All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

TNK
join:2011-03-22
HNVION17

TNK to mk1_416

to mk1_416

Re: Beating the TPIA modem dead horse...

said by mk1_416 :

said by TNK:

said by morisato:

Mac Locked maybe to the Old Modem?

I'm wondering if this is it. Plugged in my old Surfboard 5100 in and it still works.

Here's the BIZARRE thing. I'm getting 25 down sustained now and 35 speedboost. Prior to me trying all of this, I was capped at 10/1. Being on extreme I wonder if now I'm being allotted extreme speeds via DOCSIS 2!

Interesting times indeed. I'm going to call support back tonight and see why it still isn't working.

Was the 25Mbps result with or without your router connected? If it was without your router connected then the router is limiting you to 10Mbps. Check the settings, you should have it set to 100 or 1000/Gigiabit. Had the same until I realized that the setting was reset to 10, put it to 100 and my 25Mbps connection started running at 25 again.

Not the issue, that speed was with speedboost. I'm still 10/1 sustained.

Well, long story short is that they won't give me a D3 profile. I can use the modem as long as it's on the D2 profile even though when I called to tech he saw that I was bonded 8x3.

Oh well...maybe I should grab a ZyXEL (Hitron) 8x4 and see if they will provision that.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

If you're going to go the Hitron route why don't you just use the Rogers one and avoid the hassle?

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to TNK

Mod

to TNK
Complain to the CCTS and CRTC.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

What is the CCTS going to do? No where in Rogers TOS does it state that they allow any modem that conforms to the DOCSIS standard on their network.
zamarac
join:2008-11-29
Canada

zamarac to TNK

to TNK
said by TNK:

they won't give me a D3 profile

With what explanation? Try reaching a supervisor and voice record his explanation, then contact CCTS as the 1st step.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by zamarac:

said by TNK:

they won't give me a D3 profile

With what explanation? Try reaching a supervisor and voice record his explanation, then contact CCTS as the 1st step.

IIRC this was common to people getting 3rd party modems provisioned - you could finally find someone who would do it but you could rarely get D3 profiles provisioned. I know some people have third party modems provisioned as D3 but I think they do so by getting them entered into the system as the SMCD3GN.

TNK
HNVION17

TNK to zamarac

to zamarac
said by zamarac:

Tech, who was talking to fufillment, says that the only way my modem is allowed on is if they tell the system it's a DCM425.

Complaint process has been initiated. I'll see how it goes.

Having it provisioned as a D3GN doesn't really help me as the SMC D3 modem is 4x4.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

What speed profile are you aiming for? 4*4 is still capable of a fairly comfortable 100Mbps downstream and most congestion happens on the upstream and most Rogers D3 profiles are 4*3

TNK
HNVION17

TNK

said by sbrook:

What speed profile are you aiming for? 4*4 is still capable of a fairly comfortable 100Mbps downstream and most congestion happens on the upstream and most Rogers D3 profiles are 4*3

I'm going to flirt between extreme and extreme plus. My understanding was that the SMC won't do higher than extreme?
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

The SMC will do up to the old ultimate which is 75/10

TNK
HNVION17

TNK

said by yyzlhr:

The SMC will do up to the old ultimate which is 75/10

Then there I go. For my needs, 4x3 bonding will work fine for me.
TNK

TNK

Well it appears my struggle has come to an end. @RogersHelps and mgmt seems to think that there is no workaround to getting the system to see my modem as D3.

Would it be possible for you guys to vote up my post at Rogers Community Forums getting the modem-only idea some traction?

»communityforums.rogers.c ··· -id/1036
zamarac
Canada

2 edits

zamarac

Workaround may come from outside of Rogers, just follow your CCTS case and let us know how it goes.

As to "modem-only" idea, current modems allow to switch to bridge mode, so for a customer it really doesn't matter what model he's given. If you expect to pay less for renting a cheaper modem, the small difference wouldn't worse for Rogers to place several smaller wholesale orders with manufacturers, paying for each higher price.

In short, instead of telling them what equipment to buy, you may enforce your own BYOD rights.

If you don't use router features of the Rogers modem, and they refuse to properly provision to full spec your BYOD modem, you can also try to enforce your right to pay less for modem rent, if the features they charge extra for are proven to lower modem speed or can compromise your LAN security.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Except to switch to bridge mode, you have to call Rogers. And with some modems switching to bridge mode disables the web interface, so you can't troubleshoot the damned thing. While some people have worked out the user/pass combo they do keep changing them with firmware upgrades so that is another pain.

And why rent a gateway that you have to disable because the router's a piece of **** when you can buy a modem? That's the fundamental argument.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Exactly why bother, most routers today (the gateway) will be far more robust then the POS Rogers keeps shoving down the pipe,

While i't convenient to have just one device, it just doesn't work right for the average (read reasonably technical) user.

I picked up a SB6120 from Teddy Boom, works just fine for my 45/4 connection with 4x3 bonding.
zamarac
Canada

2 edits

zamarac to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

why rent a gateway that you have to disable because the router's a piece of **** when you can buy a modem? That's the fundamental argument.

Not sure, if all customers have to call Rogers to switch to gateway mode. And of course, when buying a modem, it makes sense to step out of the crowd and buy it for much less from a 3rd party. Freedom to bring a BYOD modem eliminates the need to use Rogers modem if one doesn't like it.
said by TNK:

On to office of the president!

That might be the wrong step. All CCTS claims go back initially to that very office, and by making them deny your request now, you make it a lot harder to resolve through that "soft" CCTS channel in the future.

TNK
HNVION17

TNK

The order is correct. First step is customer care, 2nd step is management office. 3rd is Office of the President, 4th is Ombudsman.
zamarac
Canada

4 edits

zamarac

This order IMHO is counter-productive, as there is no "system error" in your case, but rather intentional setup to suppress BYOMs. You're trying to resolve the issue within the same structure that purposely created it. The above 4 steps are not intended to override company "policies", but to investigate and fix "system errors", or at Ombudsman's level at times provide recommendations to management. So at each level they'll just build a stronger case that would be harder for the same folks to reverse later, when you eventually file with CCTS. A customer can hardly change a company "unfair" policy from inside, unless you "earn" an exemption. I doubt that cancelling a sub would work, since it takes more effort or staff motivation to remove the modem block than simply calling you with a retention discount. Or get in touch with the new President directly, it may work as he's just starting and has to change "something" anyway. Good luck with that...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr

They released a list of approved modems for TPIA, I see no reason why they can't be run on the Rogers Network proper. Except for pure BS.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

They released a list of approved modems for TPIA, I see no reason why they can't be run on the Rogers Network proper. Except for pure BS.

The most commonly given answer (usually by support / install techs here in the forums) is that gateways are easier to support.

Which, of course, is classic Rogers: Given the choice between improving things for the customers and improving things for Rogers, they never chose the customers.

I've said it many times... the minimal extra effort to allow an approved modem list for those inclined (and perhaps who supply their own devices and chose to support themselves) would pay enormous dividends in good will amongst higher end users. Let me bring a 6180 to the party Rogers. I'll never call you for tech support on it. Promise!

Instead, it's years after the DOCSIS 3.0 rollout and Rogers' "Advanced" device can't even stay on in bridge mode for more than 24 hours without needing to be rebooted. That's just how much Rogers cares about people interested in using their own routers.

Sigh.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I get that. I just find it interesting that a Rogers representative would say that customers have a choice of getting their modems from somewhere else when that clearly is not the case as frontline reps have never been provided with any training on how to officially support them.
DigitalRain
join:2013-03-16

DigitalRain

said by yyzlhr:

said by elwoodblues:

I get that. I just find it interesting that a Rogers representative would say that customers have a choice of getting their modems from somewhere else when that clearly is not the case as frontline reps have never been provided with any training on how to officially support them.

It's ridiculous. It's the same last mile whether you're with Rogers or TPIA. But they don't care. They want you to view their content on their network on their terms. Without TPIA, we'd pay be paying $80 for 20 GB and $10/GB overage fees. And that's not even getting into all the harm that too much media consolidation and too much vertical integration of services, Internet, and content does to us as a society.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

But it's Rogers retail policies as they can offer their own selection of modems vs mandated TPIA.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

said by elwoodblues:

I can understand that,I don't recall support for the old Terayon modems either (before I jumped the good ship Rogers)
DigitalRain
join:2013-03-16

DigitalRain to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

But it's Rogers retail policies as they can offer their own selection of modems vs mandated TPIA.

Naturally, but this is an area where the CRTC should be intervening on the side of consumer choice. Unfortunately, too many sheeple have been brainwashed to believe that any regulation automatically mean less freedom for them.

Rogers shouldn't be allowed to refuse to activate modems that will technically work fine on their network. Nor should they be allowed to refuse firmware updates to approved TPIA modems that do not have the correct firmware version.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

On one side I understand that but the regulation stops at the retail level which is only fair. Should Rogers then dictate TekSavvy's billing process, for example? It works both ways. Besides if you don't like Rogers own plans, that's what TPIA is for.

And also sometimes there are legitimate reasons for Rogers enforcing modem policies, such as the D3 transition. If they allowed customers to keep D2 modems on the network for higher tiers, the quality would suffer for the customer and the nodes would be used in an inefficient manner. In addition to the fact that a simplified modem lineup saves support costs.

There are obviously quirks in the modem policies that Rogers seems to do without any reason.. well actually they can barely run their own network so it's not much of a surprise they can't somehow manage firmware.