spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

joe32539

join:2014-01-28
USA

[FL] Tried to upgrade SB6180 firmware, Cox says not possible?

I spoke to Tier 2 support at COX trying to get the SB6180 firmware updated as I am still stuck at:

SB6180-3.2.1.0-GA-00-252-NOSH

And I have been having sporadic speed issues so it was suggested by one technician to update the firmware. But when I called the support number and was transferred to Tier 2 they stated that Cox HSI NEVER updates firmware and there was no way to "PUSH" an update to a modem.

I am just curious if this is true, and if so, how do I go about updating my firmware? From what I understand the latest version is significantly newer and makes many performance and stability improvements.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

FourWheelKid

join:2006-03-03
Broussard, LA

by 'one technician' do you mean the techs that volunteer here (like CoxTech1 etc), if not, send them a PM, they should be able to help you more if they dont' directly answer this thread.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to joe32539

if your firmware is not updating during the maintenance window that could be a sign of signal issue specially if you have had the modem for a while

stanley_qaz
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Gilbert, AZ
reply to joe32539

Include your MAC address in your PM to the Cox Techs so they can look at your modem.

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to joe32539

said by joe32539:

But when I called the support number and was transferred to Tier 2 they stated that Cox HSI NEVER updates firmware and there was no way to "PUSH" an update to a modem.

False. I believe they have a program that is used to monitor and gather data on modems remotely. That tool has a number of abilities, including resetting modems, looking at logs....and updating firmware. So I must conclude either he/she was ignorant of this fact, or under orders not to update firmware via phone without a technician on site. Given that he was Tier 2, I hope the latter.

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:10
reply to joe32539

Shoot me your modem MAC I'll update it. It should be upgrading overnight. I think we're deploying a newer version, but can't remember the version off the top of my head.

odog
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA
reply to joe32539

Also make sure you leave the modem powered on and connected overnight. We have an automated system that should upgrade it between 12-6AM.

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Yea...about this so called automated system Cox has...its shiat IMHO. I have had at least 4 separate modem on my account where the firmware was static for over 2 months and had to push new firmware to it. Maybe it has good intention, but it is no where NEAR perfect. One of the main reasons why I try to strongly persuade people away from Cox gateways and Cox home networking in general is Cox's haphazard approach to firmware.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

I just checked my SB6180- it is running SB6180-3.5.8.4-GA-00-507-NOSH. Is this the latest version that Cox is pushing out? I don't know.

joe32539

join:2014-01-28
USA
reply to odog

Just wanted to say thanks for your help! My modem was updated to SB6180-3.5.8.4-GA-00-507-NOSH so I am guessing that is the latest version! My speeds also went from around 35Mbps to 50-70Mbps, which is nice since I am on Premier! So do they still update the SB6180 or is this pretty much the last firmware ever for it?

odog
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA
reply to Hard Harry

said by Hard Harry:

Yea...about this so called automated system Cox has...its shiat IMHO. I have had at least 4 separate modem on my account where the firmware was static for over 2 months and had to push new firmware to it. Maybe it has good intention, but it is no where NEAR perfect. One of the main reasons why I try to strongly persuade people away from Cox gateways and Cox home networking in general is Cox's haphazard approach to firmware.

Most of the time devices don't need new firmware. We only deploy the new stuff as we transition from one version to another. If you got a device and it didn't get upgraded the first night it was left online, then it was already on the right firmware.

joe32539 is a perfect example. I didn't have to manually upgrade his modem, he just needed to leave it online overnight.

odog
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA
reply to joe32539

said by joe32539:

Just wanted to say thanks for your help! My modem was updated to SB6180-3.5.8.4-GA-00-507-NOSH so I am guessing that is the latest version! My speeds also went from around 35Mbps to 50-70Mbps, which is nice since I am on Premier! So do they still update the SB6180 or is this pretty much the last firmware ever for it?

We'll have new firmware for that modem. Firmware production generally stops when the device enters EOL status. That device isn't near EOL yet.

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to odog

I disagree. I know for a fact that the firmware that was loaded was tested and available, but was not pushed through(helps to have a friend or two in the Biz). If the problem is deployment, and the time length between development and deployment, then thats just as bad as a technical issue IMHO.

I agree it does work sometime, and I agree an automated system is required, but it shouldn't be like pulling teeth to get a firmware manually upgraded. This is particularly true when the firmware is that of a piece of customer owned equipment, like a gateway. I also understand that the system does work sometimes, and probably the majority of the time, but I also know that many times it does not work, for whatever reason.

odog
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA

said by Hard Harry:

I disagree. I know for a fact that the firmware that was loaded was tested and available, but was not pushed through(helps to have a friend or two in the Biz). If the problem is deployment, and the time length between development and deployment, then thats just as bad as a technical issue IMHO.

I agree it does work sometime, and I agree an automated system is required, but it shouldn't be like pulling teeth to get a firmware manually upgraded. This is particularly true when the firmware is that of a piece of customer owned equipment, like a gateway. I also understand that the system does work sometimes, and probably the majority of the time, but I also know that many times it does not work, for whatever reason.

In the biz? I work on the system that's in charge of firmware upgrades. We only upgrade modems when we transition between firmwares, or when a modem shows up on the network with the wrong firmware. During the "soak" of new firmware only select modems are upgraded, that is the only time we should ever see "two" different versions.(minus failed upgrades and devices that won't upgrade)

If you want to reference a model of modem or send your MAC I can research it more.

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI

YHPM.

And I am sorry you are in charge of that system, I meant no offense, but I still feel my opinion has merit.

andy12472

join:2014-02-02
reply to joe32539

Hi I am having the same issue with cox communications updating my firmware on my SB6180. Any ideas? Suggestions?

odog
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA

said by andy12472:

Hi I am having the same issue with cox communications updating my firmware on my SB6180. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Is it on version 3.5.8.4? Have you left it online overnight?

andy12472

May sound ignorant but how do I check the current firmware version? Also, I leave the modem online all the time.

FourWheelKid

join:2006-03-03
Broussard, LA

said by andy12472:

May sound ignorant but how do I check the current firmware version? Also, I leave the modem online all the time.

»192.168.100.1/cmHelp.htm Should do it. Look up at the top.

andy12472

reply to andy12472

Software Version: SB6180-3.5.8.4-GA-00-507-NOSH
Hardware Version: 1

andy12472

reply to andy12472

Is this the most current firmware?

VentShop

join:2009-08-21
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to Hard Harry

said by Hard Harry:

YHPM.

And I am sorry you are in charge of that system, I meant no offense, but I still feel my opinion has merit.

It also does depend on a few other factors, the manufacturer can release a new firmware every week but generally the providers are responsible for testing and deciding when to release kinda like how the cell companies are. Two companies like say ATT and TMOBILE will have the exact same phone and have different OS versions released, not all that different here.

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

My main point is it shouldn't be so hard to get a firmware upgrade over the phone. I think Cox should revise it's policy of firmware update without tech on site and stop lying to it's customers. Until they do that I will never suggest a Cox home network product. I put them in the same pile of poop that I put Norton and Belkin into.

VentShop

join:2009-08-21
Oklahoma City, OK

I agree especially with the combo devices. . . reminds me too much of the tv/vcr or tv/dvd combos let alone the desktop computer/monitor all in one devices. If one part goes bad you may as well toss the whole product. It may be a little more costly to purchase separate devices in the short term but you have a lot more options later on and if one goes bad its a lot cheaper to replace vs buying another combo.