Search similar:

uniqs
draithby
join:2014-01-26
Milton, ON

draithby

Bell Sagecom Fibe Hub / Router with Wireless Access Point

Hi

I have gone for Fibe TV and Internet and was dismayed to find that my good Linksys E4200 router would not work with Fibe TV by just connecting LAN from Bell connection hub to router and connecting router to Wireless access point.

The wireless access point is a TP LInkWA901ND

I runn a cable from the upstairs router to downstairs TV area and into a 8 port Cisco switch. Then the PVR and other stuff is connected to that including the TP Link WAP

To be clear this worked perfectly with the Linksys router.

Bell guy made us connect everything to the bell hub and removed the router

everything in house wired network worked fine.

However next day when i checked my WAP and wireless devices they don't work.

After some reading i understand need to make some chages

Here are the settings

ip 192.168.2.250
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.2.1

DHCP and Upnp off
Different SSID and channel than the bell hub
Same passwd as Bell Hub

Did all this and rebooted and it worked beautifully at first.

But 10 mins later then although was still connected i had no internet access.

It also popped authentication errors and would not connect back.

To be clear these are 4 android tablets and phones that area connecting.

Any ideas???

Very frustrated here, should be simple!

Thanks

Daniel
draithby

1 edit

draithby

Re: Bell Sagecom Fibe Connection Hub / Router with Wireless Access Point

I have researched more and understand a little more here

First i understand now that my Linksys E4200 won't work with the connection hub modem and Fibe TV because it DOES NOT support VLAN needed for the Fibe TV.

To add some more history to this

I have got the thing sort of working with the TPLink wireless access point WAP

First i had the wireless devices connecting to it via dynamic ip's

This worked but couple times a day would be connected but stop having internet access. When this occurred for unconnected devices you could not get them to connect to the WAP. After maybe 10 mins it would come back working. Not the end of the world but annoying and unnecessary.

The after hours more reading on forums, i decided to set all of the wireless devices to use static IP's. This worked as well and greatly sped up the time taken to connect. However, the same intermittent dropped connection returned several times a day.

At this point i could not find anyone on the net with these same problems and some people were saying they could get WAP's to work with Bell connection hub.

My last option appeared to be that maybe TPLink WAP not playing nice with connection hub so i could buy a new WAP different brand and try.

Instead i found on small builder a guide to converting a router into a WAP. Thus i followed the instructions carefully and switch my Linksys E4200 to a WAP. It worked for approx 3 hours and then when i came back found it did not have internet connectivity for the connected devices and i could not connect anything else to it.

Repeated power resets on it did not cure this.

I am going back to my TPLink as at least it sort of worked.

Man i am so frustrated with this ....

Is it really too much to ask for a simple WAP to work with the Bell Connection Hub??? Especially one that worked flawlessly for 2 years with a standard DSL router like the Linksys E4200.

Can anybody please help me ...

I really need to understand if there is anything i have done wrong or could change to improve the uptime and reliability of the WAP?
Or even if someone can confirm that that is DEFINITELY a limitation of the Bell Connection Hub Sagecom 2864
At least this would put my mind at ease knowing there is nothing to be done untill Bell fixes this is a firmware update or gets a new type of modem / router for Fibe without these issues.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

Now please forgive me if im wrong on all this, im a bell tech and not much of a techy guy believe it or not so I don't use a router myself just the built in one for the 2 wire modem I have BUT from doing this for other customers, it shouldn't be that complicated, the tv devices need to connect to the sagemcom directly and not through your own equipment, so bypass the cisco switch and plug the pvr into the sagemcom (ethernet or coax) and im assuming your other receivers are wireless receivers, they need to connect directly to the VAP which should be again plugged directly into the modem. Then keep the existing ethernet to your switch and plug your router into the switch. Should be simple as that, all internet devices should have a dynamic ip and fibe tv equipment should have a static ip I believe.

Someone else pipe in if im wrong here but I think its simply having the tv equipment plugged into your switch is what is screwing this up here...
draithby
join:2014-01-26
Milton, ON

draithby

No need to ask for forgiveness, as i appreciate anyone replying.

Its possible what you say is true although seems a bit of a stretch.

Basically sagecom upstairs and local computers connected up there directly to it. One cat6 cable to downstairs connected to a dlink new 16 port switch. Then all devices downstairs including the Bell PVR and secondary receiver for basement tv and the wireless access point plugged into switch

don't think this would cause an intermittent dropout of the WAP.

In order to go nuclear to fix this i could move the sagecom to main floor and use the wire from upstairs in reverse to send connection from sagecom back to upstairs computer.

then the wireless would be on main floor and prob strong enuf to not need the wap, although then i might need it upstairs.

Also i could directly connect both tv receivers to the sagecom.

however, i would like to know conclusively why the sagecom is having challenges remaining reliably connected to the TPLink WAP.

Im not convinced that having the tv receivers connected to the switch instead of the sagecom is causing this.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

Well without having to go "nuclear" on the set up, if you can do without the tv for a few hours, it seems you're losing connection every 2-3 hours so why not unplug the pvr from the switch for a bit, and the secondary receiver is wireless so keep the VAP plugged into the sagemcom. The wireless receiver will work without the pvr you just wont be able to record while it is disconnected. So run it that way and if you dont lose connectivity in a few hours then I think the trouble shooting would lead us to believe it is the tv equipment. Internet and tv traffic are separated by separate vlan tags and thats why it leads me to believe this is the cause.
dimsum3
join:2008-02-07
L1C0N5

dimsum3 to draithby

to draithby

Re: Bell Sagecom Fibe Hub / Router with Wireless Access Point

Your pvr HAS to plug into the connection hub, as well as your vap. Enable dhcp in your router and it should work.