Search similar:

uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

painting with rattle can

Click for full size
I have '92 Corsica with about 155k on it, mostly used as a commuter car. (I drive well over 20k/year) I plan to keep it until something expensive breaks on it (i.e. tranny or engine), ends up in an accident, or until I get another car.

The paint is peeling in several places, but with the above in mind, I don't think getting a paint job would make any sense.

How do I need to prepare it for painting with a rattle can? Obviously, I would only paint those areas where the paint has peeled off, and I don't care if it doesn't look perfect. It has a silver gray paint with clearcoat, and that's from the factory.

TIA

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

I don't expect it would look any better after a fight with a rattlecan...

dfc888
Premium Member
join:2003-07-22
San Bruno, CA

dfc888 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Remove the trunk lid from the body, sand to metal, primer, paint, win!

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Why would I want to sand it?!?

It's primed already and as far as I can see the primer is intact.

dfc888
Premium Member
join:2003-07-22
San Bruno, CA

dfc888

Premium Member

If you really don't care for good quality can job then why even ask how to prepare? Just wipe some alcohol or solvent and blast away.... It'll stick a few ____'s I guess.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I the car were a keeper or I would want it to look really good, I'd just have the whole thing repainted, but a paint job may cost almost as much as the car worth.

It looks kinda ghetto with that peeling paint, and I simply want to make make it look less fugly.

I know I need to degrease it, but I don't know if I need another layer of primer, or I can paint on the pre-existing primer. I also think that I can't just use any solvent, though alcohol will probably be fine.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

said by aurgathor:

I the car were a keeper or I would want it to look really good, I'd just have the whole thing repainted, but a paint job may cost almost as much as the car worth.

It looks kinda ghetto with that peeling paint, and I simply want to make make it look less fugly.

I know I need to degrease it, but I don't know if I need another layer of primer, or I can paint on the pre-existing primer. I also think that I can't just use any solvent, though alcohol will probably be fine.

Just to make it less fugly, use a Scotch Bright pad to scuff the paint and surface well. Get etching primer, then hit it with a rattle can. Or do as my uncle done back in the 80's with his old Valiant. Get some automotive paint and use a brush. From a distance it looked good, up close not so good. But the paint lasted well over 10 years.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
The primer is the problem...

There was an issue with certain models of GM cars of that vintage; where the factory primer failed, and caused the exact issue you're having.

Rattle can is going to be near impossible to match the colour and finish.

Sand the problem areas, prime them, then multiple thin coats of colour. Clear to seal after... If you do full panels, it'll be easier then trying to blend.

If you want to keep it for a few years, a $500 blow and go from Maaco may not be a bad investment.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by LazMan:

The primer is the problem...

There was an issue with certain models of GM cars of that vintage; where the factory primer failed, and caused the exact issue you're having.

That explains it....

Rattle can is going to be near impossible to match the colour and finish.

It would be very hard to not get a better match than what I have right now...

If you want to keep it for a few years, a $500 blow and go from Maaco may not be a bad investment.

There is an issue that may interfere -- for example, the driver's side door cannot be opened (something broke inside). Also, the paint is pretty much OK elsewhere (not peeling yet). In addition, I just want to learn how to paint cars.

Lastly, I just spent over $700 to fix the ignition and change spark plugs and wires (has a V6, so it's very difficult to work on it) and together they would most certainly exceed the value of the car. Maybe next year if it still runs fine.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
It doesn't look ghetto: it looks like you were the unfortunate victim of a failed paint job.

Now, when you try to paper over it with spray paint-that looks ghetto and will be worse than it is now.

I wouldn't waste the time nor money to fix that. Put the money towards your next ride.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I think the material cost for this (1 can of etching primer, 1 can of paint, 1 can of clearcoat, very fine sandpaper, alcohol, etc.) will probably be no more than $30 - $40 -- peanuts compared to a new car.
Trimox
join:2012-09-24
Anywhere

Trimox

You are free to do as you choose with your own vehicle. With that said, To do the job correctly the tools alone would be more than a $500 macco job.

Paint gun: el cheapo $100
good $200-300

sander: el cheapo $20
good $150 or more depending on if you just need 1 kind or more

Compressor: here is where it get tricky: can't go el cheapo won't keep up with the spray gun or sander. Minimum $500

If you want to learn to paint a car that is admirable. First lesson forget you have ever heard of a rattle can. This comes from a person that has painted hundreds of cars and trucks.

There is just no way for it to even come close to look less "ghetto" than you say without doing it properly.

If you insist on rattle can just carry it around in you car (people do it with oil and other fluids all the time) and spray a little when it starts to look "bad" to you. Which I imagine will be from the moment you first spray it.

I would suggest just drive it till major drivetrain issue or the body rusts off of it. Those are in order of likelihood

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

Where is old Earl Scheib with the "Paint any car $99.95"? :P that was a ghetto paint job, and they painted the whole car.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Trimox

to Trimox
said by Trimox:

Compressor: here is where it get tricky: can't go el cheapo won't keep up with the spray gun or sander. Minimum $500

Well, I happen to have a 13 gallon, 15A compressor -- 7 SCFM @ 40 PSI and 5.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI.

If you want to learn to paint a car that is admirable. First lesson forget you have ever heard of a rattle can. This comes from a person that has painted hundreds of cars and trucks.

There is just no way for it to even come close to look less "ghetto" than you say without doing it properly.

We'll see. I have a tendency to do things just to prove naysayers wrong.
Trimox
join:2012-09-24
Anywhere

Trimox

said by aurgathor:

said by Trimox:

Well, I happen to have a 13 gallon, 15A compressor -- 7 SCFM @ 40 PSI and 5.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI.

Well here are just 2 paint guns

El really cheapo
»www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/···472.html

Good
»www.tcpglobal.com/itemdetail3.as···0GFG-670

Neither of which can your compressor keep up with so back to my previous statement.

You can find smaller cfm paint guns but you will not put out enough paint to stay wet all the way around the car. And that is when you end up with a dry spray line (hint: not good). I know you are just worried about the trunk lid which you could make it through but then you have paid for a gun that just does a panel at a time in my opinion a waste of money down the road.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

the driver's side door cannot be opened (something broke inside).

Shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to get it open and fix it. More than likely just a broken linkage in the door mechanism.

skipon11
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA

skipon11 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Cover it with contact paper.

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
Netgear R6400
Switches Trash Bin
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

rjackson to aurgathor

to aurgathor

Before

Click for full size
After
My buddy painted his bus with a rattle can in his driveway. I think it turned out pretty good.

RipTides
join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA

RipTides to aurgathor

to aurgathor
You can always do the "infamous" Rustoleum Roll-On job. I'm not even going to debate the pros and cons as it's more work than a sprayer and only ever looks good if you foam brush it on old fading plastic parts.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

I have '92 Corsica with about 155k on it, mostly used as a commuter car. (I drive well over 20k/year) I plan to keep it until something expensive breaks on it (i.e. tranny or engine), ends up in an accident, or until I get another car.

The paint is peeling in several places, but with the above in mind, I don't think getting a paint job would make any sense.

How do I need to prepare it for painting with a rattle can? Obviously, I would only paint those areas where the paint has peeled off, and I don't care if it doesn't look perfect. It has a silver gray paint with clearcoat, and that's from the factory.

TIA

I had an '89 Corsica with massive peeling paint. It's the nature of the beast - they did a terrible job painting those; as I recall, it was an issue with the clear coat, but the net net is that the paint comes off in sheets.

I just dealt with it... the hubcaps were the most valuable thing on my car anyway ...

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Now that the ignition is fixed, this car runs pretty decent, and compared to my other car (full size Bronco) it gets a reasonably good mpg.
aurgathor

aurgathor to RipTides

to RipTides
I won't even try brush or roller for this job.
aurgathor

aurgathor to rjackson

to rjackson
Given how that bus looked before, it shouldn't have been too difficult to make it look better.
aurgathor

aurgathor to skipon11

to skipon11
said by skipon11:

Cover it with contact paper.

?
aurgathor

aurgathor to TheMG

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

Shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to get it open and fix it. More than likely just a broken linkage in the door mechanism.

Yes, and I was already thinking of visiting a locksmith. But even if that is fixed, there's still other things that I want to get fixed before spending serious money on a paint job.

The windshield washer doesn't work (I already visited a Chevy parts department over a year ago, but they didn't have the needed part)
The electric fan doesn't turn on (I may just have to wire in my own switch/relay if I can't fix it by summer time)
The parking brake doesn't lock/stay engaged (something is broken in the handle)
The interior light doesn't work (bulb and fuse checks out OK)
It leaks water somewhere around the windshield, and also in the rear. (I may have fixed the leak in the rear with some black silicone, but haven't tested it yet)

None of the above are serious enough to prevent me to use the car, and I think I can fix most of them over time, especially if I can obtain the necessary parts. But in any case, these should explain why a professional paintjob is not a viable option at this time.
BTW, none of the above broke on my watch.

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

1 edit

natedj to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Reading this thread reminded me of a guy who painted his entire car for a grand total of $50 with a roller and Rustoleum paint with stellar results. I'm not sure where I first found the link but it is a good read. »www.rickwrench.com/50dol ··· int.html

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Don't know about in Washington, but up here (Ontario, Canada) - the parking brake, windshield washers, and door latch, are enough to fail a safety inspection, and pull the car off the road...

(Not busting balls - just facts).

None of them should be a big deal to fix - but should be fixed.

The door in particular is a problem for me - if you're ever in a wreck or the car catches fire; not being able to use the door is a massive safety concern. I'm not sure if a locksmith would be the right trade - around here, anyways, it would be a mechanic for everything but the lock cylinder itself...

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

No safety inspection here. Normally, I'm the only person in that car and the driver's side door is good.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
»www.rickwrench.com/index ··· int.html

I did this on a truck bed once, and it actually turned out pretty good.

skipon11
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA

skipon11 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Fix all the other stuff before you even consider paint!