All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

disconnected
@108.237.189.x

disconnected

Anon

[windows hosting] Dyn DNS Service Not Working Since This Morning?

I have a free Dyn account since 2005, which had been relatively trouble-free till now.

My domains just timeout now--all 9 of them.
For example, accessing the direct domain from Dyn results in a timeout.

»aamserver.dnsalias.com/A ··· ndex.htm

But if I access the current IP address of my dynamic IP connected server, I get the site immediately.

»108.237.189.149/ampexperts/

Does anyone know what's going on with Dyn? Are they down? Out of business, or just experiencing difficulties due to the cold weather?

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

Have you been visiting each account once every 30 days?

disconnected
@108.237.189.x

disconnected

Anon

Yes, and it says the status is good on the Dyn updater.
disconnected

disconnected

Anon

Now the error changed from timeout to 'the server refused the connection' when attempting to use the DynDNS URL. Only direct IP gets the site.

I'm thinking of trying the Namecheap dynamic DNS service again. I tried it twice in the past two years, but could never get it to work and always ended up going back to Dyn, but now that Dyn seems to be refusing connections, I am looking into Namecheap further..

So I have a Namecheap client running now, but it's coming up with the error :

"No records updated; A record not Found"

Namecheap doesn't have clear instructions about how to set it up. I put in something for the something for the host and the domain name for the domain, and the password that Namecheap generates when enabling dynamic IP, but it doesn't work. I'm going to have to manually update the records for all eight domains until I get this resolved.
disconnected

disconnected

Anon

I've changed the records to point to my temporary dynamic IP address to get the site back online for now until the next modem retrain. But I'm no closer to solving the dynamic IP updater problem.

I wish Namecheap had some decent documentation on how to set this up. I'm trying various things, but none are working. Got their dynamic updater client installed, but requests to go to the page result in a blank white page instead of the site.
disconnected

disconnected

Anon

Click for full size
I did everything according to the Namecheap instructional video on how to set up dynamic IP client and configure the A records, but it doesn't result in proper forwarding to my server. The direct IP address works fine, but the domain name still goes to a blank white page.

The domain name I'm testing now is "www.candlewoodmotionpictures.com" (results in blank white screen)

and the direct IP that works is "108.237.189.149/candlewoodmotionpictures" (displays web site correctly)

The screen shot above shows how I set up Namecheap's records, according to their video tutorial. But it's not working. Their 'forum' is currently awaiting moderation, so no help there.
disconnected

disconnected

Anon

Still experimenting with the Namecheap dynamic updater.. the problem is, every domain name forwards to the www root, not the sub-webs where my actual sites are. I'm running IIS and the way I URL forwarded with Dyn DNS was with the "/" and the subfolder containing each unique web site. Now that doesn't work with Namecheap dynamic DNS. Even if I put the sub root in the URL forwarding, it always goes to the root, which has nothing in it.

The way it worked under Dyn DNS, I had the "@" and "www" records set up as follows:

@ : »www.candlewoodmotionpict ··· Redirect
www: »aamserver.dnsalias.com/c ··· pictures Frame

So I tried that with the current setup, substituting aamserver.dnsalias.com with my current IP address. It now accesses the root of the server, but not the sub web it's supposed to go to.

Since this server doesn't have enough horse power to run eight copies of IIS, one for each web site, I run one copy and have each site as a sub web, which worked well for the past nine years. I thought it would be a simple matter to change to Namecheap's DNS updater, but apparently it doesn't work the same as Dnsalias.com's and seems to ignore the sub webs.
disconnected

disconnected

Anon

Here's what I wrote the support folks at Namecheap.. maybe someone here can spot what's causing my problem. If I don't put the /subweb name on the end of the URL, it just goes to the root web, which isn't where any of my eight web sites are.

I woke up to discover all of my web domains unreachable this morning. I had been using Dyn DNS for handling my dynamic IP since 2005 with relatively few problems over the years. However, this morning, Dyn is refusing all requests.

As a result, I'm making another attempt to make Namecheap's dynamic IP work for me. But so far, I am having not much success. It seems that the best I can do is forward domain to the www root of my server. But since my eight web sites reside in sub webs in my IIS server, what I had been doing was, under Dyn, setting up my records like this:

@ : »www.mwcomms.com Redirect
www: »aamserver.dnsalias.com/m ··· #9;Frame

In the above example, dnsalias points to my server and the /mwcomms sub root, where the mwcomms web site resides.

It seems like the way to accomplish the same result now is to do this:

@: »www.basspig.com Redirect
www »www.basspig.com/basspig Frame

However, the result is a "HTTP Error 414 Request URI too long" error.

How do I configure the records to point to the sub webs, the way I did in dnsalias?
disconnected

disconnected

Anon

I had to give up on this.. 40 hours troubleshooting and got nowhere.. someone suggested I try no-ip. So I configured all the redirect URLs to use no-ip dynamic service. That works. Only problem is sometimes the browser sits waiting for no-ip to respond. Sometimes it times out. So I need a better, more reliable solution. Maybe some day I'll find a way to get Namecheap's dynamic IP to work. That'd be best, as users don't see funny URLs displayed in the browser status bar while waiting for my sites to load.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
Why not pay a few bucks per month / year to have all of these headaches avoided, and host your sites in a data center with a web host? Are you losing money having these sites down?

disconnected
@108.244.237.x

disconnected

Anon

I don't have regular income, so I must avoid recurring expenses. Even renewing domains is sometimes financially burdensome.
So back in 2005, I devoted time and energy to set up my own server.
disconnected

disconnected

Anon

Namecheap got back to me and said I could use an .htaccess file if running Apache. Unfortunately, I'm running IIS.

So my question is this: is there a way to configure IIS to identify a web request from a domain redirect and route the request to a sub folder containing the pertinent web contents? Since all my webs are sub webs off the root, and since Namecheap's redirect with dynamic IP only reaches the root folder, I would need some mechanism in my server that could identify which web domain the request came from and route the traffic to the correct sub web folder. Is this possible with a simple configuration file?
disconnected

disconnected

Anon

I'm experimenting with using IIS to do the redirects, but I have no idea what file to modify, so I started with index.asp, then when that didn't work, I tried index.htm and put in the following code which I found on a page about running multiple domains on one IIS site:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
if(System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Request.Url.Host == "mwprovideo.com")
{
Response.Redirect("wwwroot/mwprovideo/index.htm");
}
else
{
Response.Redirect("wwwroot/index.htm");
}

From the above code, you can see what I am attempting.. I want the server to identify where the domain request came from (which domain name) and route the request to its corresponding web folder, containing that domain's site content. I have the feeling I'm in the city, but still not even in the ballpark.
disconnected

disconnected

Anon

I'm still working on solving this Namecheap dynamic DNS not routing to my server folders where the actually sites exist. Using their A record entries with the dynamic IP automagically filled in by their client which runs on my server, the domains all redirect to the root of the server, not their individual webs.

I've tried adding a www redirect field to the records, but it results in a 'redirect loop'.

There must be SOME way to make this work with an IIS server that runs multiple web sites under one server!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by disconnected :

There must be SOME way to make this work with an IIS server that runs multiple web sites under one server!

I've always used LAMP so not my area of expertise but it sounds like you want to something like this? »www.techstaty.com/how-to ··· address/

disconnected
@107.194.142.x

disconnected

Anon

From what I can tell, that article covers how to make IIS host multiple sites, which I'm already doing.

The issue is how to make the domain names point to each of those sub web sites on the IIS server, since basic domains point to the root server only.
I used to do this with Dyn DNS, as it was inserted into the URL Frame information at the domain host. So there was a dnsalias/subweb type address in the URL Frame info. But Namecheap's dynamic DNS uses A records, and A records don't accept "/" or non numerical data, so I can't steer the domains to their respective webs. They all point to the root if I do that. This one's been a real head-scratcher. I think there's a way, but it eludes me.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by disconnected :

The issue is how to make the domain names point to each of those sub web sites on the IIS server, since basic domains point to the root server only.

You're making it too hard. It's really easy. Have all the domains point to the same IP address. Then use #3 from the web page above to have IIS read the domain name and redirect to the correct subsite. I basically do the exact same thing with virtual hosting in Apache, hosting 60+ sites, all with unique hostnames, all using the same IP address.

disconnected
@108.250.152.x

disconnected

Anon

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I'm in the IIS management console, and right clicking on the web site of interest that I want to make this change to, but am not seeing a "selection.. sites", only a properties menu. When I open the properties for, say mwprovideo, it has a directory tab and the "when connecting to this resource..." go to "\mwprovideo" and 'directory' is selected. But it's not the same options as mentioned in the article. Where is this 'host headers' option that they talk about below:

"Expand the IIS Management tool and open up Selections, Sites. From this point you’re simply going to right-click on the sites in question and go to the “host headers” option"

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Like I said, IIS is not my area of expertise (or even minimal experience) but #3 is the equivalent of what you want to do. Poke around the existing help files on "subsites" etc. Do some googling -- the fact that that page exists tells me it's possible, you just need to find the right place in IIS to do it. And that that's HOW you want to do it: one IP address at Namecheap, and have IIS serve up the correct site based on the requested domain name.

disconnected
@108.250.152.x

disconnected

Anon

I spent most of the morning Googling this feature, but all of the discussions refer to IIS 7 or 8. Since this server is old, it runs XP. Possibly this feature is not on IIS 5.1?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Very possible

I don't know of a way to do it as an A record -- it's not a limitation of namecheap per se but of how top-level domains work as far as I know.

disconnected
@108.250.152.x

disconnected

Anon

Then does anyone know how to do this under XP with IIS 5.1? This has to be possible, but implimented differently. HOSTS file perhaps?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I don't know how else to do it. It appears that your version of IIS predates the need for what you're trying to do.

As far as the HOSTS files goes, that's for resolving hostnames on outgoing connections, not incoming ones.

disconnected
@108.250.152.x

disconnected

Anon

Okay.. guess I'm out of luck.
Presently, I'm using one of my unused domains to act as a redirector to a subfolder for my other domains/webs. At least it keeps traffic within the Namecheap system, but I'd like to eliminate all redirects eventually. Perhaps it's time to build a Windows 7 box and make a new server. This Athlon based machine served me well since 2005, when it was given to me as a hand me down from a friend. Only uses about 45 watts of power, so it's economical on electricity use.

I presume Win 7 comes with IIS and I can set up something like this and do the bindings like you mentioned?

nightwalker
Nightwalker
join:1999-08-07
Chicago, IL
ARRIS SB6183
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Cisco SPA112

4 edits

nightwalker

You can install Apache/MySQL/Php directly as well:

Apache:
»mirror.reverse.net/pub/a ··· s/win32/