Search similar:

uniqs
JimWalker
join:2004-04-15
Fairfax, VA

2 edits

JimWalker

Lost router password for MI424WR Rev I router reset by Vz

I changed the password on my MI424WR Rev I router and later could not log in. After a number of failed attempts, the router would not accept new attempts until after waiting a period of time.

Called tech support and they said that they could not help and the only thing to do was a factory reset. Call in a couple of times and all techs said to do a factory reset. Since I did not need to make a change, I waited on doing the factory reset.

Today, while on a support call after the rep helped me, I asked about my lost password problem. She said that because I had a Gen 3 router she could reset the router's log in password for me and she did.

So, if you lose your MI424WR Rev I router's non-default log in password tech support CAN change if for you. This is only possible with Gen 3 not Gen 2, which requires a factory reset.

Update:
The password referred to above is the router's log in password not the wireless password. My connection to the ONT is ethernet not coax. Do not believe that ethernet/coax router connection makes any difference.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Re: Lost router password for MI424WR Rev I router

This makes me want to switch to ethernet and ditch the Actiontec even more...
JimWalker
Fairfax, VA

JimWalker

Continued: Saved the router's configuration (Advanced - Configuration - Save Configuration File) so I can reload this router's configuration after a factory reset from Advanced - Configuration File - Load Configuration File. Took screen shots of all router's web pages so I can reconfigure new router if old one is replaced. Can't use saved config with different router.
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran
said by sivran:

This makes me want to switch to ethernet and ditch the Actiontec even more...

Why? Most routers I know require the same "factory reset" if you forget your password. This is intentional.

Apparently at least if you have a Gen 3 VZ-provided actiontec they can reset it. The very next step should be for the home user to then change the password to something else.

If the concern is that VZ has this access to your router (which has been discussed many times in these forums) then yes the only option is to use one of the configurations in the FAQ and make your own router the primary.

Note that just because VZ can change the password does not mean they know the existing password.
JimWalker
Fairfax, VA

JimWalker

"Note that just because VZ can change the password does not mean they know the existing password."

You are correct on both points. She said that she could only set a new password and she told me to change it as soon as I logged in.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Shady Bimmer

Premium Member

to Shady Bimmer
If they can remotely reset it to a known value, that's the same as knowing it.

And unfortunately I'm stuck with the Actiontec as it looks pretty difficult to run ethernet to where it needs to go through the attic...

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

So Vz has the ability to log into the router and reset the PW . Or reboot it. So what?