uniqs

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to PrntRhd

Premium Member

to PrntRhd

Re: [Appliances] Any good standard top loading washing machines left?

said by PrntRhd:

Cheaper to clean the old washer and kill the odor, use Affresh tablets and the odor will be controlled.
You already spent the money on the expensive appliance, run it until it is EOL.

That was the first thing I thought of but the odor seems to becoming from outside the washing system. I will try it again, to be sure. Maybe, I'll be in for a surprise.

I understand your point but the washer was the cheapest I found 20 years ago. It's past expiration date. If I have to pay a $100+ just to have somebody look at it, not worth it.

Thanks ArthurS and Hiker for the Speed Queen suggestion. I forgot them since they are not in the big box stores but there are 2 dealers within 20 miles.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

If it is EOL, then go for a new one.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
I was at Lowes today and briefly thought about walking through the appliances. I declined-last time I did that I go so depressed. You can't get any (decent) older style appliances now, except for a few of the absolute cheapest models that a landlord would buy for a trailer.

From what I saw, I could only find 3.9 CF or smaller top load washers now-don't know if it is some energy/water usage thing. Anything else goes to those agitator-less design.

I looked at the SQ site noted above-two of the washers were only 3.3 CF-that is pretty darn small.