spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JeffinKenner

@cox.net

[LA] Cold weather and upstream power

My power dropped from 42 to 39. How low to upstream power go before it starts to cause issues? 35 or less I'm guessing.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

said by JeffinKenner :

My power dropped from 42 to 39. How low to upstream power go before it starts to cause issues? 35 or less I'm guessing.

I ran a 25 for months for with no issues. Your modem sets up the upstream power based on what the node needs. You can always add an attenuator to artificially inflate that number to make the bean counters happy, but it's still the same signal power coming out the the attenuator.

Maltz

join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR

An attenuator will also lower the download power levels, though, so be careful of that. Though if your download power levels are too high, that might be a good thing.

As long as the download SNR and power levels are good, don't sweat the upload power levels being too low. The node tells the modem how strong a signal to use, so if the node can't understand the modem, it will tell it to up the power level. If all it takes for the node to hear the modem is 39 or 35 or whatever, that's not a problem in itself.