how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

albatros

join:2013-11-25
Canada

Good transit from Frankfurt to New York

I have multiple live streams originating in Ukraine that need to be delivered to New York. Transmission though default route is not good as speeds jumps violently. Source from Frankfurt is 10ms at stable 50Mbps to my VPS on Leaseweb.

What would be the best thing to do this? Get cogent transit from point A to point B and just route traffic through there or just send traffic to Leaseweb DE and then forward everything to Leaseweb USA? Speeds between the two on their premium network is very good.

How much would Cogent 50Mbps cost me?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

i would look at OVH since they have a lot of bandwidth between Europe and Montreal and peer at TorIX and setup a tunnel if needed. you might want to confirm your routes and speeds are good at peak, they have a speed test in Montreal and in Europe:

»proof.ovh.ca

openvz_ca

join:2008-12-13
canada
reply to albatros

You cannot guarantee bandwidth if you are connecting over a transit network. If you must absolutely guarantee it, the only way is to demarc a private vlan (transport network) between the two locations. Then you will have a private connection between the two with guaranteed results.

The caveat is that trans-oceanic links are very expensive. The owners of these links usually lease space to the big players (like cogent etc...) who can lease them to you. Or you can go direct with a company like hibernia atlantic or equivalent.

Either way, if you need to guarantee bandwidth that's the only way. Just make sure that it's a dedicated wavelength service so that there is no question relating to speed and it's in an SLA.

albatros

Canada

Would you have an idea what would 50Mbps trans-atlantic cost me?

pstewart
Premium,VIP
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON
kudos:1
reply to albatros

Can you share more details on what you are trying to accomplish? If you are looking at European routes and concerned about latency then you should remove Cogent from your thinking (biased opinion).

Are you streams in Ukraine originating from directly on Leaseweb's network or another provider? Sounds like another provider as Leaseweb's transatlantic connectivity is quite good normally.

So what/where is exactly point A and point B that you need better connectivity?

albatros

Canada

Point A is Lviv, Ukraine(Jazmo Optical a.k.a TopNet UA) and Point B is 111 8th ave, NY(most major carriers are here).

When we try to stream over WAN, 2-3 2mbps streams work fine but anything over 6mbps begins to buffer.

What I was thinking to do is get Leaseweb server in DE and US on premium network and route all traffic through there as their link should be good.

Looking for least costly solution to transmit 20Mbps.

pstewart
Premium,VIP
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON
kudos:1

Sounds like a good solution for a CDN if within budget. This makes it someone else's problem to ensure the video is delivered wherever you want it and it's what they are good at doing.

111 8th is a really big place (although it's getting smaller month by month) but I doubt that's where the video would stop. It's probably going to then head to RCN's network or someone else locally in NYC area?

There's various providers that can provide you a "dedicated path" from Ukraine to 111 8th if you provide them a bit more details. Video streaming is only as good as it's source so if the problem is when the content is leaving Jazmo's network then it doesn't matter what you do.

Hope this helps...