Search similar:

uniqs
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

Removing an outside door

I have a door leading to the outside in one of the bedrooms that I really don't need and want to remove.

Is it safe to assume that I can just take out the door and it's frame while leaving all the headers in place, put studs in it's place, insulate / finish from outside and inside and call it a day or are there special considerations that need to be taken into account?

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

I can't imagine why you can't do that. If not, I'm curious as to the reasons...
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
Some municipal codes specify minimum egress standards including size and placement of doors and windows. Might want to look into that before you seal it up.
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge

Premium Member

The house was supposed to have 3 doors, a sliding door was put in at some point, so the number of doors if I close this up will remain exactly like what the township thinks I have
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
If the bedroom also has a window that meets egress requirements then you should be all set. Bedrooms must have two possible exit points, in case a fire is blocking one of them.
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge

Premium Member

The question is not really about codes, but if that's the right way of covering the old door
Trimox
join:2012-09-24
Anywhere

Trimox

Your plan will work just fine for filling up that hole. As far as for the codes and having egress. If that door is indeed 1 of the 2 means of egress out of that bedroom and you fill it in, you can't call it a bedroom anymore. So what is in a name nothing until you want to sell the house and your 5 bedroom is now a 4 (read: less $). Just thought I would put it out there to think about.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
That is the correct way to seal up the door and gain some wall space. How about the exterior siding?
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge to Trimox

Premium Member

to Trimox
The room has a door into the house, a window and this door to the outside. Wouldn't the door to the inside of the house and the window qualify as 2 points of egress? because if they don't I have a 0 bedroom house.
Trimox
join:2012-09-24
Anywhere

Trimox

A window does count for egress as long as it is (I believe) 4 sq ft ie. 2ftx2ft.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to Dodge

to Dodge
I'd have thought that one window is enough. I checked with Bob Vila and he agrees but that one window must be of a certain makeup:

»www.bobvila.com/articles ··· bedroom/

Dodge if you have a too-small window I would block-off that door somehow such that you can restore it if/when you need to sell.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
... after seeing some of the crap that "Bob Vila" has put on, I wouldn't trust him father than I could toss a loaded concrete truck. Same goes for that "Holmes on Homes" junk .....

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Homes is more interested in getting tattoos it seems
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to Dodge

to Dodge
you'll probably need a permit to do that, and have the CO changed to reflect that... else you could wind up with big fines, or the CO revoked.
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge

Premium Member

CO in this township implies give us money and we'll give you a CO. When I moved in, none of the carbon monoxide deterctors were working, the fire extiguisher was past it's expiration date, and the house passed CO with flying colors. I don't think they give a flying F about anything but the fee.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium Member
join:2003-01-29
united state

DannyZ

Premium Member

I think in this context CO means Certificate of Occupancy

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel