Search similar:

uniqs
gaganji
join:2006-02-11
canada

gaganji

Bell offers FTTN, wholesale doesn't

Hi there,

Bell is offering me FTTN/FTTH at my address but wholesale providers like Teksavvy are not able to service that address using their "Bell portal".
My house is around 2 years old.

Is this Bell not opening up my address to the wholesale providers?

Thanks.

Calero27
join:2014-01-13
Chatham, ON

Calero27

If it's FTTH than the answer is no. If it is for FTTN than they should be able to. It may not show up in the qualification tool because it is not 100% accurate. You should be able to still place your order if Bell say's they can FTTN but becasue the database is not accurate the order may get rejected.
gaganji
canada

gaganji

I spoke to a Bell rep. they said FTTN/FTTH are both available for my home.

I went ahead with Teksavvy to get ADSL2+ 7/1mbps service and they called me back saying they have to refund my money cause the address isn't serviceable.

So odd... :\
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

I find it odd that a 2 year old house has both FTTN and FTTH.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

1 recommendation

Nitra

said by AsherN:

I find it odd that a 2 year old house has both FTTN and FTTH.

+1, it's likely that only FTTH is only offered, that's why you can't get a ATIPA provider.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to gaganji

Premium Member

to gaganji
Where is your house located?
Is it in a new subdivision, or is it just a 2-year old house in an older area?
gaganji
canada

gaganji

Bell.ca:
You: Hi, is FTTN/FTTH offered for my address: ... BRAMPTON, ONTARIO, ...?
Anita: Sure, I can help you with that.
Anita: Yes!
Anita: You can also have the Fibe Internet 5/1 plan at your address.
Anita: You can have the following FTTH plans:
Anita: Bell Fibe Internet 175/175
Anita: Bell Fibe Internet 50/50
Anita: Bell Fibe Internet 25/25
Anita: Bell Fibe Internet 15/15
Anita: and the Fibe Internet 5/1 (FTTN) plan at your address.
You: k.. gotcha..
Teksavvy said:
"When I check with our Bell approved app it shows that your address is not serviceable for the DSL."

Calero27
join:2014-01-13
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

Calero27 to gaganji

to gaganji
since they didn't list any of the higher FTTN tiers it's possible the only FTTH is avaible and the 5/1 is just some sort of version of that. At the Teksavvy there is no 5/1 tier. The lowest FTTN is 7/1. So most likely it is FTTH in the area. If that is the case your stuck with Bell unless you jump into cable you may have more options

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to gaganji

MVM

to gaganji
If Bell is offering 175/175, that means the house is served by fibre. Even the DSL speeds would be served over fibre.

Bell is not currently required to share access to fibre with anybody else. As a result, homes served by fibre can only be served by Bell, although there may be the ability to get wholesale cable.

Start Sam
join:2014-01-21
London, ON

1 edit

Start Sam to gaganji

to gaganji
(Delete this post please.)
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to gaganji

Premium Member

to gaganji
You are serviced by FTTH, therefore no copper. Bell offers a single low speed product (5/1) over FTTH for those who don't need faster or don't want to pay the rates.

Since you have no copper to the house, Teksavvy can't service you.

And it may be possible that Rogers is not available as well, the developer may have struck an exclusive deal with Bell to lay infrastructure.
cdn_dsl
join:2011-01-07

cdn_dsl to gaganji

to gaganji
Bell's web site is showing up to 50/10 to my address, but Start and TS are saying 7/1 only. I am on legacy copper 6/800. How's that?
gaganji
canada

gaganji

not 100% sure, but it's probably cause it's FTTH through Bell.
gaganji

gaganji to AsherN

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

And it may be possible that Rogers is not available as well, the developer may have struck an exclusive deal with Bell to lay infrastructure.

I do have TSI cable right now, but the upload sucks..

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

are you in Rogers land? could look at Start's 10M upload cable options.
cdn_dsl
·B2B2C High-Speed..

cdn_dsl

said by gaganji:

not 100% sure, but it's probably cause it's FTTH through Bell.

Not sure as well how there can be FTTH (fiber to my home) there where it was not available when I was getting dry loop over copper connections installed.

I know Bell did not install fibre in the street where I live. They are installing fibre along the major roads around the subdivision right now though, but no work was done in immediate proximity.

Just curious: if I am on copper at present, what prevents the 3d parties from providing 50/10 Bell can, if the same 3d parties can do 7/1? They are telling me 7/1 requires FTTN and that would be installed if I ordered. Something does not add up IMO.
cdn_dsl

cdn_dsl

Even with Bell's advertized 50/10 - if that's over FTTH which they would have to install, then it should be 175/175, not 50/10.
If 50/10 would require FTTH, it would not be 50/10, it would be 175.
But if that would be FTTN, then any provider should be able to go to at least 25.
What am I missing?

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

said by cdn_dsl:

Even with Bell's advertized 50/10 - if that's over FTTH which they would have to install, then it should be 175/175, not 50/10.
If 50/10 would require FTTH, it would not be 50/10, it would be 175.
But if that would be FTTN, then any provider should be able to go to at least 25.
What am I missing?

Reading that makes my brain hurt.

If your home is fed by FTTH, TPIA cannot touch it currently. Regardless of what packages Bell deems serviceable to your home. It's the FTT_H_ part that is the sticking point.

If your home is fed by copper lines and the node is fed by fibre, then TPIA should be able to offer the usual FTTN packages from 7/1 up to 50/10 depending on distances.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by oceros37:

If your home is fed by FTTH, TPIA cannot touch it currently.

Cable TPIA can, but not telco. Anywhere down in these parts that is fed by Bell FTTH is also Cogeco FTTH, and there are even areas that have Cogeco FTTH but are still copper for Bell.
cdn_dsl
·B2B2C High-Speed..

1 edit

cdn_dsl to oceros37

to oceros37
Well, let's try again.

I am currently on copper with legacy DSL. Which means I am not on FTTH.

If Bell's site says that I can get up to 50/10 that would mean they would not give me FTTH, as if they did, it would go up to 175.

In my mind that means that Bell would installFTTN to provide up to 50/10.

Then why would not any 3d party be able to install 50/10 FTTN as well? Why are they only offering 7/1?

This is why I said that the numbers don't add up. Someone is lying or incompetent or whatever.

This is how I understand it: to go to 7/1 3d party provider would need FTTN. Any 3d party provider I contacted confirmed that's the only line speed they can give me above 6/800. So there is consistency here and I understand that they would install FTTN.

But if they can install FTTN, then why would it only go up to 7/1 and not 50/10 as suggested Bell's site? Makes sense now?

oceros37
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

said by cdn_dsl:

But if they can install FTTN, then why would it only go up to 7/1 and not 50/10 as suggested Bell's site? Makes sense now?

As I said..
If your home is fed by copper lines and the node is fed by fibre, then TPIA should be able to offer the usual FTTN packages from 7/1 up to 50/10 depending on distances.

If bell says you can receive 50/10, either they are saying so fraudulen....ahem, optimistically, and cannot actually offer 50/10, or there is a discrepancy with the database being used to determine what is available.

Call bell and have them fully qualify your address.. call a TPIA and have them fully qualify. If you still have this 7/1 - 50/10 discrepancy, it may be possible to have a TPIA push the order through for the faster service and see if it gets processed. It comes down to what bell is willing to actually dispatch a tech to install and whether the equipment truly is available to serve you the 50/10.
said by Gone:

said by oceros37:

If your home is fed by FTTH, TPIA cannot touch it currently.

Cable TPIA can, but not telco. Anywhere down in these parts that is fed by Bell FTTH is also Cogeco FTTH, and there are even areas that have Cogeco FTTH but are still copper for Bell.

I thought there was no access to that yet even with cable..? Or is it just no tariffs yet or whatever that dictate the pricing? My understanding of the inner workings of TPIA is mostly gleaned from the random bits I read off of DSLR.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Cable almost universally uses RFoG. The plant functions identical as if it were coax, even though it's running as fibre to the home. Cable companies thus can offer the exact same services over both, and the same tariffs apply. Cogeco has a *lot* of FTTH out there and it's all serviceable with TPIA.

Rogers has some FTTH areas with GPON overlaid in addition to RFoG on the same fibre. In those areas you can't get TPIA on the GPON tiers, but you can on the RFoG tiers.

oceros37
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

said by Gone:

Cable almost universally uses RFoG. The plant functions identical as if it were coax, even though it's running as fibre to the home. Cable companies thus can offer the exact same services over both, and the same tariffs apply. Cogeco has a *lot* of FTTH out there and it's all serviceable with TPIA.

Rogers has some FTTH areas with GPON overlaid in addition to RFoG on the same fibre. In those areas you can't get TPIA on the GPON tiers, but you can on the RFoG tiers.

So given current TPIA seems to access up to 150/10, I assume the GPON tiers would be the 250 / 350 mbps tiers?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by oceros37:

I assume the GPON tiers would be the 250 / 350 mbps tiers?

350, yes. 250 was originally GPON (which was bumped to 350, I think?) only but is now available on coax/RFoG. The reason TPIA can't offer it yet is because no tariff yet exists for it.
cdn_dsl
·B2B2C High-Speed..

1 edit

cdn_dsl to oceros37

to oceros37
said by oceros37:

Call bell and have them fully qualify your address..

Chatted with Bell and they confirmed both facts:

1. 50/10 is available
2. over FTTN.

Sounds like discrepancy is due to anti-competition practice of Bell not telling TPIA what's available.

Correction: at least 1 TPIA now says 50/10 is available. Go figure.
adit7
join:2013-04-02
Oakville, ON

adit7

It means that your area was upgraded recently and the database was not updated. Also the online check of TPIA tend to be older and not on synch, but if you call for a check, they have access at the real time database which Bell is using, which will explain discrepancies. Never base your check of the online qualification, if you see Bell offering call your ISP and ask, they will also be able to offer it.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to cdn_dsl

Premium Member

to cdn_dsl
said by cdn_dsl:

Sounds like discrepancy is due to anti-competition practice of Bell not telling TPIA what's available.

Correction: at least 1 TPIA now says 50/10 is available. Go figure.

The correct term is wholesale. TPIA is specific to cable.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th ··· P_Access
said by wikipedia :
Third Party ISP Access (TPIA) refers to a Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) ruling forcing Cable operators (MSO) to offer Internet access to third party resellers.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

The correct term is wholesale. TPIA is specific to cable.

Actually it's GAS FTTN, but who's counting.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

I didn't know if the term GAS was still part of the FTTN wholesale equation, but I was trying to highlight that TPIA was the incorrect term for Telco wholesale.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to gaganji

to gaganji
said by gaganji:

said by AsherN:

I do have TSI cable right now, but the upload sucks..

How so? A majority of people do not need 10+ up. If you do, Start found a way around the system to offer 10, but these rates are set by Rogers normally.