uniqs

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama

Premium Member

[Serious] One hell of a big pile up on the 401 here.

75 vehicles involved and 35 of them semi-trailers. »www.thewhig.com/2014/01/ ··· -napanee

A lot more pictures here too. »twitter.com/YGKTraffic
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

Another one? Didn't we just go through this on Friday near Brighton?

Slow the fuck down!
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by mr weather:

Slow the fuck down!

AND:

add distance between you and the car ahead of you

clean snow & ice off your car

NefCanuck

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

Slow the fuck down!

yea...i was reading an article the paper yesterday and a cop (OPP) was amazed that a double trailer propane truck zipped past him at 100 km/hr (everyone else was doing about 70 tops).

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to NefCanuck

Premium Member

to NefCanuck
said by NefCanuck:

said by mr weather:

Slow the fuck down!

AND:

add distance between you and the car ahead of you

clean snow & ice off your car

NefCanuck

Good luck with that, I leave at least a couple of car lengths between me and the car in front of me. Then we have the lane jumpers taking it, because my lane is moving a tad faster.

The snow is one of my biggest beefs, I saw no less then 3 cars on Monday that hadn't even bother to clean the snow off their rear window (let alone turn on the defroster to melt it).

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Good luck with that, I leave at least a couple of car lengths between me and the car in front of me. Then we have the lane jumpers taking it, because my lane is moving a tad faster.

That's one of my pet peeves. I always leave plenty of space and people are endlessly pulling into it.

RedMageX
join:2011-10-06
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
I think one of the 'tricks' my old driving instructor gave me was to stick about 3+ seconds behind the person in front of you, or more in worse weather. If you can see the lane markers, pick one the car ahead of you is at, count to 3, if you hit the marker before 3, you're too close.

With all this snow, I'd be giving a LOT more room than I see people give these days on the highways
said by Styvas:

That's one of my pet peeves. I always leave plenty of space and people are endlessly pulling into it.

Mine too, also people are endlessly pulling in right on my tail lights.

Worst cases I've seen is when I'm following my parents in my car when they're riding their Harleys, I give a nice buffer between myself and them, and people ALWAYS get in front of me....which I end up getting in front of them and reissuing the buffer space for my folks.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

The snow is one of my biggest beefs, I saw no less then 3 cars on Monday that hadn't even bother to clean the snow off their rear window (let alone turn on the defroster to melt it).

The police really need to crack down on those drivers. Snow and ice flying off a car can be deadly to the drivers behind them.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

I had chunks of snow hitting me off a transport truck yesterday, and got the hell out of the way just in case ice was next.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
Need to write a book about that and have Samuel L. Jackson read it.

Slow the fuck down!

you are late for work, as you fumble on that smartphone
with a Timmies in the other hand, scalding hot not warm, so
Slow the fuck down!

If you can't see ahead why the fuck are you driving faster?
see that dim red light ahead you are heading for a goddamn disaster
Slow the fuck down!

Your car has traction control, ABS and snowtires as well,
but the biggest problem of all is the asshole behind the wheel so
Slow the fuck down!

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to Jackorama

Premium Member

to Jackorama
That's quite a tangle
I've been watching the EC radar there has been squalls blowing along the lake and north shoreline for several days now, wind direction is right down the highway. too cold for salt to be effective plus it all gets tracked off with all the traffic flow. I can imagine the road would be icing up very quickly. White knuckle driving conditions.
koira

koira to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

Your car has traction control, ABS and snowtires as well,

Yes the sad part is the newer cars equiped like that will practically drive themselves if given a chance to slow down so the mechanical grip can hook up.
koira

koira to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

said by elwoodblues:

You get a better view of the road surface ahead when leaving a 3 second space , necessary reaction time to manouver around a few pot holes out there.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to koira

Premium Member

to koira
My brother was going to come to Kingston today from TO so we could shop for a new bed for my father for whenever he gets home from the hospital. I sent him the news article, it's a good thing he didn't come today. He's going to try for tomorrow, if not it will have to wait to next week as there is a big storm coming on Friday/Saturday.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member

koira

Premium Member

If the weekend doesnt work out for you, keep in mind we could be in the path of a bigger storm mid next week, too early to call for now though

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
I had someone pass me the other day on the 401, I was doing about 70, he was doing about 120. I muttered "see you up there in the ditch" Guess what, I saw him up there in the ditch.

Life's can be a bitch, when you're car loses control and ends up in a ditch, but it was really was his fault.
AppleGuy

2 recommendations

AppleGuy to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
No..Jackson would talk like that. It would be more like this:

You're f**ken late for work, motherf**ker? Who's f**ken fault is that? So you f**ken speed like a jackass, with a f**king coffee in one motherf**king ugly hand and your damned iPhone in the other?
Slow down you stupid, ignorant mother**king piece of trash. Or I'm going to kick your f**king fat ass straight up through your ugly motherf**king face!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

In a Quentin Tarantino film sure, I was thinking more along the lines of when he read the book "Go the Fuck to Sleep".

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to AppleGuy

Premium Member

to AppleGuy
The ones I like are when in the city driving and some a-hole is cutting in and out of traffic, cutting off everyone, ends up stopped at a red light and you come up behind him just as the light turns green. Ah, karma.
Grappler
join:2002-09-01
Ottawa, ON

Grappler to Jackorama

to Jackorama
We ll unfortunately I did the drive yesterday from Niagara Region to Ottawa. Normally we take the U.S.A. route but we had to make a couple of stops in Ontario. What should have been a normal 6.5 hour drive turned into 12 hours.

We left at 0430 hrs, passing Toronto and looking to the South we could see a massive wall of black clouds rising from the lake and covering I would assume to Brighton area. Told my wife this "Cloud or fog" will drop around Port Hope and sure enough coming into Port Hope area you could see the slick highway and that ran all the way to Deseronto area. Not only slick but but with ice pellets (ball-bearings) on top.

We gassed up at the Reserve, left there saw traffic on old number 2 coming from the East so assumed a major accident on the 401 Westbound. Turned onto 401 East went a mile then stuck in the traffic, took us 1.5 hours to get from there to Napanee. Once on the highway we were able to travel to just East of the turnoff to the 1000 Island Bridge and again detoured through Mallorytown.

Bottom line no excuse, the road conditions and such were easily determined, very visual as to the slippery conditions and blowing snow. The transports themselves were being extra cautious and were maxed at 75 kms themselves for the trip, at least those transports that I travelled with.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000 to koira

Premium Member

to koira
My thoughts about the 3 second rule...

In 3 seconds at 100 km/hr (27.8 m/s) you will travel 83.3 m. [100 km/hr x 1hr/3600s x 1000 m/km x 3s]

Taking my car (2007 Mazda 6) as an average car with length of 4.745 m, that would leave 17.6 car lengths between me and the vehicle travelling in front of me at the same velocity.

While it may be quite a safe thing to do, I can tell you that I have seen absolutely noone keep that sort of distance (myself included), except perhaps the odd driver going well below the speed limit in the right hand lane (only then because everyone is passing them). I would have a hard time believing anyone in here that they keep that sort of distance on metropolitan highways.

Even at 70 km/hr, 3 seconds would be 12 car lengths, which is not something I see people doing.

The main issue is the velocity. If under poor weather conditions (slippery, snowy or poor visibility), people actually drove much slower than the speed limit, then stopping distance would be vastly improved as would (and perhaps more importantly) the distance travelled during the span of a person's reaction time.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to Jackorama

to Jackorama
I guess I'm going to be the guy who says "Speed the hell up!" and "If your not comfortable driving in bad weather, stay home!"

You guys have seen the many pictures that DKS has been posting here over the past many days with all the snow in Grey County. Thats what I grew up and learned to drive in.

When you learn to drive in those kinds of conditions, you don't fear snow, you don't fear slipperiness and you don't fear winter. You accept it and move on.

The snow that areas here in Southern Ontario (with the exception of Niagara area) see is absolutely nothing in comparison to areas hit by lake effect snow see and yet I always see people driving at 50 km/H white knucked on a cold dry day. Mix in some snow and their doing 20 km/H.

I'll be quite honest in saying I am "that guy" who will blow your doors off in a snow storm doing 100 km/H in the unplowed lane on the 401 while everyone else is trundling along. Sadly as much as you hope to see me in the ditch, you won't.

People in Southern Ontario desperately need to learn how to drive bad weather. You live in Canada and snow happens.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

2 recommendations

IamGimli (banned)

said by Robrr:

People in Southern Ontario desperately need to learn how to drive bad weather. You live in Canada and snow happens.

Thank you for volunteering to be the poster child representing those people.

Not being scared isn't the same thing as being safe. As a matter of fact, from an evolution perspective, fear is what keeps most people safe and the species evolving. The absence of fear is a sign of devolution.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr

said by IamGimli:

said by Robrr:

Thank you for volunteering to be the poster child representing those people.

Not being scared isn't the same thing as being safe. As a matter of fact, from an evolution perspective, fear is what keeps most people safe and the species evolving. The absence of fear is a sign of devolution.

Acquired skill is what keeps me safe, not some form of devolution as you suggest.

Winter driving courses should be mandatory for getting your license. It would prevent people from driving so slow that it creates more of a hazard for everyone than from driving too fast.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

3 recommendations

Hydraglass to Jackorama

Premium Member

to Jackorama
I've got two things to say about what I've seen this winter (not so much the last two as they were very mild).

I drive the 401 a little over 250km/day - I have for almost 10 years now (not always every day like it's been the last 4 years, but at least 3-4 times a week). Same drive every day. Same traffic. Same times.
Observations:
1. I've never seen as much black ice in the tire tracks as I've seen this year.
2. I've never seen the road as poorly plowed as this year.
3. I've never seen the same type traffic conditions as I've seen during this winter (more to come on this below).
4. I've never seen so many transport trucks in the center median sitting neck deep in snow waiting to get extracted as this year.

So what's different now that I didn't used to see in the past that I can pretty easily observe and make some guesses at:
1. They are treating the road with brine and not bothering to salt until after the snow squalls or snow storms have essentially stopped.
2. They are using drag plows that don't do anywhere near the level of cleaning that echelon plowing with 3-4 trucks did.
3. Since it's only one truck with a drag plow, if they are salting, we're only getting 1/3 to 1/4 the salt coverage we did with echelon plowing and salting.
4. Speed limiters on transport trucks are killing people. The trucks are all stuck going 105 km/hr and they gather up... one is going 105.5 the other is going 104.5... the one going 105.1 will naturally want to pass. The left lane is covered in snow and isn't as heavily traveled - probably has more ice etc. The truck in the passing lane only has at best a 1 km/hr advantage - they need about 150 meters of gain to pull out, pass, and pull back in. If they only gain 1000 meters an hour, 150 meters will take 9 minutes. That's a long time for a truck to be stuck driving in that left crappy lane... and sure enough at some point they lose it, jack knife or slide into the unplowed stuff, and they are in the median (if they are lucky) or they are all over the rig in the right lane (if they are unlucky). I've watched it happen in front of me 3 times in the last 3 months.
5. Not enough people in Ontario use snow tires when they insist on driving in bad weather. I don't care if Gramma doesn't get snow tires and she only drives on warm sunny days in the winter. She's fine... But Cheapo Bob who drives 401 every day snow sleet and sun and never buys snow tires... he's in the ditch every time.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member

koira to Robrr

Premium Member

to Robrr
Here is a quiz:
401 Highway has been a clear drive from Detroit city, now near Quinte you have traveled into the region affected by the SWS below. Some places were icy on approach and a little snow blowing across the road. Now there are frequent white outs which limit your visibility at times to under 500 meters, road is track bare with black ice forming, lane center is snow covered.

Do you:

a) always drive in the middle lane at 80 km/h, now put on 4 way flashers slow down to 20km/h and stay in the center lane. Your windows are fogged up and there are ten hello kitty dolls on the rear parcel shelf blocking most of the rear view.

b) stay in the right lane, you religiously stick to the rule keep right except to pass. now you realized your car is loosing grip. driving wheels spin and break traction and you detect some sideways sliding motion. but conditions are not so bad that you have totally lost confidence and 70 seems like a good clip for now. slow down and keep well behind that truck in front of you doing 70km/h to allow a good braking distance . Oh look over to the left there is that pickup that blew by you at light speed 10 minutes ago, he's spun 540 degrees collected some guard rail and snow windrow . He stopped to change his underwear.

c) stay in the left lane, do at least the limit, ride the ass of that moron in front of you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT UPDATED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA AT 10:47 AM
EST THURSDAY 30 JANUARY 2014.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT FOR:
=NEW= WINDSOR - ESSEX - CHATHAM-KENT
=NEW= ELGIN
SIMCOE - DELHI - NORFOLK
DUNNVILLE - CALEDONIA - HALDIMAND
NIAGARA FALLS - WELLAND - SOUTHERN NIAGARA REGION
CALEDON
NEWMARKET - GEORGINA - NORTHERN YORK REGION
PICKERING - OSHAWA - SOUTHERN DURHAM REGION
UXBRIDGE - BEAVERTON - NORTHERN DURHAM REGION
HURON - PERTH
WATERLOO - WELLINGTON
DUFFERIN - INNISFIL
GREY - BRUCE
BARRIE - COLLINGWOOD - HILLSDALE
BELLEVILLE - QUINTE - NORTHUMBERLAND
KINGSTON - PRINCE EDWARD.

LOCAL BLOWING SNOW LATER THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
==DISCUSSION==
AN APPROACHING FRONTAL SYSTEM FROM NORTHWESTERN ONTARIO AND A STRONG
ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE AREA OVER THE OHIO VALLEY WILL PRODUCE STRONG
AND GUSTY SOUTH TO SOUTHWEST WINDS. LOCALIZED BLOWING AND DRIFTING
SNOW AND ASSOCIATED POOR VISIBILITIES ARE EXPECTED TO REDEVELOP THIS
AFTERNOON AHEAD OF THE FRONT. SNOW ASSOCIATED WITH THE SYSTEM IS
FORECAST TO BEGIN THIS EVENING. THE COMBINATION OF FRESH SNOW AND
STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW PERSISTING
TONIGHT IN EXPOSED AREAS. WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BEGIN DIMINISHING
FRIDAY MORNING.

MOTORISTS SHOULD DRIVE ACCORDING TO THE ROAD AND WEATHER CONDITIONS
AND BE PREPARED FOR SUDDEN LOW VISIBILITY IN AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW.

PLEASE MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS AND WARNINGS FROM ENVIRONMENT
CANADA AT WWW.WEATHER.GC.CA.

END

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

1 recommendation

elwoodblues to Jackorama

Premium Member

to Jackorama
said by Jackorama:

The ones I like are when in the city driving and some a-hole is cutting in and out of traffic, cutting off everyone, ends up stopped at a red light and you come up behind him just as the light turns green. Ah, karma.

I know, it kills me, When I used to live in Etobicoke, I got off at the Martingrove/Dixon exit on the 401, I have to go south, and 99% of the time the lights at Dixon/Martingrove are red. I figured that if I just "idle" my way to the lights (100m maybe) I could catch it green.

People would go past me only to have to brake at the lights. Just hilarious.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom to Hydraglass

to Hydraglass
if those transport trailers are crushed and overturned like that they were going way too fast for the road conditions and as such should be charged for careless driving.
i know they are timed for deliveries but its not worth someones life to get there deliveries on time, since those type of accidents cause traffic delays then no one will be making the routes on time and never mind about the trucker who totalled his rig making his delivery on time
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

1 edit

1 recommendation

IamGimli (banned) to Robrr

to Robrr
said by Robrr:

Acquired skill is what keeps me safe, not some form of devolution as you suggest.

I didn't say your sign of devolution makes you safe. I said it makes you UNsafe.
said by Robrr:

Winter driving courses should be mandatory for getting your license. It would prevent people from driving so slow that it creates more of a hazard for everyone than from driving too fast.

I guess you must have misunderstood your elite winter driving course as well because the first lesson of ANY winter driving course I've ever seen has been SLOW THE F DOWN AND ADAPT TO THE CONDITIONS, which includes the other drivers.

nonBell
@steadfastdns.net

nonBell to Jackorama

Anon

to Jackorama
said by Jackorama:

Here in Ottawa we lived outside the greenbelt and there is a few km of "country road" that is 1-lane and has 80km/h speed limit before hitting a major intersection (Cedarview at Hunt Club). Some impatient drivers just think it is not fast enough and pull off against the traffic to pass me, and 9 times out of 10, end up stopping at the first red a couple of km down. It is just not worth the risk for the unlikely event that he can beat the light (typically there is enough cars waiting at the light that may take 1 cycle to clear).