uniqs

Willy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-24
USA

Willy

Premium Member

[Pricing] Short term International access

I'm going to Italy for 14 days in February.

I'd like have phone, text, and internet access for that time.
I haven't gone to Verizon yet but they can provide the service I want but I'm not sure what the cost would be yet.

Whats the best way to do this.
Are there better options available than going through Verizon?
Thanks
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

buy a prepaid SIM when you get to Italy and use it in your phone

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to Willy

Premium Member

to Willy
I traveled internationally a few years ago on the company's dime and had a cell phone with international calling through Verizon.

It was expensive. if I recall correctly voice was on the order of $3.00 minute and data, well if you had to ask, you couldn't afford it.

As Jim_in_VA said, get a GSM phone here that supports the bands you will use over there and when you land get a SIM card for it.

Enjoy your trip!

Willy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-24
USA

Willy to Jim_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jim_in_VA
said by Jim_in_VA:

buy a prepaid SIM when you get to Italy and use it in your phone

I found this »www.gsmarena.com/htc_dro ··· 3938.php , it says my phone, the Incredible 2, is a GSM phone.

So I assume no need to buy a GSM phone as Tim suggested.
Jim, I assume I just find a cell company in Italy and buy a SIM that fits the phone right?
I saw several carriers listed when I searched this out on the Verizon site.

Tim, thanks for pointing out the price issue.
Looking forward to the trip.
First time to Europe for us and we're looking forward to it.
nitsua1992
join:2013-11-14
Saint Clair, MI

nitsua1992

Did this over the summer. Went to a Vodafone store, pointed at a picture of the plan I wanted and the guy activated the sim right there. Two pieces of advice: print off the vodafone.it plan page (translated in english), and have the APN info printed off as well.

Right now it looks like a "smart 200" is one of the better plans. »eshop.vodafone.it/ricari ··· ili.html
»wiki.apnchanger.org/Italy

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to Willy

Premium Member

to Willy
If it is a verizon supplied phone make sure verizon enables GSM on it. Sometimes they are carrier locked.

I did this with my blackberry tour back in the day when BBs were popular. Verizon gave me a code to enable it to be used on a GSM network outside the USA.