spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

IHaveAQ

@70.48.89.x

Notice of Copyright infringement

I received this message in my mailbox this evening. It has the infringement attached. Should I be worried or should I ignore it and move on?

Rogers Cable (Rogers) has received a notice stating that activities associated with your IP address are infringing copyright in material(s) owned or exclusively licensed by others.

The full notice is appended to this e-mail below.

Under section 4(d) of the Rogers Yahoo! Hi-Speed Internet End User Agreement (EUA) and Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), you are prohibited from using the Rogers Yahoo! Hi-Speed Internet service to engage in illegal activities, including activities that infringe copyright.  Copies of our EUA and AUP are available at:

»na.edit.client.yahoo.com/rogers/···.intl=ca

Where there has been a violation of our EUA and/or AUP, including the unauthorized distribution of copyright-protected material, Rogers has the right to take appropriate action against you.

If you have any questions about the attached copyright notice, please contact the sender of the notice using the contact information provided in the notice.  Please do not reply to this e-mail.

We trust you will comply with our policies and all applicable laws in using the Rogers Yahoo! Hi-Speed Internet service.

Rogers EUA Management Team
Rogers Communications

Please do not reply to this email, as this email inbox is not monitored.

^Trademarks of Rogers Communications, One Mount Pleasant Road - 10P, Toronto, ON M4Y 2Y5
© 2013

Nitra

join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Stop torrenting at home. Get a seedbox in Europe.

SimplePanda

join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Nitra:

People still use BitTorrent? Crazy.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
reply to IHaveAQ

i was on rogers for years and was torrenting, never got a notice, contact rogers and ask what specifically was i in copyright infringement and provide proof that it was me and not just by my ip address

Nitra

join:2011-09-15
Montreal
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to SimplePanda

said by SimplePanda:

People still use BitTorrent? Crazy.

Seems so, but there's safer ways to use it rather than downloading from your real IP.

iamkyle

join:2011-03-22
Newmarket, ON
reply to Nitra

said by Nitra:

Or stop using a public tracker like TPB.

rick james1

@206.47.249.x

they havent called it rogers yahoo hi speed in ages... are you sure its genuwine? or did someone just print some copy and stuff it in your mail box as a joke or for fun?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:12
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

It's a canned letter that they haven't updated in ages.

It's called Notice and Notice.

The second part of the notice is the information from the copyright holder who believes someone on your IP at the time of the detection was downloading copyright material. They asked Rogers to deal with you per their terms of service.

The first part of the notice is Rogers warning you that they've received the complaint. Generally Rogers does the notice and notice thing to placate the copyright holder but doesn't actually enforce it. You can treat it as a warning. Do NOT respond to Rogers and definitely do not respond to the originator of the notice.

At the same time, do take more care about downloading copyright material. The copyright holders have set up way too many honeypots in the hope of catching people for torrents to be safe with copyright material unless you use private trackers, or other means to hide your identity.

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

said by sbrook:

The second part of the notice is the information from the copyright holder who believes someone on your IP at the time of the detection was downloading copyright material. They asked Rogers to deal with you per their terms of service.

Not sure where my last reply went, so hopefully this isn't a dupe...

Anyway, someone posted their letter in the past, and IIRC it actually made a big deal about the fact that they were distributing, not downloading, so based on that one letter it made it seem like they don't care if you're downloading, they just don't want you sharing.

OP, how is yours worded? Do they mention distributing/uploading, or do they mention downloading, or both, or ?

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to IHaveAQ

you can ignore it. In the future if your worried torrenting use a VPN or something. I'm use IBvpn for when I torrent files that copyright holders may care about. They got %50 off sale for today.

cepnot4me

join:2013-10-29
Severn Bridge, ON
reply to IHaveAQ

It's legit, it is a computer generated email. Basically someone supplied your IP address to Rogers claiming copyright infringement. It's not a big deal.. I have had 10 or 20 of these before.

dirt mc gurt

@206.47.249.x

whats to stop someone like me from xeroxing a few dozzen of these letters and going around the neighbourhood and sticking them in peoples mailboxes at random? no one will truely confirm if it came from me or if it came from rogers, theyre not addressed to any individual, for all we know someone could be effing with you.

Ree

h0h0h0

said by dirt mc gurt :

whats to stop someone like me from xeroxing a few dozzen of these letters and going around the neighbourhood and sticking them in peoples mailboxes at random? no one will truely confirm if it came from me or if it came from rogers, theyre not addressed to any individual, for all we know someone could be effing with you.

It's an email, not a letter.

And it mentions what and when you were caught distributing the copyrighted material. So if someone was effing with you, it'd be pretty coincidental if you happened to be downloading what they mention at the time they mention.

dirt mc gurt

@206.47.249.x

he said MAILBOX not email. check again

oceros

join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

said by dirt mc gurt :

Because an email inbox never gets referred to as a mailbox.

The E-MAIL also includes the line: Please do not reply to this email, as this email inbox is not monitored.

Ree

h0h0h0
reply to dirt mc gurt

said by dirt mc gurt :

It doesn't matter how it was delivered (it was an email though, which you'd see if you check again), the fact still remains that it's going to be highly unlikely that someone sends you a fake notice with a name and date that matches up to your real activity.

StopThisNow

@rogers.com
reply to IHaveAQ

I suggest you take ownership and call your service provider. I received this email and called Rogers right away and demanded to know what this notice was all about. My call lasted less than 10 minutes, the nature of this notice was explained and resolved and I was sent on my way. Also, and the most important, stop pirating movies!

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:12
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

All the legal advice I've seen says "do not respond" to Notice and Notice. Just like the US 5th Amendment "I will not respond on the grounds that I might incriminate my own person". To put it another way, "Loose Lips Sink Ships". You may inadvertantly say something in the course of a conversation that could cause you trouble down the road.

simon726

join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON
reply to IHaveAQ

Is there a way that "private trackers" could be "intercepted" by the copyright holders? I have caught with a copyright notice last year when I downloaded using a public tracker.

Since then, I have to curtail my torrent use by refraining from seeding from public trackers.

iFly55

join:2010-01-19
canada

said by simon726:

Is there a way that "private trackers" could be "intercepted" by the copyright holders? I have caught with a copyright notice last year when I downloaded using a public tracker.

Since then, I have to curtail my torrent use by refraining from seeding from public trackers.

If you found your way onto the private tracker, so can copyright trolls.

There are a lot of deterrents, for example: most private trackers are country based ie. swedish, french, chinese, russian). So the member base usually consists largely from those countries.

A Canadian Copyright Troll won't waste their time at a Chinese site where 99% of the peers are connected behind the Great Firewall of China.

Most of the userbases are very small and lucrative sites require a lot of participation and activity to keep the accounts alive.

If I personally received a copyright notice, I would look into getting a VPN or usenet.

It's always good practice to avoid public trackers at all costs, unless it's some super obscure textbook or video.
--
All hail Conservative Overlords!

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:2
reply to TOPDAWG

said by TOPDAWG:

I'm use IBvpn for when I torrent files that copyright holders may care about.

They could also try »buyvm.net/

They have plans as low as $15 for the year, and are friendly to using as a VPN (or Seedbox). Also has the added benefit of Spotify, Hulu, Pandora, US Netflix, etc. if you get a US IP or tunnel through their US VPN.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON
reply to Nitra

Expand your moderator at work

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to Ian

Re: Notice of Copyright infringement

I wouldn't go near a VPS or VPN service based out of the US, you might has well not even bother and use your own PC exposing your IP.
--
Every government has its Secret Service branch: America, CIA; France, Deuxieme Bureau; England, MI5. NATO also has its own.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON

said by elwoodblues:

I wouldn't go near a VPS or VPN service based out of the US, you might has well not even bother and use your own PC exposing your IP.

Meh. I am not hyper concerned. I use private trackers for torrents. I mainly use my VPS as a VPN so as to be able to use things like Spotify and Pandora. Routing traffic through a VPN outside of North America would add a lot of lag.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong