share rss forum feed

Millenium

join:2013-10-30
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

One ring call? Don't call back!

»consumerist.com/2014/01/29/dont-···u-warns/

Apparently you get a call that rings only once. Curious, you call the number back. If you do, you get a $19.95 fee on your phone bill plus $9 per minute. Ouch!

Prepaid Tracfone for the win.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

I'm safe. I never call back to unfamiliar numbers.

My broad assumption is that a call from an unfamiliar number is probably marketing, and very likely a scam.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 13.1; KDE 4.11.4; firefox 26.0

Millenium

join:2013-10-30
reply to Millenium
I might get nailed if the call came at the right time and circumstance. I have kids and "what if it's kids needing help" could get the best of me.

Xtreme2damax

join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY
reply to Millenium
Couldn't the charge be disputed with the phone company though? I don't get the intention behind such scams because if it's with a credit card or a phone charge the charges can just be reversed and wiped from the bill or put back into your account afaik. I receive calls all the time from unfamiliar numbers due to debt collectors, alternate numbers legitimate companies use to call me or call back with.
--

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
The phone company gets a nice little kickback.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
If the caller isn't in my phone book, I get Clapton's Cocaine. I know enough to look and not answer. Go check all the sites that deal with fake numbers.

PowerfulOwl

join:2013-03-04
La Mirada, CA
reply to Millenium
I've been getting those one ring calls from the 268 and 473 area code. Those area codes are from oversea. I've never call back any of those numbers.

Midniteoyl

join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

2 recommendations

reply to Millenium
Never call back a number that doesnt leave a msg anyways.. If it wasnt important enough to leave a voicemail, its not important enough for me to call back. If it was an emergency, they either called 911 already, or, it doesnt matter anymore.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by Midniteoyl:

If it wasnt important enough to leave a voicemail, its not important enough for me to call back.

Yes, exactly.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 13.1; KDE 4.11.4; firefox 26.0

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to Millenium
Just a bit of perspective...

»www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/onering.asp

Kibbles
Premium
join:1999-07-31
Mission Viejo, CA
reply to Millenium
One just called last night a 10:30 PM...fortunately when I called back it was busy.
I do get calls from out of state customers so I do pick up all calls.
--
»www.angryrenter.com/

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to nwrickert
Indeed. If I don't know you, and you're legitimate, leave a message. Otherwise you will never speak to me.

Xtreme2damax

join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY
reply to Millenium
Anyone have a list of numbers this scam uses? I've been receiving some phone calls that when I answer the other end disconnects the call. Although I thin the phone rang more than once with these calls.
--

rzaruba

join:2000-08-04
I have recently tried the robocall blocker from www.nomorobo.com

On the first ring it directs the call to a concurrently dialed number which sends out an SIT tone.

If it is a robocall dialer, it disconnects and you only hear one ring.

If it is a regualr call or non-robocall, the phone continues to ring as normal.

Lizz
Premium
join:2002-10-22
Fullerton, CA

1 recommendation

I love nomorobo. Works great. And you can report a robo caller they don't yet know about.