sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Thinking of upgrading...

So I got the 50/25 plan, and unfortunately I didn't really push for an ethernet install. So I got stuck with MOCA. I don't really want to run my own ethernet... if I upgraded, would they come out and run an ethernet line for me? Anything over 50 requires ethernet, right? So all I'd have to do is bump up one tier... next one up is 75.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

75/35 will work with Coax and moca you need an ethernet run for the 100 plans and up

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Well so much for that idea then.

Maybe I'll look into a moca WAN adapter...
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer

Premium Member

The FAQ includes an option to use the Actiontec as a WAN MoCA/ethernet bridge too, which would allow you to make your own router the primary.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Yup, found an ECB2500 on Amazon. Think I might just buy it and be free of this Actiontec nonsense.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

ECB2500 will NOT work as a MOCA WAN adapter.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What is a MOCA Bridge?

Only the D-Link and the Netgear support MOCA WAN and I'd recommend staying away from the Netgear.

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran
Off topic but related, is there any good beginner's explanation of the difference between MOCA and Ethernet as described in the OP's post? I think I have a MOCA installation (just standard FIOS install), but use Ethernet for all my PC connectivity both internet and network between PCs (and COAX for the set-top boxes, right?). Am I mixing them up?

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5

Premium Member

Simply put, if your actiontec is connected to the eternet port of the ONT, you are on Ethernet. If you only have a COAX connector on the ONT you are on MOCA.

altermatt
Premium Member
White Plains, NY

altermatt

Premium Member

Thanks, Pathfinder, so even though you use Ethernet to connect the PCs, printers, etc. to the router, it's the connection between the ONT and the router that counts? And that's COAX. So what in the world would be the advantage of having Ethernet there instead of COAX? That you could then connect your own router? Sorry for the basic questions, but this is new to me.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

There are up two MoCA networks. The MoCA WAN that comes out of your ONT(if you have one) and the MoCA LAN which communicates w/ your STB/DVR, etc. If you have ethernet out of your ONT, you still get an AT because you will need the MoCA LAN to have the STB/DVR communicate. If you have coax from your ONT, you also have MoCA WAN. @More Fiber is an expert on the configs.

You can remove the AT if you have ethernet from the ONT, but it is not trivial (I have done this because I have no STB) and use my own router and you still need MoCA connections for STB/DVR.

It won't really impact you if you have MoCA WAN unless you go over 75/35, so I wouldn't worry about it. There is maybe an additional latency of 1-2ms but nothing you as a user would notice. The reason is above 75/35 ethernet is needed is the higher tiers outstrip what the MoCA chipset in a lot of the ONT can provide over varying conditions. Also many people have older devices (BPON) and if I recall can't do ethernet, only MoCA WAN

If you at a later time upgrade, then they will come in and re-provision for ethernet.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

BPON ONTs support MoCA and Ethernet.

Just to break it down.. there's 3 benefits to Ethernet WAN:
1. A few ms improvement in latency (anecdotal. Some people don't see much, some people see more. Probably depends on quality of your coax)
2. Can use your own router easily (there are trade-offs with this if you have Verizon STBs).
3. Allows for faster speeds. The 150, 300, and 500Mbps tiers are only available on ethernet as MoCA 1.0/1.1 cannot support these speeds (150Mbps may be possible in some situations, but Verizon does not allow it anyway). If there's ever a 600-1000Mbps tier, ethernet will be able to handle it.
RolteC
The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

RolteC

Yes the ethernet should be able to handle the 1000Mbps but not all ONT models may be able to.

Also, Verizon can't do that, not at an inexpensive price anyway. The way GPON is, they really can't upgrade speeds much more before they start to over-subscribe. The only way to so anything more with a larger client base moving up in speeds would be to switch to XGPON. Its been discussed before on the forums.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

All GPON ONTs support gigabit ethernet. I don't know if the internals have issues with pushing that many bits though - don't think that's been documented anywhere.

GPON is technically already oversubscribed (what happens when two or three people on the same splitter want 500Mbit?). With smart split management and "limited rollouts", they could offer packages >500Mbit/sec now, assuming there's no internal limitations in the equipment. I agree they probably won't, but it's possible.

Besides, the point was with CAT5 in place, you could hit those theoretical speeds. Didn't mention anything about GPON, XGPON, etc.

altermatt
Premium Member
White Plains, NY

altermatt to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72
Thanks those who took time to explain this to me. Since it'll probably be a while before I get higher speeds, guess this is a no-issue for me (though I'd love to have that problem ).