Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium
join:2003-07-10

[HN7000S] Dropbox

Does Dropbox work well for anyone? I'm trying to determine if it is Hughes causing my problems or something else. My uploads take forever. I got 25 small files (none even close to a mb) uploaded in about 7 hours today.

Dropbox slows down my entire internet. I've also read that there can be issues using Avast. That could be a contributing factor.

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

I don't recall ever having any such problems with our HN7000S and Dropbox--it sure sounds to me like something is very wrong Rachel. Is your DB at ver 2.4.11 (just hover over it)? Under Prefs have you set Bandwidth limits improperly perhaps?

I don't use Avast but the obvious thing to try is to turn Avast off and see if that makes a difference. Yes antivirus programs can wreak havoc on performance sometimes.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium

I actually have version 2.6.2. I have set the bandwith limits higher.

Thanks for replying. I'll look for solutions other than Hughesnet.

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to Just Rachel

Hmm 2.6.2--I thought DB updated itself but I see actually 2.6.5 is latest now.

Anyway that your "uploads take forever" seems some sort of other problem. It's always worked fast for me.
--
Gen4 Power Plan Jupiter HT1100 v3.0.0.30 Signal Strength Typical 125+

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL
reply to Just Rachel

I was fortunate enough to be able to move away from my Hughes connection about 3 years ago. Thus, I'm not sure that I can speak directly to whether your issue is with the Hughes connection, but I would suggest getting rid of the Avast anti-virus software. I used Avast for several years, and I think that it was, for a time, an excellent anti-virus product, but, a year or two ago, I think that the quality of the product started to deteriorate. I eventually traced it to being the cause of a number of problems on my computers, including slow and failed uploads and email issues. Also, it was causing my computers to take about twice as long to boot as they should have been taking. When I checked the Avast and other forums, I found that others using Avast were having the same issues that I was having. When I uninstalled the Avast and replaced it with another anti-virus program, all of those issues immediately disappeared.

I have switched to using the free Microsoft Security Essentials, and have had no issues with it during the year and half or so that I've been using it. I am quite careful about not visiting potentially "unsafe" sites. So, I can't speak for the level of protection that it affords for those who do go to potentially "unsafe" sites, but it has given me excellent protection from viruses and other malware.

Note that, if you do decide to switch from Avast to another product, make sure that you have completely uninstalled the Avast before installing another A-V product. If you go to the Avast website, you will find an Avast removal tool, and using it will completely remove any traces of Avast from your computer.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

1 edit
reply to Just Rachel

I too have run Avast for years and think it has went downhill.
I am unable to run any version newer than 7.0.1426 with out massive slowdowns and that is on a Win7/i7 machine.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium
reply to Just Rachel

Seriously...I'm still trying to upload these files from January. I've allowed Dropbox in my firewall and through Avast. Dropbox even degrades my internet, turning the dark green light thing to the lesser green in the control center.

One minute it will say only a minute left then the next it will say 24 hours.

Please, please, does anyone have any suggestions?

Diverod

join:2013-06-04
Citra, FL

I wish I could be more helpful but I've not had any problems with Dropbox personal or corporate accounts but I'm on a HN9000 & using AVG.

I found this link »forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144367.0 where they are discussing a similar problem(s). I haven't read it thoroughly but perhaps it might provide some insight/direction for your problem.

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL
reply to Just Rachel

said by Just Rachel:

Please, please, does anyone have any suggestions?

As has already been suggested by, now, 3 different people, I suspect that there is a high probability that your problem is being caused by the Avast. And, as I said above, getting rid of the Avast on my computers led to the immediate disappearance of several problems that I had been having with my computers.

From both my experience and from that of others, I have no question that the quality of the Avast software has gone down over time. It would appear that this is not what you want to hear, but, if you haven't tried what multiple people have independently suggested, the chance is good that you are ignoring what would solve your problem. Again, not only for your problems with DropBox, but also for several other reasons, I would suggest completely uninstalling Avast immediately and replacing it with any of a number of other (free) anti-virus programs that are not plagued with a multitude of issues.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium
reply to Just Rachel

Done. I finally got them all uploaded. Finished the last 300 files today. It took 11 hours. I have tried all of the Avast suggestions with no problem.

Thanks everyone.

hughesnet123

join:2012-11-08
reply to Just Rachel

I use dropbox, the upload is fast but the desktop app has a default action of making the upload go slow. You have to go in the preferences and set that to off. The reason they have it set to go slow is so it runs in the background without affecting your internet browsing. I just turn it off.

seagreen
Premium,Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there
reply to One More Too

OK - I DON'T have Hughesnet but I do have Avast and use Dropbox.
FWIW, I have absolutely no issues with Dropbox so I'd be inclined to look elsewhere for the source of the problem.

ecoalex

join:2012-12-02
San Andreas, CA

Gen4 here Linux Mint 16.
I've used Dropbox for many years with various Linux Distros, always fast.