uniqs

rescue85
In Memory of Guinness 03-30-07
Premium Member
join:2002-06-12
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

[WIN8] Recommendation of themes for Windows 8.1?

Hey all,

I am looking for some create Windows 8.1 themes. I am not looking for wallpaper, in fact, I don't want my wallpaper to be changed at all. What I am looking for is something that changes the default background color, menu color and perhaps font color and style.

I decided I wanted to mess around with a theme or something after I started using Outlook as my Gmail viewer. I found that it works amazingly well, however, I have a dark style theme I use in Gmail when I just use my web browser to access gmail.com. This theme obviously is not being used when I use Outlook and I really need the darker backgrounds and the like.

If anyone can give me some suggestions to help my issue, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks!

John

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

Freddy

Premium Member

Have you reviewed the options available in Personalize, available in both the desktop and in Metro. On desktop, right click empty space and select Personalize. In Metro, it's available in the Charms bar.

Freddy

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to rescue85

Premium Member

to rescue85
I'm pretty happy using WindowBlinds (from Stardock) on Windows 8.1.

»www.stardock.com/product ··· wblinds/

Not free, I believe it's $9.99.
OldAuditor
join:2007-03-24
Oklahoma City, OK

OldAuditor to rescue85

to rescue85
The Alan Wake theme is OK.

(edit) Free From Microsoft.

rescue85
Premium Member
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85 to Freddy

Premium Member

to Freddy
Hey Freddy See Profile I did originally check in Personalization, and I am currently using the "Synced" theme, only because I like the fact that the wallpaper is sync'ed with Bing Desktop. Everyday there is a new picture on the wallpaper. I would like to keep that feature, but I don't know how to keep that feature in any other theme. I probably should have mentioned that first

As for the other themes that darcilicious See Profile and OldAuditor See Profile mentioned, do you need to install some special dll file to get the themes to work like you used to have to do in the earlier Windows version? I recall that you either had to install some special dll or there was an app you had to run before you could change the theme and then it would over ride some dll. I don't remember all the details because it was such a pain in the @$$ that I refused to do it in the past. Thanks!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

WindowBlinds has an installer. I don't know any of the underlying details; plenty of people use it, it's a way to create your own themes and/or download those created by others.

As far as I know, it also uninstalls cleanly.

rescue85
Premium Member
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

WindowBlinds has an installer.

Thanks darcilicious See Profile Do you know if the installer ONLY allows for you to install of themes written just for that particular program or is the installer for any theme? I'm only asking because as I recall, this is partially why I never did this in earlier WinOS versions because you are limited to just the subset of themes made for the particular installer or dll. If you liked another group of themes, then you would have to uninstall that installer / dll and install the other one to get the other themes... It because a real pain the the you know what.. lol

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

It's limited to themes made with WindowBlinds as far as I know.

rescue85
Premium Member
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

I'll take a look at them, do they offer any free themes? I would prefer trying them out with a free theme. I like Dark try themes if they have a free one I can try..

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Yes there are free themes.

These questions can all be answered by reading the website I posted above And installing the trial version is free and easy. Try it and see if you like it and can find themes you like. Nothing ventured, nothing gained

rescue85
Premium Member
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

Yes darcilicious See Profile, I am well aware that these questions can be answered by Google'ing or just checking the site itself, however I was being lazy.. I figured that you either all ready knew or were on the site could check and saving me the time to do the other things I was working on lol and see that?? It worked!! lol Sorry :P

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

Apology accepted. But you know, the site is just one click away, same as for me, same as for you
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to rescue85

Premium Member

to rescue85
»www.wincustomize.com/exp ··· owblinds

563 themes.

Stardock is having a 20% off sale through Feb 2 (although it may be only for current customers. It came in my email as "thank you" for making the past year so great).