All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

[WIN8] Why do my monitors keep shutting off while idled??

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I use:
1) AMD Radeon HD 6870
2) LG EW224
3) Insignia NS-55E480A13A
From what I can see there is no reason for my displays to be turning off while the computer is just sitting. I've check and rechecked the settings but still the displays keep turning off while computer is idled. I never had this sort of problem until I upgraded from Windows 8.0 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

I upgraded from a new Win 8 laptop to Win 8.1 and I haven't noticed that problem when I set the power settings to stay on.

I don't have a "Never Turn Off" power option on my Dell Inspiron, though.

Have you tried creating your own power plan with everything never turning off and saving it under a new name? Perhaps it's just a quirk with the "Never Turn Off" pre-set plan and creating your own plan might circumvent that.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
You might have some kind of power saving option in BIOS that shuts the display off after a certain amount of time...

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

mustang50 to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
You could try using the 'balanced plan' and change those setting to never-never. That's what I use.
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to DownTheShore

to DownTheShore
There is no Never Turn Off by default so I created my own power option.
floydb1982

floydb1982 to neonhomer

to neonhomer
I use the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Motherboard. What setting do I want to look for in the BIOS???
floydb1982

floydb1982 to mustang50

to mustang50
Balanced plane does not work because it turns the display off in 10 minutes and put's the PC to sleep in 30 minutes.

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

mustang50

Premium Member

Click for full size
but you can change those to never..at least I could.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

Balanced plane does not work because it turns the display off in 10 minutes and put's the PC to sleep in 30 minutes.

The names of the plans don't matter. They could be called "banana" and "pineapple". You can adjust the settings of any plan however you want -- so for example there's no reason, other than your own sanity, why you can't make the Never Turn Off scheme turn everything off after a minute or two.

Windows supplies some default schemes, and their names reflect their out-of-the-box settings, but you can change them however you want.

Alternatively, you can create your own power plans and name them however you want.
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to neonhomer

to neonhomer
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
This is all I could find in the BIOS. I don't if this helps or not.

Maven
Premium Member
join:2002-03-12
Canada

Maven to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Also on Windows 8.1 here. For me, the display will turn off in a minute if I lock the computer, with no regard to my power settings. I figure it's designed that way with tablets in mind.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Windows 8.1 -- I have my monitor set to turn off in 20 minutes and that's what it does. I have the computer set to sleep 1 hour later. It all works as expected. I don't ever lock my computer but if I know it won't be needed for quite a while, I manually press the hibernate button when I step away from it.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

1 edit

19579823 (banned) to floydb1982

to floydb1982

Do you have an ALWAYS ON mode?? (1 of my power schemes is ALWAYS ON so im wondering if you do)

Good luck

EDIT:
quote:
There is no Never Turn Off by default so I created my own power option.
OK good,i was just gonna ask you this!!