All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

amb
@direcway.com

amb to dbirdman

Anon

to dbirdman

Re: [HN7000S] HughesNet refused to replace my modem, so I bought a used one.

I have heard of it, but I'm not sure how to do it correctly.

Just to clarify: my signal strength is currently at 82 and dips to 65-75 at night. The RX7 errors happened twice: once while it was raining and again when I was on the phone with HN. I mentioned it to him and he said that it was my modem, not my satellite- though I don't really trust what he was saying with how hard they keep trying to push Gen4. Haven't seen an RX7 error since then, but is that something that can just go away?

And to give an example of my slow speeds problem: I tried to download a 90mb file at 10am and it would've taken 8 - 10 minutes, which is normal for me. At 2pm, I tried to download the same 90mb file and the estimated time was 1 hour.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

Your speed fluctuation is within the normal range of experience on Hughes, which depends on transponder loading. By itself I would never take it to mean that there is a problem.

Your strength of 82 is only meaningful if it turns out that 82 is the best you can get. If you could get 90, 82 is poor.

With push-pull, you have someone watching strength as you push on one side of the dish (from behind) while pulling on the other, then the same with top and bottom. If you are properly pointed the signal will drop for each test. If it rises, you are not optimally pointed.

I do not, personally, consider pointing to be so difficult as to require a service call. It is something that at one time thousands of RVers did on their own. Not so much anymore as 4G has become ubiquitous.
dbirdman

dbirdman to amb

MVM

to amb
Incidentally, a signal drop at night can mean (but does not necessarily mean) moisture in the feedhorn that is condensing at night.

amb
@direcway.com

amb

Anon

79 was my average signal strength. I tightened the modem's cables a couple days ago and am now getting 80 - 83 throughout the day. Just checked at 9pm and it's 79/80.

We had a condensation issue (in addition to a broken piece of equipment- can't recall what it was) a few years ago that took three techs and almost a month to fix. The internet would work at night and on overcast days, but completely stop working when it was sunny out. Is moisture in the feedhorn something I can check out or fix myself?

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

It is usually obvious. There are a number of factors that can make fixing range from easy to impossible. I wouldn't worry about it if you can't see it.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to amb

to amb
said by amb :

79 was my average signal strength.

Average is not the goal here. Precipitation not withstanding, what's desired is a RX signal level that's otherwise consistent day or night. A regularly observed rise/fall of RX signal level on a 12/24 hour basis is a strong indication of a Center Of Box issue, which is just another another symptom of a pointing error. The push/pull test is a gross indicator whether or not you need your Az/El/Pol competently optimized to remedy such pointing errors.

It's the nature of forums that anonymous posters don't always get the degree of attention and/or assistance afforded actual forum members. And it benefits all when new members flesh out their profiles. Quite often it helps us help you when we know where you live without having to play 20 questions.

//greg//
amb7
join:2014-01-26
Chesapeake, VA

amb7

I live in Chesapeake, VA. This is my satellite information:

Transmit Path: Satellite
Outroute: Primary
Longitude: 113 West
Receive Frequency: 981 MHz
Receive Symbol Rate: 15 Msps
Receive Polarization: Vertical
Transmit Polarization: Horizontal
22KHz Tone: Off

I don't have access to the satellite until Tuesday. I'll have to do the push/pull test then. I also checked my signal strength at 8am and it's at 82. I'll continue to check it throughout the day.