Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

djbrettb0

join:2008-07-09
West Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

[IA] Standalone Internet? (50mbps or 105mbps)

I'm interested in cord-cutting (absolutely no interest in cable television anymore... all of the shows I watch, aside from ESPN, are available free OTA). What would my monthly bill be, IN TOTAL, for the 50 and 105 services? Please include ALL hidden fees (Mediacom loves hidden fees) and taxes.

Thanks!

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
The standard rates are probably this:
Ultra Internet: 50 Mbps download/5 Mbps upload/999 GB cap - $79.95
Ultra Plus Internet: 105 Mbps download/10 Mbps upload/999 GB cap - $99.95

A Des Moines market customer posted the rate sheet from Mediacom.
»Mediacom Pricing - Des Moines and surrounding areas

In my market I have no added fees or taxes for internet.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
1-800-F1UCK-YO
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

djbrettb0

join:2008-07-09
West Des Moines, IA
Awesome... thank you for the info! Will be considering this.

Radio_Guy
Field Engineer
Premium
join:2010-01-20
Clive, IA
reply to drslash
Don't forget this little monthly fee:

Internet Surcharge (applies to customers subscribing only to Mediacom Always Faster Internet) - $15.00

Also, if you currently have television service and are having it removed, you need to keep in mind any contracts that may be in place and the fees associated with them for early termination.

either way, a one-time change of service fee of $5.00 would likely apply to you.

There will be franchise fees (and taxes on the fees as well), so the only one that can tell you exactly what your total bill will be is Mediacom.

Also, the rates I posted are about 8 months old. A lot has changed with Mediacom High-speed pricing and caps since then.

For the real answer, chat with MediacomChad. He may be able to PM you with specific prices.
--
The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer than the sweetness of low cost. (usually)

TJFriday

join:2009-06-29
Des Moines, IA
said by Radio_Guy:

Internet Surcharge (applies to customers subscribing only to Mediacom Always Faster Internet) - $15.00

I am in the Des Moines market and do not have this surcharge on my "Ultra Plus Internet: 105 Mbps download/10 Mbps upload/999 GB cap - $99.95" internet service. The monthly bill is $99.95.

Radio_Guy
Field Engineer
Premium
Clive, IA
Like I said, a lot has changed

Here is a quote from MediacomDrew on the Mediacom forums about this surcharge:

"This is generally assess to all internet only accounts as a line and access charge that is usually already associated with cable services. The downgrade order is still pending, but this surcharge is often included in new internet-only service packages..."

Source: »mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor ··· =17610.0
--
The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer than the sweetness of low cost. (usually)

Buxley

join:2011-02-01
Mahomet, IL
OK, now I'm confused. Does this mean that if we're a long time subscriber and have Internet and TV (but don't use the TV) and only do this because it's cheaper by about $5, we can drop the whole TV thing now and lower our bills?

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by Buxley:

OK, now I'm confused.

I am also confused. Really confused. My Internet only contract runs out next month. I am not presently being charged the BS $15 fee for not having TV Service. Am I going to be charged the $15 or NOT? Also am I eligible for a new faster speed Internet promo?

Since I am unable to find ANY Mediacom prices online, how much is 50mbps service and is it available in 62920?

Radio_Guy
Field Engineer
Premium
Clive, IA
I sent MediacomChad a message to look into this thread, but it doesn't look like he had time. I will try my best to explain.

When you take all of your cable TV equipment back to the local office and tell them you want internet only, they will:

Charge you a fee for changing your service (somewhere around $15 - $30).
Charge you $15 a month for not being in a bundle of some kind.
--

Buxley

Mahomet, IL
reply to djbrettb0
I can confirm the $15 "internet only" fee as well.

TJFriday

Des Moines, IA
For those of you seeing the "internet only" surcharge, what level of internet subscription do you have? In the Des Moines area, I have seen that it is typically waived for the 50 and 105 levels of service.

Reach out to MediacomChad via PM if you have specific questions about your own accounts.

Buxley

Mahomet, IL
I talked to MediacomChad via PM before calling. I think your suggestion that the 50 or 105 level service must be it.

I forget what my current package level is, but I do know I have a 250gig cap per month.

TJFriday

Des Moines, IA

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Buxley:

I have a 250gig cap per month.

Sounds likely that you have the "Prime Internet: 15 Mbps download/1 Mbps upload/250 GB cap" tier. If you're internet-only and begin factoring in the $15/mo "Internet Surcharge" for internet-only subscribers, it becomes tough to justify staying at one of the lower tiers.

Using the aforementioned (linked) Des Moines area pricing as an example and assuming that the $15/mo "Internet Surcharge" for internet-only subscribers doesn't apply to the 50 & 105 tiers:

$44.95 - 3/.5, 150 GB (assumes +$15 internet-only)
$64.95 - 15/1, 250 GB (assumes +$15 internet-only)
$74.95 - 20-30/2, 350 GB (assumes +$15 internet-only)
$79.95 - 50/5, 999 GB (Pricing "sweet spot" is here)
$99.95 - 105/10, 999 GB (Double previous package for only +$20)

It's like the pricing of popcorn at movie theaters.

Buxley

Mahomet, IL
Thanks, TJFriday!

I think the issue where I live is that 50/105 is not offered. I'll have to check.

jojomexi

@wellsfargo.com
I have 105/10 and we do not have the $15 surcharge.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
reply to Buxley
said by Buxley:

Thanks, TJFriday!

I think the issue where I live is that 50/105 is not offered. I'll have to check.

If I can get 105/10 in Fisher you should beable to get it in Mahomet

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:121
I am currently showing that 105 is available in Mahomet. Feel free to send me an IM with a good contact number and I will be happy to have someone reach out to you to upgrade.

JMK

join:2014-01-30
Waterloo, IA
reply to TJFriday
said by TJFriday:

assuming that the $15/mo "Internet Surcharge" for internet-only subscribers doesn't apply to the 50 & 105 tiers:

I am new to the Mediacom world. Can anyone confirm the "Internet Surcharge" does not apply to the 50/5 tier? I am planning on purchasing only internet service.

I called Mediacom in Waterloo today and was told there were no fees for the 30/2 or 50/5. (Based on what I have read on here I'm not convinced that the 30/2 internet only plan will come without the charge.)

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
The fee can vary based on the plan you sign up for. There are some promotional rates that include the surcharge. I can have a representative reach out to you to go over pricing if you would like. Please send me an IM with your account or phone number.

Lar

join:2002-06-17
Iowa
reply to drslash
Hey Drslash!!! I see your still here on the forums!

Tell me why you have no taxes or added fees?
Do I need to move to Marion?
--
www.r-force.org

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
I don't think there are taxes and fees on the internet service. The Mediacom accounts for our household are probably not the norm. The TV service is in my wife's name and the internet service is in my name. Years ago Mediacom wanted to combine these. I insisted that they remain on separate accounts and Medicom agreed. The bill I get for internet service has only the price for Ultra 105 on it, nothing else. The TV bill has the taxes and fees on it and I assume those taxes and fees apply only to the TV service.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
1-800-F1UCK-YO
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

macdude22

join:2005-09-08
Grinnell, IA
reply to djbrettb0
I have standalone 50/5. I have one line item on my bill.

02/14 - 03/13 Ultra HSI

I have no additional taxes or fees added into this.

Lar

join:2002-06-17
Iowa
reply to drslash
Ahh I see. Great to see you here from long ago. And thank you DSL Reports and Mediacom for having a presence still. Good to see Bainch and Chad here.
--
www.r-force.org

iowaboy
Premium
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
reply to MediacomChad
When I signed up for the 30 Mbps/2Mbps plan last month I also paid for a year at the time but I was not charged for the extra fee. Now I am at the 50/5 with the upgrade.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Certain promotional rates include the fee. Once the promotional period expires and all of your services revert to the non-discounted rate, so does the fee in which you are inquiring about.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to djbrettb0
i got a promo deal for new customers at iirc 40~50 bucks for 50Mbps soon to be 100Mbps
net only