MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 edit

2 recommendations

jaykaykay

MVM

Netflix

Netflix is threatening a corporate coup — in FAVOR of Net Neutrality!

In an open letter to investors, Netflix warned that if broadband providers started charging tolls for US Internet subscribers and slowing down video, it would encourage its 34 million American customers to join them in demanding an open Internet — and ditching ISPs who don't follow them.

This is an amazing first step, and an amazing ally to win in the war for a better Internet. But if we want to succeed, we need to make sure Netflix uses action, not just words.

Please, join us in thanking CEO Reed Hastings and CFO Davids Wells and encouraging them to take action, putting pressure on Internet Service Providers and call on the Federal Communications Commission to take back the Open Internet reins.

PETITION TO HASTINGS AND WELLS: Thank you for standing up for Net Neutrality and the right of everyone to have access to an Open Internet. Go one step further, directly reaching out to ISPs like Verizon and organizations like the FCC.

»act.watchdog.net/petitions/4230

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey

Premium Member

said by jaykaykay:

and ditching ISPs who don't follow them.

I wasn't aware Netflix worked over dialup.

/M
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Huh?
RTfM2010
join:2010-07-07

1 recommendation

RTfM2010 to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
What's more important to me, Internet access or Netflix?
Since I'm not a Netflix subscriber and don't intend to become one, they can hand-deliver their service/product if this Internet thing isn't to their liking.

anonome
@verizon.net

anonome to jaykaykay

Anon

to jaykaykay
I'm already paying Verizon too much for poor service that can't handle even single streams from sites like Netflix, Crunchyroll, and Amazon. I'm happy to leave entirely.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

2 recommendations

dave to RTfM2010

Premium Member

to RTfM2010
Getting Netflix *is* internet access.

The issue is that Verizon basically wants money from certain network sites that Verizon customers want to use. If Verizon doesn't get the money, access by Verizon customers to that web site will get slower.

So maybe you don't use Netflix. On the other hand, maybe a service that you do want to use will be next.

Maybe you aren't a customer of Verizon. Not to worry, your big ISP will smell the blood in the water and start doing the same.
doppler
join:2003-03-31
Blue Point, NY

doppler to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
Instead of netflix threatening your ISP with a user revolt, they should promote "Netflix Open Connect partner" deals.

By setting up local cache servers, ISP bandwidth on the big pipe is reduce to almost nil. Cablevision did this, to the delight of the users of optonline.

I am sure the local bill for electric and cost of the server equipment is far lower than a couple of months of big pipe provider bills.

Once the cable is laid down, transport of the content becomes very cheap. Verizon did this for fiber. What they are bitchin about is the DSL services which far outnumber the fiber setups. It's there fault for sticking with DSL copper "pots". So to makeup for poor planing they legislated to charge for content bandwidth.

Sadly they won that battle.

BTW, Did you know USA pays the highest for content per MB world wide.
AKA, South Koreans pay for 500MB service what Verizon charges for basic DSL.
If South Koreans want to pay a bit more they can get 1GB service. That's faster than most PCs can take in under normal conditions.

Sorry America we are getting screwed over, even more so with the new rule changes.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

Huh?

A lot of people have the choice of "the" cable company or dialup. Some don't even have that. While I do have DSL available (ATT Uverse) as an alternative, its speed is a fraction of that offered by the cable provider. I don't really have the option of "ditching ISPs who don't follow them" if my cable co is one of those ISPs.

/M

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

We have a duopoly here, too. No doubt both of them would be glad to go along with the new non-neutrality rules, leaving nobody to go to.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
Ah, I see your point.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to RTfM2010

Premium Member

to RTfM2010
said by RTfM2010:

What's more important to me, Internet access or Netflix?
Since I'm not a Netflix subscriber and don't intend to become one, they can hand-deliver their service/product if this Internet thing isn't to their liking.

Ditto. I am waiting for Netflix to do on demand payments instead of subscriptions since I rarely watch movies.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
I can't applaud this action because Netflix does not allow one to cancel a subscription and wipe out their user information EVER. Netflix should be boycotted by anyone who values their privacy. They are one of the worst on the internet for NEVER allowing your information to be removed from their data base after you cancel your subscription. That,of course, is because they want to sell your privacy...it is worth a lot....and they want to be able to sell it forever no matter how long ago you cancelled your membership. This is why I don't join Netflix. I have zero respect for the company because they have zero respect for their customer's privacy if they cancel their membership.

»justdelete.me/

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

2 recommendations

Name Game

Premium Member

That's Bull Shit again... and so is your assumption.

Will I have to start all over if I restart my Netflix account?
We'll keep your Watch Instantly Activity for one year after your account closes, so if you decide to come back during that time, you can pick up right where you left off.
Your recommendations and ratings will also be saved for one year, and if you were receiving DVDs from us, we'll save your Queue for one year after your account closes as well.

»support.netflix.com/en/node/407
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
So use a discardable email alias.

Naturally, they'll still have your credit card number. Just like anyone else you ever give your credit card number to.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

2 recommendations

Name Game to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
If all these posting you make about privacy in so many threads really had any merit..you would not even be posting in this Security forum and so many other forums which you have become a member because they all have policies that state they "own" all the data you post and there is more real privacy info contained therein you can never delete..even if you cancel your membership or subscription. It lives on forever.

»Site FAQ »DSLR and Free Speech
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20 to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
You are not bothering to read again. "My assumption" - what assumption? I have made no assumption. justdeleteme is NOT my website. I did not say that about Netflix policy. justdeleteme says it.

If you believe justdeleteme website is full of BS then tell THEM don't complain to me! GEEZ...

What Netflix says is a lie according to justdeleteme. I certainly would believe a website that researched all these sites and their policies on selling user information, making it from easy to impossible to delete that information depending on the website in question before I would believe Netflix. It is to Netflix's great advantage to sell your information even after you cancel your account and the fact you cannot delete your account EVER is a main reason why Netflix charges so little per month! You didn't think they were charging so little out of the goodness of their heart did you? Maybe you are naive.

Even if Netflix changed their policy, after they were exposed by justdeleteme, to keeping it only for one year (which I don't believe they did) that is almost as bad as never letting you delete your account! And you defend them with their FLIMSY EXCUSE they give? Most likely, if you are leaving Netflix, ESPECIALLY AT THE END OF THE 30 DAY TRIAL, you are leaving FOREVER AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT RIGHT THEN. The fact that they keep it even ONE DAY after you leave screams loud and clear that is the reason Netflix is cheap is because they make their money off of selling your information.

Netflix should never ever keep any information about what you watch. No one wants that! That's one reason people refuse digital TV because a set top box makes its easy for the provider to snoop on your viewing habits. Netflix's business is ONLY to stream whatever you decide you want to see. They should offer NOTHING except that. Fools want all that crap from Google that tracks and destroys your privacy. Knowledgeable folks don't fall for it and don't have gmail or any sort of Google account and if they use Google for searching they use Secret Agent for Fx or something similar to mask their searches. Same with Netflix. There is zero reason why one would want Netflix to keep track of what they watch and only a fool would create a Netflix account and stick in it what they watch or plan to watch in the future. Same with youtube. Only a fool allows cookies there and/or sets up an account. Amazon also tries to do this tracking and such crap that I get sick just thinking about how awful they are! I don't need my hand held which Amazon seems to think is what I do want! They are very wrong and are a blight on privacy.
Mele20

Mele20 to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
You are totally wrong on every count but I have had it with trying so many times to explain privacy on the net to those who don't have any and have an agenda to persuade everyone that it is not possible to have privacy on the net.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I have a feeling many companies keep your info for at least a year especially since many customers are always switching services all the time.

I went back to Cox HSI after almost two years. Called to cancel back then. Didn't have to give them any of my personal info again. Same password and all. Seem as though they were waiting for me to come back. It's like they just hit a switch and I was back with them instantly.
This is why I send a electronic check and never allow access for the auto withdrawal from my checking account. I use a specific credit card only for Netflix,home alarm,24/7 gym membership,Apple,Amazon,and my $30/mo AT&T grandfathered unlimited IPad 4 LTE. Always call to tell credit card company and change account number if I cancel one of them.
As far as Netflix and others like Amazon,AT&T,Apple iTunes ,etc. goes I've owned these stocks in my Roth 401k and Roth IRA since the 90s and have done so well that I just consider myself compensated and move on.

I cancelled Hulu last year but I bet they still hold my personal info.
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer

Premium Member

For what it is worth, I had ended my netflix subscription many years ago (when they still were primarily renting DVDs). My login is still active and they know who I am. I do not know what other details they still save, but they have at least my login, password, and name. They do still have my email as well as periodically (not often and not objectionable) they send me "specials" to get me to rejoin.

I'm not stating or implying they keep any other personal information, but they do at least keep some records apparently longer than the 1 year they claim.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

Whereas it costs any company time and effort to cull old lists, or old entries from current lists, there are also costs to leaving them in if they're no longer valid to the company - depending on what various things they use the listings for. The stories that abound about terminated-account information still being present in business lists years later convince me that those companies are doing something profitable with the entirety of data that they've accumulated. And if it isn't maintaining a current account, it has to be for their own future advertising or is being sold to data marketers.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

That doesn't sound a whole lot different to 'real world' business.

I once had a magazine subscription. As a consequence, I got a lot of invitations to purchase other magazine subscriptions. And when I no longer had the magazine subscription, I got a lot of letters suggesting I should re-open my magazine subscription.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
I personally would never stick with an ISP that made my favourite websites unusable whether it be Netflix, youtube or a gaming server. I suspect many others would leave too if a good alternative ISP existed in their area without the prompting of Netflix CEO. Although I do appreciate the sentiment, it is completely in Netflix's self interest to take this position.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
The problem is that in many locales, the cable/fiber/copper provider is essentially a local or regional monopoly, and those responsible for regulating local/regional monopolies to protect consumers simply aren't. Either the monopoly should be required to expand their capacities and capabilities, or the market should be opened to direct competition from those who will. Censoring carried material is not an acceptable solution.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

2 recommendations

onebadmofo to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
If prices get too high, and service gets too slow, maybe we'll see video stores opening up again.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave

Premium Member

More like Verizon will let you know that Verizon's content (only slightly more expensive than Netflix) mysteriously doesn't suffer from the poor performance that Netflix content does.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Stick to the OP please.

It's about Netflix (and others) not wanting to pay more for access, then ofcourse, passing the costs onto the consumer.

So what one should be asking, Should the internet be a utility and regulated? Can it remain neutral? And who should be its overseer? Users? Peers?
Seeing that ISPs and providers like Verizon, ATT, etc, are ditching the copper lines (phone) for fiber and wireless data (LTE), they are already killing unions (wireless workers are not CWA), they would get free-reign to charge everyone per packet. Think about it.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

If prices get too high, and service gets too slow, maybe we'll see video stores opening up again.

I hope so! I miss them. I still like physical medias with no lame DRMs. RedBox is the only choice where I live.

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
And those of us who dont have another ISP to choose from??
Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl to dave

to dave
More like Verizon will let you know that Verizon's content (only slightly more expensive than Netflix) mysteriously doesn't suffer from the poor performance that Netflix content does.
Comcast?? What?

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

Netflix is threatening a corporate coup — in FAVOR of Net Neutrality!

In an open letter to investors, Netflix warned that if broadband providers started charging tolls for US Internet subscribers and slowing down video, it would encourage its 34 million American customers to join them in demanding an open Internet — and ditching ISPs who don't follow them.

And right there is the biggest problem with that. Getting people to actually do something about it rather than just sitting on their asses and bitching hoping some one else takes care of it for them.

This so called "threat" is empty and the battle is already lost.