All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DC5R
join:2008-10-16

DC5R

Updating FW on Speedstream 4200

This is a bit of a blast from the past, but I recently picked up an old Bell Speedstream 4200 modem in perfect condition. I want to check what FW version is on the 4200 to determine if it will be ADSL 2+ compatible but the main page requires a user ID and password. I've tried admin/admin but it doesn't work - it says I need a b1xxxx## login ID and password. As I have no clue what this was, is there another way to get into the main page of the modem?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

If all you need it for is bridge mode, then it'll work in its current state.

The b1 login/pass is what Bell gives you as your login/password. if you want to test it on another ISP, just enter that ISP's login/password (disregard the b1 stuff).

You can also use it in bridge mode just hook up to your routers WAN port and configure it for PPPoE and enter your ISP login credentials there.

Bell's firmware has no configurable options.
DC5R

DC5R

Thanks for the reply HiVolt! The modem does work as a bridge without any configurations necessary but I cannot get into the main modem menu with my current ISP's user ID and password (i purchased this modem from Kijiji).

What I'm looking to do is update the firmware on the modem to be ADSL 2+ compliant. Based on my internet search it appears the modems download speed is firmware and not hardware limited. I've already downloaded the newer firmware to update the modem to ADSL 2+, but I cannot get into the main menu to perform the update.

Would factory resetting the modem reset the passwords and ID? I'm just concerned the reset will not revert the password and ID to admin/admin and, in the process, I will lose the bridge function thus turning this modem into a paperweight.

Thanks for all the help!

hmm
@videotron.ca

hmm

Anon

Did you try searching this forum for Speedstream 4200 line stats and firmware update?

Seems to me there was a method, but this is going back a few years and I no longer recall it. Pretty sure if you search for either "line stats and/or firmware update" you may find something.

Wasn't this done by telneting in on this modem? I can't recall.
hmm

hmm to DC5R

Anon

to DC5R
Another search term to use within this forum would be "unlocking the 4200".

If memory serves, I believe it had to be "unlocked" to get the stats and to flash it. This is going back too many years....
hmm

hmm to DC5R

Anon

to DC5R
One more bit of information, and again I don't fully recall it all because it's been so long...

But like the 5200, I believe there was more than one model of the 4200. I'm not sure if certain models didn't like certain firmware I really can't recall.

One of them had 3 models the other had two. I can't recall if the 5200 or the 4200 had three different models.

All the info is in this forum if you use the search function.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to DC5R

Premium Member

to DC5R
Hmm has the right idea, Bell screwed around with the firmware at some point and blocked out the method of unlocking the modem. As I recall, and its been awhile you need to unlock it to be able to change the firmware.

Anyways see if you can establish an FTP connection to the modem, if you can you should be able to remove and load new firmware. If you can't establish the FTP connection you need to unlock the modem first (if you can unlock it). The 4200 is nearly identical to the 5200 so the instructions for the 5200 unlocking procedure can be used on the 4200. If you can't unlock it you will have to just use it as it is.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to DC5R

Premium Member

to DC5R
PM me your email, i will send you an unlocked firmware...

BTW, from what I recall the updater does not work on Vista/Win7/8, and you have to disable all firewalls. It does work under Windows XP.
HiVolt

HiVolt

Premium Member

Hmm,I cant seem to find it... i know I had it somewhere... I can only find the reference to the filename you need, it's

Update_D240_A8M_106-65_1210_v1r.exe

I've googled around, but all i seem to get is these shady downloader sites, which i dont want to touch. try them at your own risk.

I'll search my computer once I get home, i just tried searching my server remotely from work.
DC5R

DC5R

@Hmm - I found the instructions for the 5200 and was able to see both the admin and mfadmin pages on the modem. I believe this unlock is to open all the hidden features of the modem rather than to remove the password/ID required to enter into the setup screen - unless I need to blank out the ID and password on the admin and mfadmin screens. My apologies as I'm a total noob.

@HiVolt - PM sent. Thanks!

I guess my real question is, is firmware 004-D240-A35 ADSL2+ compliant? If so, I don't need all the features of the modem to be unlocked nor do I need to update the firmware.

Thanks!
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k to DC5R

to DC5R
said by DC5R:

This is a bit of a blast from the past, but I recently picked up an old Bell Speedstream 4200 modem in perfect condition. I want to check what FW version is on the 4200 to determine if it will be ADSL 2+ compatible but the main page requires a user ID and password. I've tried admin/admin but it doesn't work - it says I need a b1xxxx## login ID and password. As I have no clue what this was, is there another way to get into the main page of the modem?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

For what it's worth, that page your seeing is not the LOGIN prompt for the modems administration. If your seeing that page, your already in.

The B1xxxx## is the pppoe user id and password for establishing your internet session with Bell.

I just wanted to throw that in there because nobody had specifically mentioned it.

Also, FWIW, as a tech for Bell I've yet to come across a 4200 that didn't do adsl2+. My understanding is that they do exist, but I've never seen with my own eyes.
urbang33k

urbang33k

said by urbang33k:

For what it's worth, that page your seeing is not the LOGIN prompt for the modems administration. If your seeing that page, your already in.

The B1xxxx## is the pppoe user id and password for establishing your internet session with Bell.

I just wanted to throw that in there because nobody had specifically mentioned it.

Sorry Hivolt, I was skimming and didn't notice you mentioned that right in your first reply. Though judging by the OPs response I'm not entirely sure it sunk in.

hmm
@videotron.ca

hmm to urbang33k

Anon

to urbang33k
said by urbang33k:

Also, FWIW, as a tech for Bell I've yet to come across a 4200 that didn't do adsl2+. My understanding is that they do exist, but I've never seen with my own eyes.

From what I recall it will handle speeds up to 10-meg, but I think i recall it wasn't the best at handling those speeds. I seem to remember a few people in this forum posting their 10 meg speeds with that modem. I recall uploading the spec's or the PDF a few years back showing it could do adsl2.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

the 4200 can handle sync speeds up to 19meg, provided you're close enough.

The hardware can do ADSL2+. i had one running in the office for several years at 16meg sync speeds without a problem.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to DC5R

Premium Member

to DC5R
I think that firmware was authored (or rather mangled) Bell, PM me if you need a copy of the file HiVolt mentioned.