hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
said by Xioden:

Gmail

Google will require a phone number depending on where you are accessing it from.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
said by hitachi369:

said by Xioden:

Gmail

Google will require a phone number depending on where you are accessing it from.

True, but they never really checked to verify that it's a valid phone number.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
They will make you verify a code to verify it, but it all depends on where you are logging in from.

dark_star

join:2003-11-14
Louisville
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to hitachi369
said by hitachi369:

Gmail has never required a phone number from me. And I have accessed my email from many locations.

True, they used to ask for one every few months, but there was always a tiny "nag me latter" button.
[EDIT]: or else, as stated elsewhere in this thread, just leave the phone entry blank and click "next".

Keep in mind that I have never enabled two step (text to phone) authentication.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
It depends on where you are logging in from. If they think you are a spammer, they will require you to verify a number before you can access your account. You just may not have run into that.

dark_star

join:2003-11-14
Louisville
kudos:1
Maybe you're right. But I've logged in from open Wi-Fi networks, such as at a large hospital. I would think such open networks are a source of spam and network abuse.

I used to often get requests to enter my phone number. But I've always been able to leave it blank and click next. Oddly enough, I haven't seen that request for many months.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 edit
reply to dark_star
said by dark_star:

Keep in mind that I have never enabled two step (text to phone) authentication.

Never mind, just read it does require sms/registration at some point, must have changed.