters
East Montpelier, VT

MrJitters

said by SeattleMatt:

Are you kidding me that they'd blatantly point out that using the app will count against your usage? Wow. 1 step forward, 7 steps back.

Learn something every day. I would have sworn that all these apps only went through the Docsis 3 modem in the X1 box and had NOTHING to do with our internet modem. Now I find out not only the sports app counts against our usage but so does Pandora, the only other one I use. Plus a few others I cannot remember.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

a little off topic but do you realize you can't watch the opening ceremony live in the united states. NBC blocked access to the live feeds from other places in the world so everyone gets to watch it tape delayed.
flint12
join:2014-02-04

flint12 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
I click on that link in Mark267 post and now it not working. Comcast removed it fast! Here is a search link that displays the NBC Sports App Topic. But if you click on the topic it takes you to a default help page. »sitesearch.comcast.com/? ··· ccentral

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by flint12:

I click on that link in Mark267 post and now it not working. Comcast removed it fast!

You can still view that page (for now) from Google's cached copy of it:

NBC Sports Live Extra App on the X1 Platform
Updated on February 04, 2014 at 4:22 PM
»webcache.googleuserconte ··· tra-app/
telcodad

telcodad to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

In regards to the customer link that Mark listed above -

FYI - Since that link isn't working, here's exactly what it said about that (taken from Google's cached copy):
quote:
The NBC Sports Live Extra app on the X1 Platform is available to all our X1 customers February 4–24, 2014 with the following:

XFINITY Internet service

• The NBC Sports Live Extra app on the X1 Platform is an "Internet App" on XG1 devices; so please be aware that the app will count towards your XFINITY Internet data usage:

• The amount this impacts Internet usage will mostly be impacted by how long you watch video in the app. A good estimate is that an hour of watching HD video will log about 1.5 GB of download usage.
• Please note that the actual connection to the Internet is through your set-top box and should not impact the speed of other devices in your home connected to your cable modem or router.

rej4sl
join:2008-07-11
Minneapolis, MN

rej4sl

the link is now working on the Xfinity website again.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· tra-app/ isn't working for me again yet. I just end up on the "Get Help & Support" page.

Do you need to be logged-in as an X1 user?
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

its working for me

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

It's BAAAAAAAAACK!

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to joejoejeo

MVM

to joejoejeo
said by joejoejeo:

its working for me

OK, it's working for me again also now.

MrJitters
East Montpelier, VT

MrJitters to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Yup, they're baaaaack, but still not woooooorking. LOL.
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

Try restarting the box that fixed it for me. Also I don't have internet so I don't know how the app works for me.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to MrJitters

Premium Member

to MrJitters
When they add it for the 1st time - each time I had to walk up - push the power button on the DVR - then push it again. After I did that - it worked perfectly.

Just woke up - it has Snowboarding as "LIVE" right now via the app - but it actually happened overnight. If you go to it - it's a gorgeous shot of a ski slope near Sochi - and you can see random people snowboarding down the hill for fun.

Yes, it's a static shot - but, appears to be HD quality. I'll try to test it out later today.

rej4sl
join:2008-07-11
Minneapolis, MN

rej4sl

I was awake in the middle of the night and watched some of the streaming and it was awesome. HD quality and I really enjoyed the bit of snowboarding I saw.

MrJitters
East Montpelier, VT

MrJitters to joejoejeo

to joejoejeo
said by joejoejeo:

Try restarting the box that fixed it for me.

Thanx Joe. The box must have reset itself during the overnight as the apps are working now. Very nice. I see the app will now give the rest of country feeds from CBC. Up here, that is on our channel lineup and they do a great job of covering the olympics, especially hockey.