Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

2 recommendations

Name Game to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: Netflix

That's Bull Shit again... and so is your assumption.

Will I have to start all over if I restart my Netflix account?
We'll keep your Watch Instantly Activity for one year after your account closes, so if you decide to come back during that time, you can pick up right where you left off.
Your recommendations and ratings will also be saved for one year, and if you were receiving DVDs from us, we'll save your Queue for one year after your account closes as well.

»support.netflix.com/en/node/407
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20

Premium Member

You are not bothering to read again. "My assumption" - what assumption? I have made no assumption. justdeleteme is NOT my website. I did not say that about Netflix policy. justdeleteme says it.

If you believe justdeleteme website is full of BS then tell THEM don't complain to me! GEEZ...

What Netflix says is a lie according to justdeleteme. I certainly would believe a website that researched all these sites and their policies on selling user information, making it from easy to impossible to delete that information depending on the website in question before I would believe Netflix. It is to Netflix's great advantage to sell your information even after you cancel your account and the fact you cannot delete your account EVER is a main reason why Netflix charges so little per month! You didn't think they were charging so little out of the goodness of their heart did you? Maybe you are naive.

Even if Netflix changed their policy, after they were exposed by justdeleteme, to keeping it only for one year (which I don't believe they did) that is almost as bad as never letting you delete your account! And you defend them with their FLIMSY EXCUSE they give? Most likely, if you are leaving Netflix, ESPECIALLY AT THE END OF THE 30 DAY TRIAL, you are leaving FOREVER AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT RIGHT THEN. The fact that they keep it even ONE DAY after you leave screams loud and clear that is the reason Netflix is cheap is because they make their money off of selling your information.

Netflix should never ever keep any information about what you watch. No one wants that! That's one reason people refuse digital TV because a set top box makes its easy for the provider to snoop on your viewing habits. Netflix's business is ONLY to stream whatever you decide you want to see. They should offer NOTHING except that. Fools want all that crap from Google that tracks and destroys your privacy. Knowledgeable folks don't fall for it and don't have gmail or any sort of Google account and if they use Google for searching they use Secret Agent for Fx or something similar to mask their searches. Same with Netflix. There is zero reason why one would want Netflix to keep track of what they watch and only a fool would create a Netflix account and stick in it what they watch or plan to watch in the future. Same with youtube. Only a fool allows cookies there and/or sets up an account. Amazon also tries to do this tracking and such crap that I get sick just thinking about how awful they are! I don't need my hand held which Amazon seems to think is what I do want! They are very wrong and are a blight on privacy.

Moriarte
Premium Member
join:2004-02-13
Spring Hope, NC

Moriarte

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Netflix should never ever keep any information about what you watch. No one wants that!

Actually, as a parent I like being able to go in and see what my children have watched on Netflix while I was away from home. Heck, I even like being able to see what my SO was watching on Netflix while I was away from home.
said by Mele20:

That's one reason people refuse digital TV because a set top box makes its easy for the provider to snoop on your viewing habits. Netflix's business is ONLY to stream whatever you decide you want to see. They should offer NOTHING except that.

I would think it would be Netflix's decision, and the decision of it's customer base as to what perks/features they provide, not you. You, as in all capitalistic ventures, have the right to not participate, but I stop short of saying you have the right to dictate what they do or don't offer their customers.
said by Mele20:

There is zero reason why one would want Netflix to keep track of what they watch and only a fool would create a Netflix account and stick in it what they watch or plan to watch in the future. Same with youtube.

I think I just gave a very valid reason. As long as I am aware they are doing it, I don't see a problem with it.
said by Mele20:

Only a fool allows cookies there and/or sets up an account.

Not going to argue that there are a lot of fools out there. That is definitely a fact... We can disagree on the stick used to judge who is one and isn't one though.
said by Mele20:

I don't need my hand held which Amazon seems to think is what I do want!

That is great. But most regular users of online products are not as savvy and most of them look for features when shopping for a service online, not privacy. You should send a letter to Amazon suggesting that they offer a premium service that allows you to use their product but provide better privacy protection. If there was a market for it, I have no reason to believe they wouldn't offer it. If enough folks were willing to pay for it, it would come to fruition.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Netflix should never ever keep any information about what you watch. No one wants that!

Oh?

I have found some great stuff because Netflix said "If you like $THIS you might like $THAT".
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

6 recommendations

dave to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

... and only a fool would create a Netflix account and stick in it what they watch or plan to watch in the future.

You understand that I do not like being called a fool by you?

Since you've called me a fool, should I treat you the same way in future?

If you don't really intend to call me a fool, then watch what you write, and stop it with the sweeping generalizations.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

5 recommendations

Steve

said by dave:

You understand that I do not like being called a fool by you?

She believes she can choose what's best for you better than you can choose what's best for you, because her tastes trump non-Mele tastes.

It's a compelling point that I am hard-pressed to counter.