Search similar:

uniqs
Believersoul
join:2014-01-28
Canada

1 edit

Believersoul

[BC] Disconnect/Drops for few seconds every now and then

So here is the down-low on the situation. Basically my internet drops randomly with no recognizable pattern for 5-15 seconds. I am pretty sure it has something to do with packetloss because I ran a program called VisualTraceroute2010 for a whole day connected to a couple domains, (Google, Leagueoflegends.com, youtube, facebook) and when I disconnect and come back my packet loss for each site would spike up too like 10-17%. I also ran multiple ping tests to various website, and the closest Shaw server to me, and this is what I got (»i.imgur.com/EAhknlO.png). In addition to this It seems you cannot trouble shoo the problem until it happens. My internet service provider has come and installed new cables gave me a brand-new modem which is a (Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway). They tell me that all the levels on their side is completely fine. I've had one technician come when it happened and it showed clearly on the ping test that it disconnected but only said "Request time out" two time, in which he said shouldn't affect my game play on games at all. I have found multiple threads through Google with people who had the same issue I Will link them so others can read ...

community.shaw.ca/thread/5724)
[OOL] Disconnect/Drops for few seconds every now and then) - This two people seem to be having the exact same issue as me especially the shaw one.

For those familiar with what this website is (»n1.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/) it analysis your internet giving you information on whats good and bad. This is the notice I got from it during one of my disconnects, I have run this three times during a disconnect and they all day I disconnected for exactly 7.6 Seconds (»imgur.com/AQcKnUT)

so anyone with knowledge on this topic PLEASE help me I am stuck and don't know what to do anymore...I have tried flushing my dns, renewing my IP everything. MY ISP has basically said Fuck you we can't do anything about this your on your own. So now im here and don't know what to do I need an expert.

I have a wired connection
Tried different ethernet cables
Ran ping tests to prove that I am disconnecting
I have gotten new cables
Got my modem replaced
Tried a different power-source and new power bar to ensure it wasn't lacking the proper voltage it needed to function
Changed my wireless channels
Installed new internet drivers for my motherboard
Made sure it wasn't just my computer this happens on other comptuer plugged in with another cat 5e directly from the modem.
I've been told I am in a low exhaust area but I completely doubt that because at night time like 1am+ there is no disconnecting what so ever so my guess is I am maybe interfering with someone else s signal and my modem is freaking out because of that?
I have phone/ Cable installed in my home this happens after my phone/ cable was installed I am pretty sure.
I am pretty computer handy i know quite a bit about them on the software and hard ware side, but not alot about networking and reading packets.

EDIT1: I Am now running PingPlotter And this is what I get when I disconnect (»imgur.com/9hpHUpk)

Anonimuz
Premium Member
join:2008-12-08
canada

Anonimuz

Premium Member

Were ALL of the cables replaced? Everything to the main tap? It sounds a lot like a poor connection to me. Corroded/damaged cable or connector. It's called "flapping' in Shaw terms.
Believersoul
Canada

Believersoul

I actually just opened up the wall and looked inside, and there was actually 1 two way digital splitter having two pink cables going into connecting to one cable which the was plugged into the 3 way splitter with another random black cable going directly into it. Should I look to have a tech come out here and ask to have all the splitters replaced and the cables that they can replace? I live in a apartment so they can't exactly replace a line. But if you look at my ping plotter image there what does that indicate?
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to Believersoul

to Believersoul
The problem exists on your computer. I believe there is no problem with your internet service.

Proof 1: »i.imgur.com/EAhknlO.png
This shows packet loss to 192.168.0.1. This is either your router, or the eRouter in the DPC3825. As the modem and the ethernet cable were replaced according to your story, the only component left is your computer.

Proof 2: »imgur.com/9hpHUpk
Again, packet loss of 16.7% to the first hop 192.168.0.1, which is your router or the eRouter in the modem.

Basically, the packet loss you are seeing happens before the modem, and therefore before your internet service. You need to solve the problems on your computers or LAN.
Believersoul
Canada

Believersoul

But it's happening on multiple computers? At the exact same time when it happens on the others?
Believersoul

Believersoul to ravenchilde

to ravenchilde
Btw. The modem is a combination of both a modem and a router, I only have one device which acts as both my router and modem... I reimaged my comptuer installed new bios ect. Furthermore the fact that at late at night around 12am-6am I never disconnect so it has to be the ISP.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

Did you try bridge mode?

Anonimuz
Premium Member
join:2008-12-08
canada

Anonimuz to Believersoul

Premium Member

to Believersoul
Do the 4 solid green lights go out or blink when it disconnects? If so, it is for sure an RF issue and a tech needs to come and check out those splitters. If the modem is losing sync with the main office, the unit resets and you lose connection with the router.
NinjaAction
join:2007-09-26
Calgary, AB

NinjaAction to Believersoul

to Believersoul
I had this happen when my Cisco was too hot......try to get some airflow over it. Mine was very hot to the touch when this happened.
Believersoul
Canada

Believersoul to Anonimuz

to Anonimuz
No all the lights stay normal, and I ahve had techs tell me on their end it has never disconnected at the times I have provided them. They also brought a machine and hooked the cable up to it and said there were zero errors ect.
Believersoul

Believersoul to jtl999

to jtl999
No I havn't tried bridged mode because other wise I won't have Wi-Fi. Do you know why having it in bridged mode would get rid of this packet loss? The only wireless devices I have connect to it are my phone and the Ps3/ XBox(when they are on).

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

I think my friend had the same problem and had to put it in bridge mode to fix it.
Believersoul
Canada

Believersoul to NinjaAction

to NinjaAction
Sure I guess I can try this, but the problem is if I have had the same problems with two different modems with the same model wouldn't it be apparent that it "might" not be the modem? I have had like 5 different modems of this kind and I have seen it really really hot but had never glitched like this before
Believersoul

Believersoul to jtl999

to jtl999
How can I turn it into bridged mode myself?
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

You can't
Believersoul
Canada

Believersoul to jtl999

to jtl999
Put it in bridged mode I'll be testing it all day to confirm.
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

Flood detection and SPI firewall can cause packet loss on DPC3825 in certain situations, if bridging fixes it that could be why.
Believersoul
Canada

Believersoul

Turned off that stuff nothing changed still d/cing .. Is there like a bigger form thread where I can post? or is this it
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

community.shaw.ca