uniqs

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

Ballpark cost to install prefab zero-clearance fireplace?

Has anyone here installed a prefab fireplace into an existing house? I am trying to get an idea of what I need to budget for this kind of project. I have a fireplace insert (pellet) that's rated to be installed in either a masonry or a zero-clearance fireplace.

I brought it with me from my old house because 6 months after having it installed, I moved due to a job promotion. I paid a ton of money for it and the people buying the old house didn't want it (unless it was free). So, I took it with me. The new house does not have a fireplace. So, I want to add one. Even though I am in Florida, this is clearly worth doing. For the second year in a row, it's been cold (20s and 30s at night, 40s-50s during the day for much of December and most of January and I have the electric bills to prove it. I am looking at putting the fireplace on an interior wall in my living room. It's a big open area - living room, dining room, front entry - measuring about 600 sqft. I can buy pellets here cheaper than I could up north, so it's a win-win all around.

I've priced the fireplace units and for what I need it'll be well under $1000, actually not much more than $500. Since all I really need is the basic firebox structure, because the doors and other miscellaneous things would be removed to install the insert - it need not be an extravagant high-end model with a bunch of bells and whistles so to speak.

I have have no idea what I'm looking at for labor, to install the fireplace, the stainless chimney, etc. Plus I'd want make it all look nice with a brick/stone veneer or something similar.

Thanks in advance!

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

There are way too many variables for anybody here to give you even a ballpark estimate. Labor costs vary significantly from place to place partly depending on how busy the contractors are and partly based on the going rate in the area. Materials also vary greatly from area to area as you found out his pellet costs. The best place to start getting an estimates would probably be at the places that sell the inserts.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to John97

Premium Member

to John97

mk1_416
@start.ca

mk1_416 to John97

Anon

to John97
First check with your insurance as to what kind of fireplace they will allow and what specifications it has, then check your local code to see if the two match up then based on that look for material / labor quote.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

Thanks for the replies. I talked to code enforcement when they were out here about this time last year inspecting my new windows. He said so many people move here from other parts of the country and are used to having fireplaces, so he's done quite a few inspections of add-on fireplaces in the last several years.

Without making a specific recommendation, he alluded to a couple companies who have been here a long, long time and said they know all the requirements and will pull permits, do the job right, etc.

I'm going to make some inquiries starting this week, was just hoping I could figure out if I need to budget $2K, $5K, or higher (doubtful).

I did ask my insurance company and their big thing was permits, as if they didn't care what I did as long as it was permitted and inspected. I doubt that's the case and I'm going to revisit that conversation before I do anything.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to John97

to John97
If I have the right thing in mind many people around here just have 2 X 4 framing covered dry wall and run the vent straight out the wall. Not a hard thing to do. That's with gas fireplaces that are enclosed in their own firebox.

BTW in most of FL. brick work is cheap, check out the price for a full on masonry fireplace.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

said by Corehhi:

If I have the right thing in mind many people around here just have 2 X 4 framing covered dry wall and run the vent straight out the wall. Not a hard thing to do. That's with gas fireplaces that are enclosed in their own firebox.

BTW in most of FL. brick work is cheap, check out the price for a full on masonry fireplace.

I am looking at putting this on an interior wall, so it'll have to go up and out through the roof.

Thanks for the tip about the masonry pricing. I will definitely look into that route.