Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

Re: "How I Lost My $50,000 Twitter Username"

As most people said in comments..... Why on earth didn't this person immediately contact the police for extortion?

And yeah, I would be suing PayPal and GoDaddy.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

That.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

This didn’t work because the credit card information had already been changed by an attacker. In fact, all of my information had been changed. I had no way to prove I was the real owner of the domain name.

You'd think GoDaddy would keep a history of previous account information for situations like this!
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

said by TheMG:

This didn’t work because the credit card information had already been changed by an attacker. In fact, all of my information had been changed. I had no way to prove I was the real owner of the domain name.

You'd think GoDaddy would keep a history of previous account information for situations like this!

That is sort of what I was thinking.
nonymous

nonymous (banned) to antdude

to antdude
The one thing I have a question on is do not use my own domain and google apps for anything more important than fun mail. Use just a throw away google or yahoo or whatever email? Then why bothering having my own domain? I guess I use one of the hackers preferred safe registrars though and not godaddy.

I know google apps hardly switches its domain very often but wouldn't an obnoxiously long ttl possibly have side effects at times?

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

He got it back: »arstechnica.com/security ··· s-owner/

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Kilroy to TheMG

MVM

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

They might, but not at the customer service level I'm sure. Normally once you change an information field you cannot tell what used to be there.

Just more proof that social engineering is the easiest way to get something.