join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20 to why60loss

Premium Member

to why60loss

Re: Interesting Press release!

said by why60loss:

Well who can sign up for 100/5, um no one in the state of NC that I know of. Only NYC and LA are even getting that, then 300mbs when the rest of us are stuck on at best 50/5.

So when it comes to "hand picking", TWC hasn't been much better. The rest of us have to wait till 2015-2016 maybe if they don't fall behind

I have 30/5 but I can get 100/5 here in Hawaii if I want to pay that high price (for speed I don't need) and I don't live on Oahu but a neighbor island. 300/20 is not available here yet though and I think it is silly. What we all need is more upload and more than 2 bonded upload channels. (Well Kona side of this island has three upstream bonded channels but the Hilo side only has two). Forget the higher downloads like 100 and 300 and give us (finally) higher uploads and more bonded upload channels. To do that though probably will mean analog killed and I don't want that as then clearqam channels will be killed also.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Mele20:

said by why60loss:

Well who can sign up for 100/5, um no one in the state of NC that I know of. Only NYC and LA are even getting that, then 300mbs when the rest of us are stuck on at best 50/5.

So when it comes to "hand picking", TWC hasn't been much better. The rest of us have to wait till 2015-2016 maybe if they don't fall behind

I have 30/5 but I can get 100/5 here in Hawaii if I want to pay that high price (for speed I don't need) and I don't live on Oahu but a neighbor island. 300/20 is not available here yet though and I think it is silly. What we all need is more upload and more than 2 bonded upload channels. (Well Kona side of this island has three upstream bonded channels but the Hilo side only has two). Forget the higher downloads like 100 and 300 and give us (finally) higher uploads and more bonded upload channels. To do that though probably will mean analog killed and I don't want that as then clearqam channels will be killed also.

killing analogs do not have any effect on the upstream channels that all depends on how TWC uses 5-42MHz and that can vary from system to system as some areas still have the dreaded 5-30MHz return path! in the future the upstream path could be changed to 5-65MHz or 5-85MHz but right now that isn't happening and that would require a complete plant overhaul and considering Oceanic just finished a rebuild a little over a year ago I don't see them ripping out the amps they installed for at least a few years.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

To do that though probably will mean analog killed and I don't want that as then clearqam channels will be killed also.

They don't have to kill analog channels for internet, as I understand it..... the reason to kill analog channels is that in the same frequency spectrum of 1 analog channel, they can place 2 or 3 (depending on compression, 1080 vs 720, etc) HD channels. So kill 5 analog channels, and they can expand their HD lineup with 10-15 channels.

When they do kill analog channels, they often cherry pick them from e.g. channel 55, 56, 57 and 59 or so and shuffle some other analog channels around, so that e.g they have a block from 55-60 free to use for their digital HD programming. That's a whole different part of the frequency spectrum then what Internet is using.