All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
joejoejeo
join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

Re: [X1-X2] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

the new information i got is that, "Yes, the information you got is correct about the update on X2 Guide which is on or around January 29, 2014. However, the date is still to be determined as when all X1 customers will be migrated to the new guide." as for the stuff bellow is what i have right now i will update it when i get more info

They also told me:
The changes from the current guide are as follows:
1. The main navigation bar now displays at the bottom of the TV screen with video in full-screen mode for minimal interruption while watching a program
2. Details are now placed into a dedicated tray at the bottom of the screen to avoid blocking portions of the guide when viewing a program. You can Press the Guide button twice to filter by Favorites, Movies, Sports, Kids and Featured and you Press the Rewind or Fast Forward button while in the guide to view the previous or upcoming day’s listings (up to 14 days past/future)

For Saved Menu:
1. Holds DVR content as well as favorites
2. Recent tab: Displays recently recorded programs, viewed content and current On Demand rentals
3. Scheduled tab: Displays upcoming scheduled programs
4. Deleted recordings are now located at the bottom of the Recording list. Use page down to quickly navigate to them
5. Favorites tab: "Series" renamed "TV Shows"; "Personalities" renamed "People."
6. Purchases: Displays XFINITY On Demand Purchases (movies and TV shows to own)

For On Demand:
1. Movies: Larger poster art; highlight a selection for movie title, pricing information, etc
2. TV Shows: Larger poster art; highlight a selection for episode count
3. Navigation: Menu bar on left side has been removed. Simply scroll down for more folders within main menu options

For Search Menu:
1. Keyboard on screen by default, can be used to search as well as T9 functionality on remote
2. Search functionality (from remote control key press) is unchanged. More search results are returned

For adjusting the transparency of my new guide:
1. In the Settings menu, navigate to Preferences and press OK on your remote
2. Navigate to Background Darkness Level and press OK
3. Toggle the background darkness levels of the new interface to your desired setting

Remote Key Changes on the new guide:

2. In live video, the Last button displays the last nine programs viewed.
3. Anywhere in the Interactive Guides, the Last button takes the user back one step
4. Pressing the Guide button on the remote will open Full Screen Guide
5. To get to the Mini Guide, press the right arrow key on the remote
6. Pressing the Guide button twice on the remote to see options for filtering the Full Screen Guide will bring up filtering options (HD, Favorites, Premium)
7. Saved recordings can be deleted by pressing the "D" key on the remote

cheeseman
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

cheeseman

Anon

I really just wish you could shrink the font on the X2 guide. You can't see the entire name of any half hour shows.

THE SIMP
SEINFEL
ABC WOR

wolf
@comcast.net

wolf to joejoejeo

Anon

to joejoejeo
Finally got the latest X2 version & the full-day navigation in the menu is indeed back! No new audio options though (either Audio pass-through or Dolby Volume)...
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

2 edits

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

About Dolby Volume:
It is my understanding that it's licensed by the hardware manufacturer, since it requires requires the appropriate audio DSP power integrated into the device. The cable co of course has to expose the capability in their software, but it's licensed as a technology to the hardware vendor.

AFAIK, the only vendor to license Dolby Volume was Motorola, they added it to the DCX35xx series DVRs.
»www.arrisi.com/products/ ··· p?id=952

Since the current X1 hardware is all made by Pace you won't ever see Dolby Volume. Perhaps once the Motorola XG1's become more commonplace (they just started trickling out in X1 deployments) Comcast will enable the control for those boxes. That's assuming Motorola still bothered to include Dolby Volume tech in their newest boxes, which going by this description of the DCX3600 series they didn't.
»www.arrisi.com/products/ ··· ?id=1016

wolf
@comcast.net

wolf

Anon

I'd settle for an (user-selectable) Audio pass-through option then, which the older boxes also had. Feed my receiver a PCM signal for those channels that don't transmit in DD. I don't know why this didn't bother me more before with X1 & X2, but lately getting that "hollow" (no center channel) sound from non-DD stations is really bugging me. I really don't like having to reset the audio output on the box to Stereo every time, then forget to set it back to Surround for the DD channels.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to joejoejeo

MVM

to joejoejeo
said by joejoejeo:

X2 is coming this week. 2 X1 Team members told me tonight as per the documentation about X2 deployment that was sent to us that, "The X2 preview is now being stopped since the full version of the X2 is going to be released on the 29th of January." and that "The preview version of X1 has been added to your account on the 18th of December. That is together with the software version. This is the reason why your guide and software version has been rolled back. The newest version and the X2 guide is going to be added to your account again on the 29th. Just make sure to accept the prompt since it will only ask you three times. After the third prompt, your guide will stay on the X1 version and will not be able to receive the update anymore." and that, "For now, any software update to X1 boxes are being halted for the update that's going to happen on the 29th." and "The X2 is going to be rolled out to all the existing X1 subscribers on or about that date." and that, "If you don't get it that message go to settings> preferences to opt in to the X2 guide. There is an option there to permanently get the X2 guide." and that, "Existing customers who upgraded to the preview of the new guide back in December will no longer have the option to toggle back to the current guide. They will have access to the new guide only."

said by joejoejeo:

the new information i got is that, "Yes, the information you got is correct about the update on X2 Guide which is on or around January 29, 2014. However, the date is still to be determined as when all X1 customers will be migrated to the new guide." ...

OK, I just got some info from a source of mine that basically backs up what joejoejeo See Profile said.

It seems that Comcast will offer X2 as the default UI soon (on Wednesday?) to new subscribers, while giving current X1 users the option to either keep the older interface or load the new one during a transition period, before finally making the X2 UI permanent and removing the older version from the X1 platform.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to wolf

Premium Member

to wolf
said by wolf :

I'd settle for an (user-selectable) Audio pass-through option then, which the older boxes also had. Feed my receiver a PCM signal for those channels that don't transmit in DD. I don't know why this didn't bother me more before with X1 & X2, but lately getting that "hollow" (no center channel) sound from non-DD stations is really bugging me. I really don't like having to reset the audio output on the box to Stereo every time, then forget to set it back to Surround for the DD channels.

I'm with ya, there should be a straight passthrough option. After all that's what settings like Dolby ProLogic II are for. Letting you handle the soundfield, if you want a center channel mix, or a straight stereo mix, etc.
SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by joejoejeo:

X2 is coming this week. 2 X1 Team members told me tonight as per the documentation about X2 deployment that was sent to us that, "The X2 preview is now being stopped since the full version of the X2 is going to be released on the 29th of January." and that "The preview version of X1 has been added to your account on the 18th of December. That is together with the software version. This is the reason why your guide and software version has been rolled back. The newest version and the X2 guide is going to be added to your account again on the 29th. Just make sure to accept the prompt since it will only ask you three times. After the third prompt, your guide will stay on the X1 version and will not be able to receive the update anymore." and that, "For now, any software update to X1 boxes are being halted for the update that's going to happen on the 29th." and "The X2 is going to be rolled out to all the existing X1 subscribers on or about that date." and that, "If you don't get it that message go to settings> preferences to opt in to the X2 guide. There is an option there to permanently get the X2 guide." and that, "Existing customers who upgraded to the preview of the new guide back in December will no longer have the option to toggle back to the current guide. They will have access to the new guide only."

said by joejoejeo:

the new information i got is that, "Yes, the information you got is correct about the update on X2 Guide which is on or around January 29, 2014. However, the date is still to be determined as when all X1 customers will be migrated to the new guide." ...

OK, I just got some info from a source of mine that basically backs up what joejoejeo See Profile said.

It seems that Comcast will offer X2 as the default UI soon (on Wednesday?) to new subscribers, while giving current X1 users the option to either keep the older interface or load the new one during a transition period, before finally making the X2 UI permanent and removing the older version from the X1 platform.

That seems consistent with how Comcast is doing things these days. A slower roll out to existing customers, while new customers get it out of the box.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

On today’s 4Q2013 earnings call, Comcast's Neil Smit said that X2 will become available to all X1 subscribers at the month’s end, so that also appears to support the January 29th date.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

On today's 4Q2013 earnings call, Comcast's Neil Smit said that X2 will become available to all X1 subscribers by the month's end, so that also appears to support the January 29th date.

Also from an article on the Light Reading site today (»www.lightreading.com/ear ··· d/707459 ):
quote:
As part of the video turnaround strategy, Comcast is counting heavily on its next-gen IP video platform, X1. With the cloud-based programming guide and user interface now rolled out throughout its footprint, the MSO is accelerating plans to offer X1 and later versions to more than half its video customers over the next few years. Currently, X1's availability is limited to triple-play subscribers and a few double-play subscribers.

"We're very pleased with the early customer feedback" on X1, Comcast vice chairman and CFO Michael Angelakis said during the call. Citing various company metrics, he and Smit said X1 subscribers are purchasing notably more video-on-demand titles and watching more on-demand programming than other video customers. They are signing up for DVR service and triple-play bundles more frequently than other video subs, and they are cutting the video cord less often.

Comcast officials are also speeding up plans to upgrade the growing X1 customer base to the more advanced X2 guide through a software download. Smit said all X1 customers will soon receive the software upgrade to X2, which enables more personalized search and navigation capabilities.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

FYI - See my post over on this thread for the latest X2 deployment news: »Re: [X1-X2] X2 deployment news
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

But the official launch of the x2 guide is tomorrow, but it could not be deployed to every x1 sub at that time

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 edit

1 recommendation

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Have the Movie Night app on the DVR here as well - but didn't try the whole "log in" thing.

In X2 news -
I'm suing JoeJoeJoe!!! It's 1/29 and I don't have the update!

Honestly - didn't expect to wake up to anything.
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

If you don't have it it does not mean anything because it is the day when they officially release the x2 guide, not exactly the day you would get the x2 guide though.