AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

[Serious] Fraud.

I have a dilema.

My ex-wife is crazy. Not in a good way. I put up with it (we have kids).

Anyway, I have good credit, and would like to keep it that way. However, last month I got a notice from a collection agency on behalf of another company, neither name could I recognize. A quick google however came up that the company reported the loss (Electrum) is actually Tupperware. My ex is selling Tupperware. I confronted her about the debt (she's getting divorced from or 3 or 4th husband, I have no idea) and she said "some ladies check bounced" and she agreed to pay me back for the loss, since I had already went ahead and paid off the debt.

Here's the thing, do I report this 'fraud'? This is a form of identity theft. I see many issues, such as problem with the CRA/IRS regarding income. I have no idea what else she has used with my name.

Just how serious is this?

That's all the info I will provide for now...
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Sounds like it's serious enough to discuss with an attorney.

If you have no other lawyer, perhaps the one who handled your divorce and thus is familiar with your ex- already?

Ask the lawyer if you should contact the police.

Also discuss with your accountant if you have one.

And regardless of anything else, obtain current copies of your 2 major credit reports.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

Probably a good idea, I'll call my lawyer on Monday.

Should be noted, she also defrauded the government. She was collecting paternity checks when she went back to work, $4,500 in total. They said it was fraud, she disagree's saying that she contacted them telling them she was back at work, not HER fault that she got the money. I did tell her that it was HER fault that she spent that money. I know if I call the CRA out on this, she might be in some serious trouble. I just don't need issues from the IRS or CRA.

I try to do my own accounting now, I had a bad manager a while back and created some major issues.
wisdomx
join:2012-09-07

wisdomx to AppleGuy

to AppleGuy
How was she able to gain access to your credit after the divorce? Do you have any joint accounts you forgot to close?

AppleGuy
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

I don't think she accessed my credit. She used my name to sign up with Tupperware to earn money (sell that product). I have issue with someone using my name to earn income. It's an issue with the IRS/CRA (there is US income) and well as other bounced checks.

We do have an old joint account which I don't access, only to put money into for support.

I have no idea why she'd think this is okay, other than she can earn income without legally having to declare it.

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope

Simply put, it's fraud. Contact the police and your lawyer.

God knows how many more times she might try to use your name in the future too. Best to stop it right now.
quote:
I have no idea why she'd think this is okay
Because as you said, she's nuts? :P
wisdomx
join:2012-09-07

wisdomx to AppleGuy

to AppleGuy
Oh man.. yeah call the police for sure. Who knows how long this has been going on for. She may have done it for a while with different companies and they just haven't contacted you as of yet or don't know how to. That is insane.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to AppleGuy

Premium Member

to AppleGuy
said by AppleGuy:

We do have an old joint account which I don't access, only to put money into for support.

Are you an idi*t?
She's your freaking' ex and you have a JOINT ACCOUNT????

If all you are doing is depositing money into it - for some unknown reason or for meeting a court obligation - you do NOT need to be JOINT on the account!!!! Just take a cheque to her bank (eg. TD) and say "I want to make a deposit to account # 123456 at branch 1234 in the name of Ex-Mrs.AppleGuy". They'll deposit your cheque just fine. Or you can do a payment via web banking from your account to her account as a Payee.

GET YOUR NAME OFF THAT ACCOUNT PRONTO.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to wisdomx

Premium Member

to wisdomx
There is something wrong with her, that's for sure.

Another example, way way back when we were still married, she got into this Mary Kay makeup crap. Anyway, she did this order, maybe $400 worth, and somehow the shipper bundled her crap with another order (about $4,000), she thought it was okay keeping everything. Couldn't convince her otherwise. That woman has no integrity what-so-ever.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to Kitlope

Premium Member

to Kitlope
said by Kitlope:

Simply put, it's fraud. Contact the police and your lawyer.

God knows how many more times she might try to use your name in the future too. Best to stop it right now.

Exactly. Bad behaviour must be squashed immediately and decisively. Do not give her a free pass just because you have a shared history. This was a completely inappropriate use of your name and credit.

And for God sakes, remove your name from anything and everything you might share today. Give her money orders for child support.

Actually, reading a few more red flags in your posts, I would sue for sole custody.

modemport
join:2013-08-26
Montreal, QC

modemport to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
I have to agree with this.

Any transactions, cheques that bounce etc in the joint account can affect your credit rating simply because the account is in your name as well as the ex-. It won't matter who did the negative action, it's your credit rating at risk.

Formally close the account. Get the information on her account to make monthly internet bank to bank deposits, or simply start mailing her a cheque.

You have to ask yourself what else has she done using your name without your knowledge and consent. And what affect that can have on you personally.

If she has knowledge of any of your financial information (bank account #'s, credit card #'s, etc) you need to cancel them and get new accounts.

OverrRyde
join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde to AppleGuy

to AppleGuy
wait wait wait...

you are telling me, that i can sign up for a product like Tupperware using someone else's name, get a crap load of stuff, not pay for it, and the other person will be on the hook?

make no sense, and if the above is correct, you should be going after Tupperware as well.

Am i missing something?!

AppleGuy
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. You need to sign that person up as a Tupperware representative, and go from there. I'm unsure what info Tupperware asks for, so I'm going to find out. I'll likely use twitter for that,,,

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

1 recommendation

El Quintron to AppleGuy

Premium Member

to AppleGuy
For starters I feel for you, because I have an inlaw that engages in the same behavior as your ex fairly consistently (eg: tries to sign up for avon/tuppeware/mary kay/milluca under family and friend's names and get stuff shipped to their addresses) and is completely bonkers.

By letting this go on, you're enabling her; and she'll continue in this direction, because in her mind you're being supportive. Cut her off, close any and all remaining accounts, get a credit check and press charges. You'll be doing yourself, your kids and her a favor in the long run.

ghent123
join:2011-12-13
Alexandria, ON

ghent123 to AppleGuy

to AppleGuy
First thing to ask is did she sign up for this while you were still legally together.
Second did she do it with the joint account.
If yes to either of those two it won't fall under fraud in Canada. Can be fought but much harder if either of these two are a yes.

Things to protect yourself if neither or even if yes to one or both. Document everything you find, bring it to police (Sadly this won't do much since they we laugh it off most of the time)
Go and see a lawyer, most will give you a free hour to see if you have a case or not. Make sure you have any documentation you found and bring with you.

Also most Credit Card providers have a service for credit protection, most give 30 days free then around 20 per month after that.
What this service does is pulls your credit reports with everything on it and mails it to you every month.
It allows you to find error and try and correct them. Not the most easiest thing to do is remove something from credit reports. But very easy to get something that isn't you put onto it. Which can damage your credit very quickly if not fixed.
Do not get the insurance, this is something very different and not worth the cost most of the time.
You can get a free one from Equifax as well but mail or faxing in your request and it will mailed out to you.
Can get same service from Equifax links are
»www.equifax.com/ecm/cana ··· Form.pdf (Free credit report request form)
»www.consumer.equifax.ca/ ··· ca/en_ca
Most of the time they will have a section explaining if there is an error how to correct it. But its a long process and sometimes you can't get it off. The business in question really is the one that has the request to be removed.

As others have said, get yourself removed from the joint account. Most banks require both parties to be present or a letter from other party saying the other person can be removed. Having a joint account can legal bind you two together if it's done on that account. If you both have same bank you can do a payee account and money will be in ex's account next business day. If not you can do check or e-transfer ($1.50 charge from most banks, interact email to email)

Sadly I've gone through this right after our paper work was done and it was a nightmare and destroyed my credit rating because of her, but hers is just fine. But I won't say more since it will get into political aspects of our system.

With the credit report you'll be able to see if she did do anything else under your name. Also with the $20 service from Equifax or your CC provider they have alert systems in place that will either email you or sometimes txt you someone just tried to use your credit to open something. Actually any time there is a hard hit onto your file you will be alerted about it.

As a last step you can also notify Equiafax and/or Transunion that your Identity has been compromised, tho that is something you do if you lost your wallet or something and will put a flag on your credit file in cases someone tries to use your credit in some way. But since the damage might have already been done kind of pointless to do.

Wish you the best of luck with it all, never an easy thing to deal with as well hopefully you come out of it all on top of it.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by AppleGuy:

Are you an idi*t?
She's your freaking' ex and you have a JOINT ACCOUNT????

If all you are doing is depositing money into it - for some unknown reason or for meeting a court obligation - you do NOT need to be JOINT on the account!!!! Just take a cheque to her bank (eg. TD) and say "I want to make a deposit to account # 123456 at branch 1234 in the name of Ex-Mrs.AppleGuy". They'll deposit your cheque just fine. Or you can do a payment via web banking from your account to her account as a Payee.

GET YOUR NAME OFF THAT ACCOUNT PRONTO.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. LISTEN TO THIS ADVICE NOW.

There is absolutely no reason for you to pay support into a joint account. It WILL damage your credit, if it has not already done so. The easiest and most simple way to pay child support is to pay by cheque, drawn on your account or on an account you have for that purpose and that purpose alone. Deposit it to her account as outlined above. Have overdraft protection of one or two months' worth of support payments, just to cover contingencies.

The other way (and safer way for you) is to initiate an electronic funds transfer from your account to hers on a specific day of the month. This is a standing transfer. It may cost you something, but depending on your banking services package, it may also be free. Simply ask her for a voided cheque for the account she wants the money to go in to. If she balks or refuses, have your lawyer write a letter to her lawyer telling her that she has no choice. Withhold support if she balks. Then pay up immediately when she comes around (and she will; money always talks).

If none of that works, offer to go through the provincial family support office. Given that nightmare, support recipients usually go along with the EFT option.
DKS

DKS to AppleGuy

to AppleGuy
said by AppleGuy:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. You need to sign that person up as a Tupperware representative, and go from there. I'm unsure what info Tupperware asks for, so I'm going to find out. I'll likely use twitter for that,,,

No. Contact Tupperware directly or have a lawyer do that. This is NOT something for social media.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
i would never have a joint account with an ex...i simply had the account information of my ex and deposited the money directly into it every month.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to AppleGuy

Premium Member

to AppleGuy
I agree you should not have a joint account with your ex. I make payments twice a month to my ex. Each time I go into the bank and make an account to account transfer (unfortunately I cannot do such transfers online).

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

i would never have a joint account with an ex...i simply had the account information of my ex and deposited the money directly into it every month.

....I use Interac e-Transfer.....I could go the direct route but...at least this way I have a record of it....vs straight cash and its just not convenient for me to get to her bank....

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

No. Contact Tupperware directly or have a lawyer do that. This is NOT something for social media.

Agreed. This is lawyer time, not "thinking logically time".

Support payments should be made by cheque.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to AppleGuy

Premium Member

to AppleGuy
OP, it is a shame that all this happened, but at this point it is more and more clear that you need to let experienced lawyers handle all this.

It will hopefully avoid far worse and more costly problems later on.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

....I use Interac e-Transfer.....I could go the direct route but...at least this way I have a record of it....vs straight cash and its just not convenient for me to get to her bank....

If you bank at the same institution you can set up the person as a "personal payee" They would then appear in the area where your bills are listed, and you can pay them free online

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to AppleGuy

to AppleGuy
Interac e-Tranfers cost 1.00$-2.00$ per transfer, take 30 minutes to reach the other person. The limit is 2000$ per day. Only Laurentian Bank isn't participating in the e-Interac network at this point. Desjardins and National Bank just joined less than a year ago. TD, BMO, RBC, Scotia, ING and CIBC have been offering it for some time.

I would close the joint account immediately and start using interac e-transfers for your alimony payments.

Mentally unstable people are completely unpredictable. I would severe any and all ties, legal and otherwise, on all paper trails that ever existed. From what you're saying she's an immoral person to boot who can't even acknowledge when she steals from others, so that would make me go to the bank very fast.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

when you deposit into the account, you get a receipt...you may need to ask for one, but they usually ask you anyway.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Well, it's not alimony, she's been remarried a few times. Just child support. It's an account I don't use, I really didn't see any issues using that account since it has no over-draft or anything. I liked the set-up because of the legit paper-trail. But e-Transfer might be a good idea.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Not a good idea to keep that account, period. I don't care what the reasons are, get your name off it pronto.

Needlawyer
@comcast.net

Needlawyer to AppleGuy

Anon

to AppleGuy
You didn't say how old kids are and how often you see them and if there are any agreements on joint custody or visitation rights, etc. Or I missed it in posts above.

And I agree with those above on how to handle money issues and get police involved.

But you should also expect kickback from ex-wife - she very well may cutoff access to your children. Many women are EXTREMELY vindictive when crossed and use children in divorce as weapons of war. You may need to obtain an attorney to keep seeing your kids.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to AppleGuy

to AppleGuy
said by AppleGuy:

Well, it's not alimony, she's been remarried a few times. Just child support. It's an account I don't use, I really didn't see any issues using that account since it has no over-draft or anything. I liked the set-up because of the legit paper-trail. But e-Transfer might be a good idea.

You don't understand how bank accounts and credit ratings are connected. Ask your bank manager or ask a lawyer. You want absolutely nothing. NOTHING to do with your ex's financial affairs after a divorce. It WILL destroy you.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

1 recommendation

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by DKS:

You want absolutely nothing. NOTHING to do with your ex's financial affairs after a divorce. It WILL destroy you.

@OP

That's advice you can bank on.