Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 edit

3 recommendations

The Walking Dead Returns Feb 9, 2014

»m.youtube.com/watch?v=eo7lIrHgaV ··· lIrHgaV8

Like the title say,...

Make a mental note or set those series recording so you don't miss it.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
thx for the heads up. I was wondering the other day when it was coming back.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
reply to Octavean
Subbed. Super excited for this, Vikings, and GoT.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA

1 recommendation

reply to Octavean
BUMP

Just in case y'all forgot with the Olympics going on and all.
--

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

Zombie Winter Olympics would be fun. Strap a walker to a luge, put one on a pair of skis at the top of the downhill course, etc.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to Octavean
Relevant.

»www.youtube.com/watch?=rNxvo8Acp ··· vo8AcpQQ

So, prediction at the end... what say you all? Not sure I'd call it awesome. Definitely better though.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Octavean
Tonight the night,......

The Walking Dead returns,...

Don't forget to follow up with Talking Dead right after,......

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to Octavean
Good episode, but not great. I liked Michone's flashback.
--
Add a signature here

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:19
I liked the flashback too. Gave us some insight into her and her past.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
reply to Octavean
You know I would have guessed that they would have had a planned meeting point just in case they ever had to leave the prison. Guess not.
--

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to Octavean
Awesome episode from the cold open to the end.. felt like I was watching the comics come to life.

If any watched talking dead after, that animatronic was pretty amazing.

Grimm

reply to Octavean
Decent episode. It was good to see Michonne's storyline and get a little insight into her original two "walker guards".

While done in a not-so-stellar performance at times, I enjoy how Carl has changed from the beginning of the series; growing up in a world of walkers. More so I enjoy the father/son moments with him and Rick.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Octavean
I liked this episode but I am a bit conflicted.

Personally I really liked the scenes with Michonne picking up the pieces and surviving immediately after the attack. Putting the remnants of Hershel down, making a new set of pets for her protection, crossing paths and ignoring the possibilities then continuing on to eventually walking with a herd. Almost mindlessly becoming a walker herself until a walker resembling her forced a reality check. Michonne knows how to survive in the zombie apocalypse,….clearly. Better then most. So much so that its almost second nature.

However, she has lived that way before. Finding Andrea / the group was her way out of just surviving and into living again as a person. She could have easily slipped back into that life but decided to fight to live as the person she wants be. It was really powerful stuff IMO.

I didn’t much care for the dream / flashback scene though. I don’t remember clearly how it was done in the books but I believe we were made aware of her relationship to her pets and her past occupation. If they were going to tackle this I would have preferred that they showed the circumstances with which they died and how she made them her pets (how she knew how to make them docile). I did like the visual clues that it was a dream though like the kitchen knife katana.

The Rick and Carl scenes were interesting and entertaining but they didn’t fully agree with me either. I liked the overall theme there though with Carl thinking himself more capable then perhaps he really was and him seeing that his father is far from infallible. I liked the scene where Carl sees the video game system and lights-up like a kid in a candy store only to be snapped back to reality and rip out a cable to secure the door. I also liked the pudding scene all clues that despite himself, his capabilities and the circumstances he is still something of a kid.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Octavean
I thought it was a pretty good episode except for anytime a human gets surprised by a walker. I mean it's a freaking zombie apocalypse people, look around once in a while!

I do like the new neighborhood though, plenty of food and very few walkers.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

SixOfNine
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Octavean
Finally got to watch it tonight. Carl's two best moments in the series have now closed the circle. First, he was a sullen teen at the prison, angry at his mother, until she was about to die, when he became her boy again for a brief intense moment of final farewell.

Now the same exact thing happened with his father. Resentful that Rick was still telling him what to do, eager to prove his self-sufficiency, but when he thought that Rick had turned, he became his young son again. And then Rick closed that chapter completely by telling Carl that he's now a man. Good stuff.

It looks like we'll have several episodes in which each one focuses on the scattered remnants of the clan. It would be nice if that works up to a reunion.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
Good stuff indeed,...

I agree with a lot of what you have said.

Now I have to wonder if the writers were attempting to show us Carl putting away childish things (like when he illuminated when seeing the video game system) rather then longing for a lost youth. However, what then were the writers trying to address when Rick and Carl had a disagreement about how to secure the front door (AV cable ripped from the entertainment / gaming system or couch)?

Becoming an adult is all good and well but more is necessary for survival.

A recurring theme in the series and books is the necessity of community and or the reliance upon others that can be trusted. No man is an island and the group needs each other to survive.

Recall Hershel’s farm when Sophia finally came out of the barn. It seemed as if no one was capable of putting her down until Rick stepped up to do it. If it had been Carl walking out of that barn then perhaps Rick wouldn’t have been able to do it but someone else there hopefully would have. Carl failed to do this when he thought Rick became a walker, which, is understandable to a point but its a failure that would have ended him.

Thats part of Carl’s problem, in an attempt to show how capable he is he often fails to rely on others even when he has the opportunity,…..

SixOfNine
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Ooh, I forgot about Carl's discovery of the video game system. That was an excellent scene, too, as the boy in him popped out for about seven seconds. That and his discovery of the chocolate pudding.

I think the argument between Rick and Carl was just part and parcel of Carl's "I can take of myself; I don't need to take orders from you" attitude toward his father.
--

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Octavean
There were two things in the episode that bugged me. One, when Rick was in his 'coma' and Carl couldn't wake him, I was surprised he didn't check for a pulse. maybe from his point of view he could still see breathing but I couldn't. Second, also while Rick was in the 'coma' and one might question whether or not he would survive, I am surprised that Carl didn't tie him up somehow in case Rick died/turned. Just as a precaution.
--

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Octavean
Last week's episode was a snoozer. Carl is such a bland character, I was surprised they dedicated almost an entire episode to him.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Octavean
One thing that bugs me is the lack of organization. Its the Zombiepocylpse. Bad things happen all the time. I would have had at least three rendezvous points that can be semi-secured, with food, weapons and perhaps an extra vehicle (they seemed to have plenty at the prison). Everyone has a group, every group knows where to go first, second and last.
--
Add a signature here

SixOfNine
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Octavean
I finally got around to watching the episode from Feb. 16th, the one that switched among Daryl and Beth, Glenn (and Tara), Tyreese and the girls, and Maggie.

They all still seem to be pretty close to each other, and some even crossed paths (e.g., Daryl and Beth finding the spot where Tyreese and the girls were eating grapes until the younger one got freaked by the birds suddenly flying out of the bushes).

Given her reaction to seeing a rabbit, I guess it was Lizzie (the older girl) who was killing the rats at the prison. And when she put her hand over Judith's mouth to muffle her crying - *shudder*.

The reunion of Tyreese and Carol was, er, interesting, as Carol realizes that Tyreese doesn't know about the circumstances surrounding her departure from the prison.
--

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Octavean
This show is quickly becoming an "I'll watch it later" type of show for me. Almost every episode has long stretches of uninteresting dialogue followed by someone getting surprised by a zombie (how does that still happen?!?) followed by more dialogue. Yawn.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

SixOfNine
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

I loved Rick's under-the-bed dilemma. I'm kind of liking the diaspora story line, how some of them are just missing each other, crossing paths, perhaps all headed to that Sanctuary place (I haven't read the comic books).
--

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to Rook008
said by Rook008:

This show is quickly becoming an "I'll watch it later" type of show for me. Almost every episode has long stretches of uninteresting dialogue followed by someone getting surprised by a zombie (how does that still happen?!?) followed by more dialogue. Yawn.

Yup, just like tonights bore of an episode.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Tonight was an episode they could have just not made.
--

Grimm

1 recommendation

See I liked last night's episode. Finally getting to see a different side to Daryl and at least some sort of character development for Beth. Since the beginning of the show and more so since Meryl died, you knew it was only a matter of time before everything became too much for Daryl. It was good to see that he isn't just a hardass. Beth is meh to me, but she grounds Daryl; a good complement to his ruggedness.

That said, I hope they can get back to the group somehow soon.

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Octavean
Just saw ep12 and wow... they really like to keep the tradition alive of the second half always sucking.

What a boring snoozefest.

The dialogue is awful, and the actors aren't good enough to carry it.

BOOOOORING!

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to Octavean
Snooze fest again with some hook ups going on. They are really just filling airtime and dragging it out. I think you could tell everyones back story and journey after the prison break up in about two episodes. I'm losing interest because of it too. Not really caring as much about the finale or next season.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
We're all just killing time waiting for Game of Thrones and Orphan Black to get back on air

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Grimm
I would have liked the episode (Daryl is my favorite character) but it was a few minutes of insight stuffed inside 40 minutes of filler.
Plus, more ninja stealth zombies. ugh
--