antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Apple.com does more to protect your password, study of top 100 sites finds

»arstechnica.com/security ··· s-finds/ from »www.bluesnews.com/s/1484 ··· ty-dance ...

Interesting list.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

1 recommendation

DownTheShore

Premium Member

Amazingly, 55 percent of the sites accepted weak passwords such as "123456" and "password," while Toys R US, J.Crew, 1-800-Flowers.com, and five other sites sent passwords as plaintext in e-mails.

It's surprising that the people who are setting up the websites are not taking the simple step of making sure that weak passwords and common words are simply not accepted by the software when setting up accounts. Seems to me that that should be their first line of defense. I would expect the IT people in major corporations - who should be hired for their skill, not just promoted into that position as is likely to happen in small companies - to know better.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

It sounds like some of the server software makers need to update their password generation modules. I don't think sysadmins usually muck about in those parts of the server software.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

Wouldn't they be the ones choosing which servers to use? I'm just asking, because I really don't know.