spc
Search similar:

uniqs
silverforte
join:2012-05-26
Kannapolis, NC

silverforte

[Troubles] New modem installs viral software

I called WS about my previous troubles and they insisted my modem was dead. I was online at the time mind you. So, they send me a new modem which is a more modern model and I installed it tonight. I was reticent to do so and waited a couple weeks because of how shady WS is. Installing this modem was a mistake.

First, I open a browser page and go through the initial setup. It does not ask me but instead just liberally installs different software programs on my PC. I was never given an option if I wanted their agent or that other thing. I get through the setup and at the END is when it finally says it's modifying the modem itself and is finished messing with my computer. I go to uninstall the two programs it installed. Before doing so, I open task manager and there are four damn programs running in the background that refuse to stay closed. I check my google chrome browser and it says that its core files are corrupted. Great. I can't launch it after I uninstall the two programs. I have to reinstall Chrome.

Then, it gets real good. I get everything back to normal and check the task manager to make sure all is good. It's not. 'ping.exe' is running in the background and closes itself a second after I spot it. I google ping.exe. Ping.exe is a trojan half the times it's been reported. Yes, it is also the name of a Microsoft file but I'd never seen it before in my life and I'm very paranoid, checking Task Manager every day that I use this PC. I'm pretty decent at keeping my PC locked down and I don't recall the last time I found an infection, even in my registry. However since installing the new modem, its forced-on-me software has corrupted my browser, installed random nonsense and even tried to launch popups at me on my DESKTOP (not browser) through the WS agent software asking me to install their security suite? Really?

I SERIOUSLY doubt WS has any business trying to write security programs. You guys can hardly supply people with internet and you're an internet provider. Try to focus on that before you make any attempt to expand into other fields.

I really don't appreciate you guys slithering your bullshit backdoor spamware onto my PC. You need to give people an option when setting up the modem to install this garbage. I was unable to do anything. The install process was automatic, completing each step without my input including the ones that said it was installing shit onto my PC.

I swear to Christ you guys have caused me so much distress. My record with you guys is a mile long and non-stop chaos. Now I'm being told I have to use this new modem and it makes automatic changes to my computer and corrupts my browser.
AZinOH
join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

AZinOH

I suppose it's too much to ask that you tell the world the make/model of this terrible modem.

AZ
silverforte
Kannapolis, NC

silverforte

No more than it is too much to ask someone with no involvement in my specific issues with this company to not be a smart ass to me on the forum.

I'm talking to Windstream, not specific non-staff forum users. They know damn well what model the modem they're starting to use is. For the sake of argument, this is the new F@ST1704N.

Anyway, @ WINDSTREAM... I'm being told the internet light is supposed to be solid, as well, and this is contradictory to what I've been told for the last 2 years by Windstream. My light is flashing all the time, my latency has decided it's going to fluctuate between normal and 100-150 ms, my connection stopping and going randomly... what am I supposed to do? I've got a mile long record with this company, every time they say 'oh it's packet loss let me fix it' and then the issue comes back. It's like they put a bandage on it and the wound reopens later. I now firmly believe despite internet connections being available in most of my area, that I will never, EVER, have a stable functional service. The last time I was asked to send a PM to someone on here, they ignored it. It was never responded to and the issue persists to this date. It started last year. It's 2014 and I'm still having this fucking packet loss issue and now the people asking me to send them PMs are ignoring them.

Bobec
No Stooge
Premium Member
join:2001-01-04
Jefferson, GA

2 recommendations

Bobec

Premium Member

said by silverforte:

No more than it is too much to ask someone with no involvement in my specific issues with this company to not be a smart ass to me on the forum.

I'm talking to Windstream, not specific non-staff forum users. They know damn well what model the modem they're starting to use is.

...and yet you posted your issue/rant in the Windstream forum that is for non-staff forum users, instead of in the Windstream Direct Forum which is monitored and served by Windstream Techs.

The more specific information you provide in your post, the more likely it will be that one of us can provide you some insight (or gain some insight) regarding your reported problem.....or you could continue your rant and see how much help that gets you in the future
silverforte
Kannapolis, NC

silverforte

I'm not looking for help from non-staff. I was directed here by Aaron, so I'm posting here. It was suggested I do so by an official. I'll rant as I please to the Windstream representatives until I have functional internet. I don't need backseat moderators telling me how to format my posts. I've done enough with my service and between different techs and forum 'professionals' to know there is nothing more I can do.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

If you only want help or posts from the WS techs, you need to post in our »Windstream Direct forum.