All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Minni
join:2010-04-20

Minni

Magic Jack Plus - unclear answers to these questions

Hi, I can't find answers to these three questions. (I don't consider the MJ personnel reliable for accurate info)

(1) Can MagicJack Plus receive phone calls if computer is Shut Off?

(2) I currently have 2 lines.
One from 1950s, and the other, a new dry loop line.
The 1950s landline has Phone Number-A assigned to it,
and the dry loop line has DryLoop Number-B assigned to it.

Since i've read the many complaints on this complaints list:
»www.complaintslist.com/p ··· ic-jack/
...i see its risky - so, regarding their Risk-Free trial:

Can I transfer Number-A to the Newer dry-loop line,
AFTER FIRST:
...testing Magic Jack Plus with DryLoop Number-B?

(3) My fee for the DryLoop is less than $30/month, and the 1950s Ancient Line Fee is approx. $50/month.
...Now assume MJ Plus would NOT burn out in my outlet
......what can I expect as future fee's per month?
Would it be ONLY for my current DSL service?
OR - would it be for DSL service AND MagicJack.Svc (running another $30 or more per month)

In other words, is it basically just like another monthly-fee-VOIP service, that's additional to the DSL fee?

P.S. as demo of MJ's mud-clear support, here is a paste of my Chat-Transcript with MJplus responding to my above Qs

A: One moment please...

Me: PLEASE EMAIL ME THE ANSWERS

A: We do not have the tool to send it to your emails yet.

A: Let me answered that one for you.

A: 1. If the computer was TURNED OFF, calls will be forwarded via voicemail.

2. Transfer of phone number from different carrier to magicJack is possible.

A: DSL service is not included or under magicJack, only the service of the device itself.

A: I have not heard from you in a while. Do you wish to continue this chat session?

A: Since I have not heard from you for some time, I am going to close this chat. If you need any help in the future, please do not hesitate [blah blah]
dplantz
join:2000-08-02
Bradenton, FL

dplantz

you can't transfer the dry loop line number to Magic Jack since it is needed to identify the dsl line to your phone co and porting it would cancel your number. I would get a real voip company not MJ as they have crapy service and limit some of the places one can call. I use PhonePower and you can get great voip service for less than what you of what you are paying for land line service now and port your number in They can give you a temp number to test before porting if you want and then transfer line A to them www.phonepower.com USA based company as well good luck here
Minni

Minni

Thanks for the input.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD to Minni

Premium Member

to Minni

Are you looking for ...

"cheap" (with poor support, a scant feature set,
        inability to call thousands of telephone exchanges,
        frequent billing errors)

»/gbu&n ··· p; [bottom of VOICE OVER IP Providers list]
                »User reviews - magicJack

or might you prefer ...

"inexpensive" (with excellent support, features, reliability ---
        and no need to keep your computer "on")?

»/gbu    [rest of VOICE OVER IP Providers list]
                »VOIP Tech Chat

greenman
join:2002-06-18
Athens, GA

greenman to Minni

to Minni
A dry loop isn't supposed to have any phone number associated with it. It's DSL-only.

It sounds to me like you have two copper lines, one for phone and one dedicated to DSL. If you have DSL separated from your phone line, then it should simply be a matter of connecting your magicJack to your computer, connected to the DSL internet, activating and registering.

Once registered and activated, the magicJack plus is basically a physical device that also doubles as a pay-as-you-go plan in yearly increments. magicJack plus connects directly to your router. You don't have to have a computer on, so long as your magicJack, router and DSL modem are running and properly connected.

Most people don't pay for a dry loop and a separate phone line. I'm unclear why you would do it this way, because most people have their telephone and DSL on the same line and use a filter to screen the analog phone calls from getting high-pitched digital noise.

Since you have a DSL line (your dry loop) and I assume, a modem and router with at least 3Mpbs down, 128kbps up, your minumum buy-in is $50 for the magicJack plus including a six-month subscription that can be topped off in six months easily with Auto-Renew. ($30/year*) You'll also need to pay between $12 and $18 per year for 911 service. (That's true with any phone service in the US, regardless of whether it's magicJack or not.) If you find you don't like or don't use the device, just deactivate the Auto-Renew feature at my.magicjack.com and let the device lapse. No more magicJack.

Don't expect to do much web surfing or video watching at 3/.128 speeds.

Good luck.

*magicJack will try to upsell you on everything from vanity numbers to insurance to more magicJack devices, so your cost may vary depending on what they can get you to buy.
Minni

Minni

Thanks - greenman can I transfer Number-A to the Newer dry-loop line,
AFTER FIRST:
...testing Magic Jack Plus with DryLoop Number-B?

I know what you said about dryloop not having a phone number. Note that I didn't say "phone number".
Rather I said "number" - since it does have a #assigned to it.

As for router:
What I have is a D-Link modem belonging to the DSL company, which I'm not sure was able to be turned into a router the way some can - because I always need to click an Icon to connect - instead of it automatically connecting to the Net as soon as I Logon.

Also note I don't even have 3mbs, but rather only 1mbs. I'm in the dark ages compared to many people online. Then again, there are still those who don't have internet at all.

So are you saying that MJ Plus would run - per year:
$50 plus $30 plus $18 ??

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav

Okay Minni, VoIP has come a long way and like some have said Magic Jack is at the bottom of the Providers. You do have to understand the technology to properly use it. I have Ooma and love it, with VoIP Providers you buy their equipment and then pay for the service which is way lower than any Telco. It looks like for $50 you get Magic Jack Plus for 6 months, and then if you want to keep the service you pay $30/yr. VoIP works off an Internet connection, so a Router is preferred. With any VoIP Company they assign you a Phone Number to try their Service, you don't have to transfer or Port your Phone number. This is the preferred method because it can be difficult to reverse the operation.

Since you are paying about $100/mo for Internet and Phone, a better idea for you would be to find a Provider that can offer you both for a lower price. Who is your Cable TV Provider, they may have a bundle that will cost less. Then you can Port your old Phone Number to them.
Minni

Minni

In response to alchav, suffice that my situation is different from everyone's which is why many ongoing assertions (now and in past, over & over & over) don't apply in my case. Also I don't have TV & also never owned a credit card; also no car. I know you all have well meaning advice, but they don't apply to me unless I win the lottery when it snows in the sahara.

I can go into a thesis, but it's too personal & boring. Look, many of you are smart, and welcome to PM your guesses, by applying your imaginations.

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav

Hello Minni, I went back and looked at your past Post, and I see your particular problem being sensitive to EMF's or any Wireless Signals. It sounds like a couple of years ago you almost were set on buying an Ooma. I'm retired from PacBell so I know the Phone System, and prefer Wired over Wireless. I think if you stay away from cordless phones you should be okay. We do live in a Wireless World and people just love that, but I think for the home Wired is the way to go. Everything is Digital now so when they talk about signal, it's done with 1's and 0's. In the Old Days the Dial Tone came from the Central Office on a pair of Copper Wires. Now, even with VoIP, Dial Tone comes from the Unit Box from your Provider, like the Telo from Ooma. You run this to you house wiring, and you have Dial Tone on all your Jacks. You have to know the wiring to do it properly, and make sure your old Telco is disconnected because the voltage could damage the VoIP Box. I hope this answers some of your questions.
Minni

Minni

Thanks for the tips alchav, but I don't just mean Ooma or whatever. Please understand that it's a matter of affordability. So if by some magic, I could get to pay a maximum of $30 per month, and for that cost get combined phone plus internet, of course I'd grab it.

(Wired of course.)
Look, I'll try to PM you.
Minni

Minni to alchav

to alchav
alchav etc. - just following up.
(the DSLreports-forum-interface is confusing to me - I can't for the life of me find the Inbox/outbox section.

Rather just the IM tab, wherein i see only IM's
(no see any sent-box)

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav

Minni, all you have to do is click on someones name and you get the option of IM or eMail. Did you get my eMail I sent to you? I think I just asked what area you live, and what Providers you have. You are paying for two Copper Lines and Internet, and I'm sure you can cut your cost.
Minni

Minni

alchav, indeed i'm able to Send mail via peoples' Avatars, just I don't see how the heck to access a PM or Email Inbox.

So I will now Send you a reply message.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD to Minni

Premium Member

to Minni
said by Minni:

alchav etc. - just following up.
(the DSLreports-forum-interface is confusing to me - I can't for the life of me find the Inbox/outbox section.

Rather just the IM tab, wherein i see only IM's
(no see any sent-box)

There is no 'inbox/outbox section'! If you send off an 'email' (rather than type in an IM), the 'email' simply triggers an email from the Forums to the member's email address alerting the recipient to check his/her IMs on this site.

If the member does not have a registered email address (which can be listed or 'secret' with BBR), then no email 'alert' will be sent.
Minni

Minni

I see - except for the part about IM's
My question is - whether IM's are private just like PMs?
I find DSLreports interface confusing compared to, say, UBB.
Thanks..

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD

Premium Member

said by Minni:

IM's are private just like PMs?

In these Forums IMs are PMs ... one in the same, no difference. They are viewed only by the recipient ... that is, nobody else knows you even sent one (except the recipient). That's why most of us call them PMs (Private Messages)