inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

help - what controls the WiFi adapter on/off - at boot OK, then off

posting this from Safe Mode

-----------

what start-up item or so controls the state of the WiFi adapter on Win 7?

problem:
when I boot my VAIO Win 7 - WiFi connects and pings = all OK..

but then after a few minutes - WiFi adapter goes to off state :/ [b]telling me to use the physical switch[b] to turn it on again - I use the switch and I hear the sound - and on/off state changes BUT it still shows that the wireless is off

-----------

But when I go into Safe Mode it works all fine..

there must be some component that loads that is causing this issue ..

please help .. please advise ..

thank you ..

rescue85
In Memory of Guinness 03-30-07
Premium Member
join:2002-06-12
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

Since you are able to boot into safe mode and all works well, try booting into a selective start up, this way you can select the start up for each of the items configured in your PC start up. When you hit the one that causes your WIFI adapter to shut down, you should be able to notice. Once you find that item that's causing it, you can then take the appropriate action.

I don't think there is going to be any other way to determine the problem since noone but you knows what's installed on your PC.

Hope this help! Best of Luck!!

John

inGearX
3.1415 9265
New York

inGearX

said by rescue85:

Since you are able to boot into safe mode and all works well, try booting into a selective start up, this way you can select the start up for each of the items configured in your PC start up. When you hit the one that causes your WIFI adapter to shut down, you should be able to notice. Once you find that item that's causing it, you can then take the appropriate action.

I don't think there is going to be any other way to determine the problem since noone but you knows what's installed on your PC.

Hope this help! Best of Luck!!

John

thanks mate ..

you mean I should open

msconfig

and in Services and Startup disable in groups and reboot till I hit a configuration that leaves WiFi on

right?

or is there a better way to do it?

thank you

rescue85
In Memory of Guinness 03-30-07
Premium Member
join:2002-06-12
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

Yes, as long as you are following the steps outlined in the web page below, then yes, however, I do not know if this option is available in Windows 7 but there used to be a boot menu when one would hit Funtion key 8 (F8) during the boot process the similar to the way you would bring up Safe Mode, and in doing so you would have an option to run a selective boot right from there where Windows would hault each service / application that is set to run at start up and in order for these to load, you would have to say "yes" to each one. This way you could watch the system and as each started, you could verify which one would cause your problem. I am not sure if this is available in Win 7 or if this was system specific. If this is not available then the only other way that I know of is the way outlined below.

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· indows-7

Best of luck!

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX

Yep, third party driver is best point to start, turn off all start-up items that do not need to run to see if it affects the wi-fi driver.

Start with the security product. (If not a stand alone A/V)
Some products are not wi-fi compatible for the fire-walling.
At least a few years back they were not even protecting wi-fi, I have no doubts some still don't, even though they have come a long way.

But then you just get those computer OEM utilities bloating start-up that have real poor drivers that mess everything else up.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to inGearX

to inGearX
Is it connected to wired Ethernet at the time when this happens?

Blob

inGearX
3.1415 9265
New York

inGearX

said by workablob:

Is it connected to wired Ethernet at the time when this happens?

Blob

negative
inGearX

inGearX to rescue85

to rescue85
said by rescue85:

Yes, as long as you are following the steps outlined in the web page below, then yes, however, I do not know if this option is available in Windows 7 but there used to be a boot menu when one would hit Funtion key 8 (F8) during the boot process the similar to the way you would bring up Safe Mode, and in doing so you would have an option to run a selective boot right from there where Windows would hault each service / application that is set to run at start up and in order for these to load, you would have to say "yes" to each one. This way you could watch the system and as each started, you could verify which one would cause your problem. I am not sure if this is available in Win 7 or if this was system specific. If this is not available then the only other way that I know of is the way outlined below.

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· indows-7

Best of luck!

got it

trying
inGearX

inGearX to norwegian

to norwegian
said by norwegian:

Yep, third party driver is best point to start, turn off all start-up items that do not need to run to see if it affects the wi-fi driver.

Start with the security product. (If not a stand alone A/V)
Some products are not wi-fi compatible for the fire-walling.
At least a few years back they were not even protecting wi-fi, I have no doubts some still don't, even though they have come a long way.

But then you just get those computer OEM utilities bloating start-up that have real poor drivers that mess everything else up.

got it thanks