Search similar:

uniqs

cableguy
@comcast.net

cableguy

Anon

Wiring up existing PBX to new 110 block/7 optimum voice li

Hello-

I have run Cat6 and will use some for data and some for telephone (no VoIP) -- specifically its Optimum digital voice, 5 lines, 2 fax. Whats the best way to terminate in a 110 block. I have terminated Cat6 to patch panels many many times but never a 110 block for phone. They are moving from one floor to another and I am taking the PBX from the telco closet on floor 1 to new floor/sites networking room instead of new floors telco closet (Optimum ran coaxial already). Is there something easier than 110 block.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

110 block? pic?

I've seen 66 blocks and BIX blocks, but I can't recall 110 in anything other than a patch panel.

jeffmoss26
join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26 to cableguy

to cableguy
I hate 110 blocks. If you don't have the 5 pair punchdown tool, it's a real pain!
I am old school and prefer 66 blocks for voice.

AsherN, here is a link with picture of a 110 block.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/110_block
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

Thanks. I must say that in all my years I've never run into one. Could be a Canadian thing. Large scale punch blocks are usually 66, and smaller ones are BIX.

cableguy
@rr.com

cableguy to jeffmoss26

Anon

to jeffmoss26
said by jeffmoss26:

I hate 110 blocks. If you don't have the 5 pair punchdown tool, it's a real pain!
I am old school and prefer 66 blocks for voice.

AsherN, here is a link with picture of a 110 block.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/110_block

Interesting, I have never seen this punchdown tool -- I have the standard 66/110 reversable blade tool. The current setup has the PBX going into a 66 but thats probably all Cat3, I wanted to keep everything Cat6 in case they go VoIP in the future (VoIP will be $350 a month whereas Optimum is $250 with Internet/Static IP and 7 lines). I guess I just don't know exactly where to punch the Cat6 vs punching the PBX connections.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

LazMan to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

110 block? pic?

I've seen 66 blocks and BIX blocks, but I can't recall 110 in anything other than a patch panel.

110's a US thing. It's a pain in the ass, to be blunt.

I've seen it up here, but rarely.

OP: 66 or Bix are both easier for voice, IMO - but 110 works.

EDIT - Here's the installation steps for a 110 block:

»www.cableorganizer.com/p ··· ions.htm

I'm not really sure of your question, though - I'm assuming it's 4 pair cable you're using? Just punch them down on the 110 block, and cross connect to wherever it needs to go...

What sort of PBX or key system is it, anyways?
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k to cableguy

to cableguy
Save yourself the headache and terminate it with a cat6 patch panel. If possible terminate the wire coming from the PBX on a patch panel as well (otherwise cut a 6/10ft patch cable in half and terminate the cut end on the PBX side). It makes AMC 10x easier and when you go VOIP you can transition overnight and look like a goddam superhero.
mgutier719
join:2014-01-30
Roselle Park, NJ

mgutier719

said by pb2k:

Save yourself the headache and terminate it with a cat6 patch panel. If possible terminate the wire coming from the PBX on a patch panel as well (otherwise cut a 6/10ft patch cable in half and terminate the cut end on the PBX side). It makes AMC 10x easier and when you go VOIP you can transition overnight and look like a goddam superhero.

So terminate the Cat6 for phones in a different Cat6 patch panel and then take the PBX into an ethernet jack in the font of the patch panel? What about the 7 lines on two modems? They connected Cat5e and split the wires (guess one pair per line). I'm a little fuzzy about what to do once I terminate the phone jacks on the back of the Cat6 patch panel. This is the anon poster btw just got an account.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to cableguy

MVM

to cableguy
Where do the voice jacks for the phones terminate in the new location, the telco room or the network room? This is where you need to move the PBX to. Take good pictures and note where the CO lines and PBX extensions connect on the existing 66 block. How many phones connect to the system?
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k to mgutier719

to mgutier719
said by mgutier719:

So terminate the Cat6 for phones in a different Cat6 patch panel and then take the PBX into an ethernet jack in the font of the patch panel?

Yup

What about the 7 lines on two modems? They connected Cat5e and split the wires (guess one pair per line).

Not sure exactly what you're referring to here. If you need multiple POTS lines run over a single CAT6, you can split them out at each end into their individual pairs. On each end, terminate with a proper keystone or patch panel and then connect a couple of surface mount phone jacks to a patch cable with individual pairs going to a separate phone jack (connect each pair to white/blue or red/green on the surface mount jacks).

»www.monoprice.com/Produc ··· format=2

I'm a little fuzzy about what to do once I terminate the phone jacks on the back of the Cat6 patch panel. This is the anon poster btw just got an account.

It's exactly the same thing as normal phone jacks, just with one more wire pair.

white/blue (pair 1) white/orange, white/green, white/brown(pair 4).

You're PBX might use (1) or 2 pairs, leaving (white/orange) white/green & white/brown unused, which you can leave un terminated on the PBX side

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to cableguy

to cableguy
why dont you use something like this to save you alots of time:

cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Because that's a home wiring panel designed to take one phone line and share it with an entire house. (read: not how you wire a PBX; in this case 7 lines)

treich

treich

cramer you can still use what I suggested duh.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Then please explain to us how exactly that quick-connect panel would be used with a PBX?

treich

treich to cableguy

to cableguy
well how you think it would work? please tell me how 110 block work with pbx?
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

3 recommendations

AsherN

Premium Member

said by treich:

well how you think it would work? please tell me how 110 block work with pbx?

7 pairs are connected to one side of the 110. 7 pairs are then connected from the other side to the PBX. In a commercial application, those 7 pairs are likely to come via a 25 pair bundle from the demark. And the PBX is very likely to use a 25 pair connector for its POTS connection.

Now you explain how a device designed to take one line and split it to 16 jacks is supposed to connect 7 pairs to a PBX.

jeffmoss26
join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH

3 recommendations

jeffmoss26 to cableguy

to cableguy
OP, please ignore any advice from treichart.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX

XCOM to cableguy

Premium Member

to cableguy
I installed a 110 at my home office for PtP cabling distribution. It was not a pain. In fact it was a cleaner route than using a punchdown.

Good luck!