Michael Extreme User
Premium Member
join:2003-10-05
Laval, QC

1 edit

Mikemnm

Premium Member

New Buisness High Speed 12 issues

So I am currently online wiht Videotron, i Have business internet 10, i noticed yesterday that they upgraded there speeds to 12/12 i currently am on 10/1.
So first i used to be a residential customer and ive owned my current modem since 2005. (moto sb5100)
i call to have my speeds upgraded for free of course they inform me that they cant because my modem cant handle it ... ok fine so send me a new modem... they cant because i own it ... fine its broken...sorry its not guaranteed any more ... now i need to sign a new contract to get a free rented one... ok fine il go buy a modem thats compatible... i need to pay 199 for install WTF but wait no they cant because i cant buy it so i still need to sign a new contract cause they dont sell modems anymore. I am fraked in every way and i cant get the speeds i pay for !!!!! any suggestion...?

Rigor_M
join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M

Yes, go with another company that will give you more for less... like EBOX (Electronicbox).

You can by the modem (from them if you want)

and yeah, the sb5100 is a docsis 2.0 so its limited to 10Mbits.
zoid
join:2012-09-05

zoid to Mikemnm

to Mikemnm
Ask to cancel, you will go to retention and see what they can give to you (yes business customers have also a retention departement)

Mikemnm
Michael Extreme User
Premium Member
Laval, QC

Mikemnm

Premium Member

i will try, i do not get the fact that i should have to pay anything for them to give me the service i pay for !
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
Cisco SPA112
TP-Link TD-W8960N
Technicolor DCM475

julienvf to Mikemnm

to Mikemnm
Try to avoid by any price long term contracts. Customer protection act isn't there for nothing and it is illegal for companies to lock you up in long term contracts as long as you don't get a business account... I am personally with Acanac and if you look at it, the monthly price for the 12/12 connection is 65,95$/month standalone when you can get 30/10 unlimited bandwith with Acanac cable without any form of long term contract for the same price. You can also pre-pay for a full year and get it for 59.95$/month... Best deals out there aren't with Videotron, period.
GuiGQc
join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc to zoid

to zoid
said by zoid:

Ask to cancel, you will go to retention and see what they can give to you (yes business customers have also a retention departement)

Their retention dept sucks because with a business agreement, you have a 3-year contrat...

Mikemnm
Michael Extreme User
Premium Member
Laval, QC

Mikemnm

Premium Member

so i called again today and this time the Agent asked if i wanted to be transfer to the satisfactions dep, i sayd yes they came up Whit this offer
12/12 46.95/36months (current price 65.95 for new customers on 36months)
as apposed to the 57.93 I pay now on my contract witch ends in november, i inquired if he was able to do something about the 20/10 line hes offered it to me at
20/10 66.95/36months (current price 74.95 for new customers on 36months)
these are Business lines Whit 1tb(virtually unlimited for me) of data transfer i do about 300-400 a month told him id think about it, i find they are pretty good deals when
techSavvy offers unlimited 20/10 for 69.95 + modem + activation
Altheran5
join:2011-04-08
J3M0C7

1 edit

Altheran5 to Mikemnm

to Mikemnm
Actually, the new High Speed is on DOCSIS 3. Your actual High speed plan wich is ''Grand-Fathered By the way'' is on a DOCSIS 2 modem. The difference is a DOCSIS 3 modem support Frequency bonding and permits bandwidth agregation, hence higher speed capabilities.

What you need to do :

Call Customer Service and tell them you want to get the new speeds.
You WILL have to renew your contract.
A technician will be scheduled to replace your DOCSIS 2 modem with a DOCSIS 3 one.

You will never get higher than 10 mbps down / 1.5 up without switching to DOCSIS 3.

And all Buisness TGV plan are now at 12 mbps upload. except 120 and 200 witch are at 30 mbps up.
Altheran5

Altheran5 to julienvf

to julienvf
Customer protection is down the drain, it is a buisness account, hence a buisness to buisness contract.
Altheran5

Altheran5 to Mikemnm

to Mikemnm
At tech savvy, you will get Residentiel reseller service.

what does it mean :

Videotron Buisnees service offers same day on-site technician if a problem occur with your modem or connection and will litterally harass the network operation center for issues affecting a buisness client. Short, They get stuff done ASAP and offers solutions when you get down. and well, they 'rent' for free the modem, that means .. it breaks, it's their issue. No service call fee. ALL the wiring is also covered. From network to modem. and even the phone wiring is included.

PS. you can upgrade your 1TB of Data to Unlimited .. free of charge.

Teksavvy : you get subpar support. Call center guy needs to call videotron to get technicians.
Service calls are in the bottom list priority because priority is given to videotron customers, and even more to buisness customers. Only the drop (outside wire) is covered. inside one is under your responsibility. No phone wiring coverage included. An issue with a reseller can cost you a lot in time on the phone, work time lost and sells lost compared to Videotron.

TLDR : Service has a fee. I believe it's worth it when your revenue depends on it.
julienvf
Verdun, QC
Cisco SPA112
TP-Link TD-W8960N
Technicolor DCM475

julienvf to Altheran5

to Altheran5
said by Altheran5:

Customer protection is down the drain, it is a buisness account, hence a buisness to buisness contract.

That's why I'm telling you to end your 3 year contract and switch to a residential account... That's the lawyer speaking here.
Altheran5
J3M0C7

Altheran5

So mister lawyer, what about the terms of use in the residential Videotron contract specifying that the connection should'nt be used for commercial use ?

Also, If the guy is using his internet connection for working .. waybe he sould be wary of the quality of support he is getting... Like explained higher. Yes you get locked in contract. Yes it is a bit more expensive, but when a fiew thousands dollars a month depends on your internet connection ... maybe 20-30$ a month isn't so bad for some peace of mind
julienvf
Verdun, QC
Cisco SPA112
TP-Link TD-W8960N
Technicolor DCM475

julienvf to Mikemnm

to Mikemnm
Ok, where to start. First, commercial tech service hours are less than residential. 2nd, I am sick and tired to see companies trying to avoid customer protection act by signing up regular customers to commercial contracts, therefore locking them up. 3rd, where do you see any advantage in a commercial connexion rather than a residential in term of reliability? 4th, you can get a residential connexion and use it for work if it's a residential address. Tell me you've never worked out of your residential connection a single time? I mean, if there were any differences on the network for residential/commercial but no, same pipe, same shared bandwith. 5th, any advantage of being on a long term contract rather than not be on a long term contract? Open your eyes: "customer" and "protection" in the title of the law. The guy here, like many Vidéotron customers who wanted unlimited bandwith had to sign up for a commercial connection. Now they're stuck with it.

Finally, why does a title like lawyer does impress you that much?
Altheran5
J3M0C7

Altheran5

Ok, where to start.

Network around home customer has an issue. He's on a network ticket, will be resolved by order of global impact.

Network around business customer. He calls business tech support. They escalate and get the ticket on higher priority. If it was on a 24hrs resolution objective, it gets on a 4 hrs resolution time objective.

Im not saying the pipe is different nor the reliability, i'm saying the SERVICE is different.

Service hours for customer service is shorter, its on business hours ... Tech support is 24/7.

And if the issue is serious enough, they can get a tech at your place even at midnight. They got a tech on call for outside business hours if judged critical. (Clearly an issue with Videotron Equipment or Wiring in monitoring system and live business is lost overnight. If not, goes to morning.) If its an network issue, goes to network team ... no one at your place.

So like I said, this kind of service has a price ... and when your business depends on it ...

option 1 : Fast service and resolution : $$$

option 2 : Slow service and resolution : $

You have Good, you have Fast and you have Cheap , choose 2. This goes for EVERYTHING
julienvf
Verdun, QC

julienvf to Mikemnm

to Mikemnm
As for customer protection, 0. Thank you.