share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Name Game

Re: Netflix

You are totally wrong on every count but I have had it with trying so many times to explain privacy on the net to those who don't have any and have an agenda to persuade everyone that it is not possible to have privacy on the net.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

Stick to the OP please.

It's about Netflix (and others) not wanting to pay more for access, then ofcourse, passing the costs onto the consumer.

So what one should be asking, Should the internet be a utility and regulated? Can it remain neutral? And who should be its overseer? Users? Peers?
Seeing that ISPs and providers like Verizon, ATT, etc, are ditching the copper lines (phone) for fiber and wireless data (LTE), they are already killing unions (wireless workers are not CWA), they would get free-reign to charge everyone per packet. Think about it.
--
Splat

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by cableties:

Stick to the OP please.

It's about Netflix (and others) not wanting to pay more for access, then ofcourse, passing the costs onto the consumer.

So what one should be asking, Should the internet be a utility and regulated? Can it remain neutral? And who should be its overseer? Users? Peers?
Seeing that ISPs and providers like Verizon, ATT, etc, are ditching the copper lines (phone) for fiber and wireless data (LTE), they are already killing unions (wireless workers are not CWA), they would get free-reign to charge everyone per packet. Think about it.

I think it was the UN that a couple of weeks ago said Internet access was a human right.

Add to that, many on this site and in the USA think/feel the internet is a must have and that the poor should get access to it [paid for by tax payer or maybe extension of the phone charge].

So putting those 2 things together makes me think that it won't be long before the US government steps in and says it's a necessity like gas, electric, water. And by doing so regulates the price range in which the consumer can be charged.

Right now I'm in the wait and see phase. Waiting to see if rates go up, and if they do decide on killing my internet service or Netflix.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by Snakeoil:

... So putting those 2 things together makes me think that it won't be long before the US government steps in and says it's a necessity like gas, electric, water. And by doing so regulates the price range in which the consumer can be charged.

And they'll probably assign the NSA the responsibility for regulating it.
--
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

Moriarte
Premium
join:2004-02-13
Spring Hope, NC

1 recommendation

reply to Snakeoil

Human right? Ugh... Anyway, the companies that "provide" the access to the internet should have a right to profit from providing that access. That is what they use to maintain and expand access to the internet. I don't have a problem with them doing that. But I do have a problem with the lack of competition in most markets. If there was more competition, prices would drop. But if you have a monopoly, you are at their mercy.

Rather than see the US Government step in to regulate pricing, I would much rather see some regulation that opens up market competition.
--
Democracy isn't about aour ability to pick good leaders, it is about our right to pick bad ones - MoriarteGemThe Blade must pass through the fire, else it will break -Par Salian

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

I agree. I think it's stupid that cable has the "last mile" of protection. Though I think it's more then a mile, because in my area it seems they operate in regions.

I haven't tried a second party DSL provider, like I did when I lived in GA. So I'm not sure how "protective" AT&T is of it's last mile. When i was in GA my first DSL provider was a second party, who went out of business. Bellsouth has no issue with leasing them the DSL lines, nor hooking me up after they went under.
I've been in AT&T country in Ohio for 6+ years. Every year I check to see if Uverse hits me, and every year it doesn't.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Blackbird

lol.. I wouldn't be surprised, or at least the FCC.