Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

1 edit

gatorkram

Premium Member

MAX 107 comes to Greenville...(WOW!)

Well, I was really excited to see a commercial come on TV, saying 107 was available in my area. Instantly I jumped into a chat session, and yup, got 107. It's $25 more per month, which I think makes it $105. Pretty sure I was paying $80 for 50.

So now for the results.

Not very impressive at all frankly, so far the same speeds I was getting before on the downstream, but I am getting the full 5 on the up. I need to do some further testing before I start freaking out and bitching, ha ha. That was just a typical speed test site. I plan to do some major downloading and seeing how it goes.

I am surprised, looking at my modem, that it's still only bonding to 4 channels on the downstream. I thought for sure when the 107 plan became available, that would be something I would see change to 8.

Stay tuned to this message for further developments.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

Re: MAX 107 comes to Greenville...

Last I called in, going to 107 from 50 was going to double my price.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by moldypickle:

Last I called in, going to 107 from 50 was going to double my price.

You might want to check again, although we know each market seems to have their own prices.

Meanwhile trying to find some good places to download from hasn't been as simple as I thought. I know I've seen people talking about it in the forums here, so will have to start searching I guess.
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

Found a good place to download files from Microsoft.

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· abs=win8
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

So far, its almost like the modem is simply locked at 50/5.

No matter how much transfer I try to toss at it, it just won't go over 50.

The latency I posted about in the other topic seems to be resolved, so it doesn't seem to be that. Don't know what to think right now, stay tuned.
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

Well, using the actual test on the suddenlink online tools section, I was able to hit these speeds.

Download Speed: 68707 kbps (8588.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5378 kbps (672.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 19 ms
1/30/2014 12:11:40 AM

It wasn't really sustained though, more like a burst, although the meter continued to show about 30-40 my side was showing much less, but it did briefly hit that 68707 number watching netmeter.

Still wondering...
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

This time I saw it hit well over 70mbit on my end during this result..

Maybe the node / 4 channels just don't have that much bandwidth to give me.

Still surprised it's not using 8..

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

Have you checked with them to see if your configured wrong possibly?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by moldypickle:

Have you checked with them to see if your configured wrong possibly?

I don't think I'd be getting the 5 up if it was, plus that test is well over 50, so I don't think they have any other config files that could be on my modem. About to post another result with a higher speed still, but no where near 107.
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

More results. Maybe in an hour the last few people using the node will go to bed?

I like the upload speed, although I have stated in other threads, it would be nice if it was higher than 5

Still looking for that 90+ speed.
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

Click for full size
Started looking around for other speed tests, just for the heck of it.

This is one I'd not seen before > »www.att.com/speedtest/

My result..
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

This is from »speedtest.comcast.net/
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

Highest result yet.

NoOneButMe
join:2001-08-24
TX

NoOneButMe

just tossing this out there but is your router a gigabyte router ? or a old 10/100 ?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Fair question, I use a wrt320n running DD-WRT. It's a gigabit router, and even the WAN port is gigabit.
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

Even higher speed results this time..

Thinking about hooking straight to my network card just for the heck of it.
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

Re: MAX 107 comes to Greenville...(WOW!)

I might have found an issue with my router. I replaced the firmware with the original wrt320n, and this is the first result I got...

gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

Now I can't stop playing with it... LOL

Now I am interested to find out just why the dd-wrt firmware seems to have been running the wan port at less than 1gig.

Chubbzie
@suddenlink.net

Chubbzie to gatorkram

Anon

to gatorkram
Thanks for the heads up gatorkram! I'll be putting in my order for 107 as soon as the online chat becomes available. Been stuck at 50/3 for so long, looking forward to increasing my up/down bandwidth.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by Chubbzie :

Thanks for the heads up gatorkram! I'll be putting in my order for 107 as soon as the online chat becomes available. Been stuck at 50/3 for so long, looking forward to increasing my up/down bandwidth.

Yeah, I was pretty stoked too. Even more now that I got the problem worked out. Post up some speed tests once you get setup.

Chubbzie
@suddenlink.net

Chubbzie

Anon

Well, they are sending a tech out tomorrow to upgrade my service. I argued with the rep for a bit regarding this but she stated it was mandatory to verify that the end user is receiving the new bandwidth speeds. There is no charge for the tech service.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by Chubbzie :

Well, they are sending a tech out tomorrow to upgrade my service. I argued with the rep for a bit regarding this but she stated it was mandatory to verify that the end user is receiving the new bandwidth speeds. There is no charge for the tech service.

I was worried they would do the same to me. The chat rep did say something odd or interesting when they did the upgrade, they said both my area and my account were clear for the upgrade, and all they did was push the upgrade and that was it. No service call.

I'm special, lol

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

I could be wrong, but I believe the tech is required when you are the first in the area for the 107 service. If a neighboor already has it, then you're good to go. I was told the same about a tech to install 107 >.>

Gator, did you have to pay the $40 service upgrade fee?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by moldypickle:

I could be wrong, but I believe the tech is required when you are the first in the area for the 107 service. If a neighboor already has it, then you're good to go. I was told the same about a tech to install 107 >.>

Gator, did you have to pay the $40 service upgrade fee?

I don't know, lol. They didn't mention a fee in the chat, but I did oddly see $25 all of a sudden due on my account. I figured the $25 was for the extra cost of the 107 over 50 but was surprised to see it, maybe that is the fee.

IF it is a fee, you can bet I will be bitching, because no one said anything to me about it when I got the upgrade.
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

The extra charge looks like $22.50, not $25. Something else is odd, I have ezpay so I have no clue how some miscellaneous out of place $22.50 could be sitting on there, showing due on the 29th. My last available statement is from 1/19 which of course doesn't spell out this charge. I'll have to wait I guess. It's looking more and more like some fee from the upgrade.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

Yeah, when I got the quote for my 107, they left out the charge until I specifically asked about it, then they told me it was indeed included.
NoOneButMe
join:2001-08-24
TX

NoOneButMe to gatorkram

to gatorkram
you try tomato by shibby ? i use it works better then DD-WRT they are both good but i like tomato more.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Im not entirely sure it had anything to do with the firmware now. I've been seeing the same slow results as I was with DD-WRT installed. I think it just happened to be the time of night it was I decided to reflash the wrt320.
Mavranos
join:2013-09-18
Greenville, NC

Mavranos to gatorkram

to gatorkram
That $22.50 is probably a prorated charge for the difference between 50 and 107.

While we're on the subject of upgrading, I just got popped for my first $10 cap overage. Checked out the tiers and noticed that for the same $10 more I can get 50 down with a 350GB cap.

Looks like I'm upgrading.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

What the hell is with my area and pricing?! $10 to go from 30 to 50.......