spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BigBearsFan

join:2009-08-01
Galesburg, IL

[X1-X2] X1 DVR with cloud Technology (under X1 help and support)

Over on help and support they now have subjects for giving feedback for those that have the cloud function now on their x1 boxes.I tried the page to sign up for streaming in home but after entering my info it stated it was not available in my area yet.(I knew it wasn't)It would be nice to be a beta tester,reading the frequently asked questions ,this thing is going to be really nice when it is all functional. Of course they are starting with apple and not android !!

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

1 edit

why would you need to have to be on comcast wifi the first time to set it up it makes no sense, no other comcast app does that. the website for it ishttps://xtv.comcast.net if anybody knows how to bypass this please post

MrJitters

join:2003-11-29
East Montpelier, VT
reply to BigBearsFan

Probably need to be on your home wifi to register because the home streaming will only work on your home wifi, not data or other wifi. I would think it should work at an xfinity hot spot because one has to log on with Comcast user name and password. However, that may not be the case.

I still have a ton of questions to be answered about this service. Is there an added charge for it? Is the so called cloud storage in addition to the local HDD drive or will the drive be deactivated once the existing recordings are deleted. Comcast mentions AnyRoomDVR service in their blog. Does this mean we need to subscribe to that to get this service. What would that have to do with streaming to mobile devices. The satellite boxes access the recording through MOCA currently.

I was told by a Comcast tech to expect to see a dialog box popping up about cloud DVR and asking one to accept terms before it will work. Similar to what we saw when we first checked out the new X2 preview guide. That sounds like all will get the update as with all the previous updates.

So many questions. Time will tell I guess.

Cheers

mtrai

join:2004-12-16
Panama City, FL

Currently this service is only available in Boston. So I would have assume you have to connect from a Boston based account/IP.

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT
reply to BigBearsFan

That is correct. The service is currently available in Boston only. From what I understand deployment is going to expand pretty quickly as it is an upgrade to the X1 system. As described on the support forum X2 is a Comcast internal naming convention, not a name to be used in direct consumer marketing.

With that said, I am sure once the X1 upgrade is performed, the app will need to be downloaded and then activated via your home wifi network. Will not be able to do it via 4G or other wifi such as at work. Local TV stations that stream local content via an app basically do the same thing. You need to be in that viewing area to receive it. Kind of sucks for snow birds who like to keep up with local happenings but that's the way it is like it or not.

Cheers chaps.

mtrai

Panama City, FL

Went I went to the link posted above it verified my xfinity internet. Then told me it was not yet available in my area. It does indeed do a check, however remember the x1 box also has a Docis 3 modem in it to. So I am guessing it checks that connection. It would have to since my Comcast internet is not connected to my X1 box.

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN
reply to MrJitters

i dont have double or triple play with comcast i just have x1 dvr. also i am able to view facebook and other apps like that, that use the internet which comcast has told me a few times that it should not work because i dont have internet from them

mtrai

Panama City, FL

They told you wrong. The X1 boxes all have a docis 3 modem built in. It operates on a separate network then regular Comcast internet plans.

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT
reply to joejoejeo

said by joejoejeo:

i dont have double or triple play with comcast i just have x1 dvr. also i am able to view facebook and other apps like that, that use the internet which comcast has told me a few times that it should not work because i dont have internet from them

Typical Comcast CSR. They know just enough to be dangerous. Barely.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3
reply to BigBearsFan

BTW - There is a discussion and more info on the "X1 DVR with Cloud Technology" feature in this section of the X2 deployment news thread: »[X1-X2] X2 deployment news

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
reply to BigBearsFan

Here they said yesterday in Comcast Office:

It is available now, ONLY to NEW Customers, not existing X1 boxes.

Requires 49.99 home visit by tech.

MG24-02 Modem installed as part of it ONLY, not available seperately
--
- Bill

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT

2 edits

said by bgoodbody:

Some are saying that. Comcast's links posted by ComcastTed over on the support forum makes no mention of this. Actually the opposite. I have read them twice because I am old and slow. Comcast's own PR specifically states that the update is automatically pushed to the user and at that point an app is needed to make streaming happen. No additional charges, it says.

Now this tends to lend credence to the other theory out there that a recordings will be copied to the cloud and transcoded on the Comcast server. Playable via the app exactly like their limited streaming app is working now. This makes sense, but I do not know and cannot for the life of me pry this info from Comcast. They either do not know or refuse to discuss it.

Also in support of this does not the MG24-02 modem do it's own transcoding? Of course it does. So if this is the path Comcast is taking, then why would an app be needed? Isn't this similar to TIVO MRS? All that is needed there is the transcoding equipment (roamio) and a high speed network which most of us have.

I do NOT believe we are going to need an XG3/5 server to make this happen. No way.

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1

said by MrJitters:

Now this tends to lend credence to the other theory out there that a recordings will be copied to the cloud and transcoded on the Comcast server. Playable via the app exactly like their limited streaming app is working now. This makes sense, but I do not know and cannot for the life of me pry this info from Comcast. They either do not know or refuse to discuss it.

Agreed. With Comcast I always assume ignorance by whomever wrote up the FAQ.

said by MrJitters:

Also in support of this does not the MG24-02 modem do it's own transcoding? Of course it does. So if this is the path Comcast is taking, then why would an app be needed? Isn't this similar to TIVO MRS? All that is needed there is the transcoding equipment (roamio) and a high speed network which most of us have.

Right, the XG5 would do local (in home, on your Wi-Fi network) real-time transcoding of live TV to be sent to your iPad/iPhone/etc.
It's like a TiVo with the Stream add-on (or a Roamio Pro/Plus which has it built in).

said by MrJitters:

I do NOT believe we are going to need an XG3/5 server to make this happen. No way.

Agreed, for the cloud storage part, there's no reason for needing an XG5, that's the whole point, it's done in the cloud on Comcast's servers.

However I can certainly see new subscribers getting told to get the whole new package with the MG2402, etc. since all of these features (cloud stuff, live TV streaming, and the X2 guide update) are just about to launch for everyone. And what's more it's being tested in the Boston area, so it makes even more sense for that people from that region are being told this.

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT

said by SpHeRe31459:

Agreed, for the cloud storage part, there's no reason for needing an XG5, that's the whole point, it's done in the cloud on Comcast's servers.

However I can certainly see new subscribers getting told to get the whole new package with the MG2402, etc. since all of these features (cloud stuff, live TV streaming, and the X2 guide update) are just about to launch for everyone. And what's more it's being tested in the Boston area, so it makes even more sense for that people from that region are being told this.

Agreed, looking at it from the perspective of a new client, they most certainly will give them the MG2402. Why not? They will need a modem that does phone and internet anyway so why not give them one that does the whole enchilada. I would want it and I get you would too.

Those of us existing customers, we will not need it for this next update.

I have been told there is more IP stuff coming that will take advantage of this gateway in the future. Time will tell.

NHHD99

join:2009-10-17
Hampton, NH
reply to bgoodbody

said by bgoodbody:

Here they said yesterday in Comcast Office:

I've been an X1 customer for a while now and just wanted to add on cloud technology feature and was told I needed the new modem, I just got a new modem when I had the install for the X1 a few months ago.

MrJitters

East Montpelier, VT
reply to BigBearsFan

See, this is why I cannot wrap my mind around Comcast. They take the time, trouble and money to operate a support forum few techs visit to bother and answer questions on.

To attempt to roll out a new service, take the time to post FAQ's, pdf's and the like in some attempt at information and when people call to order this new service they find out the information they have been given is untrue or misleading. Or, the CSR's we are talking to know absolutely nothing about the product and give out misleading info. In either case, we the end user, have no idea what the hell is going on.

If these morons can still make money and keep their shareholders happy, anybody can.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to BigBearsFan

An article on the MCN site this morning about this:

Comcast’s Cloud DVR Rolls Into Boston
Updated X1 Service Also Enables In-Home Live TV Streaming To Mobile Devices

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - February 4, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/distributio···n/148088

quote:
... The new “X1 DVR with Cloud Technology,” for example, lets customers access recorded shows and movies stored on Comcast’s network servers and play them back via the MSO’s managed IP video network to devices that are hanging off the customer’s home network. “The X1 DVR with cloud technology is part of your in-home DVR service and is limited to the range of your personal in-home XFINITY Network,” the FAQ on the product explains.
:
Video portability and mobility are coming into play, however, with a new “check-out” feature that allows customers to sideload unique copies of DVR recordings to tablets and smartphones (up to a maximum of ten recordings per device) for offline, on-the-go viewing. Like a library book, customers must check-in/return recordings before they can be downloaded and played back on other authorized devices. Comcast is not yet offering this DVR check-out feature on PCs.

In Boston, where Comcast first launched X1 in mid-2012, Comcast is supporting many of the new X1 cloud services features on Web browsers and a new “Xfinity TV” app for Apple iPhones and iPads. Comcast plans to extend support to Android-powered devices later this year, according to an online FAQ about the service.

Comcast’s first iteration of the cloud DVR will provide 500 gigabytes of video storage and allow customers to record up to four shows at once while watching a fifth, though the operator has plans to expand it so customers can record up to six shows while watching a seventh (Cablevision’s recently relaunched network-based Multi-Room DVR, which currently limits access to set-top boxes, lets customers record up to ten shows at once).

Comcast’s FAQ on cloud DVR recording and playback features notes that customers are allowed to register up to 40 devices for in-home live TV or DVR streaming, and stream DVR-recorded content to up to five devices at the same time.

On the set-top end of the equation, Comcast’s new cloud DVR service is currently capable of running on the XG1, a hybrid QAM/IP HD-DVR for the X1 platform that the operator currently sources from Pace and Arris. Comcast and its suppliers are also developing a “headless” gateway called the XG5 as well as an all-IP HD client device dubbed the Xi3. Comcast has not announced when it will deploy either of those models.

Comcast said it plans to introduce the new cloud DVR and in-home live streaming capabilities for the X1 platform to additional markets later this year. It didn’t say which markets were next in line, but Philadelphia has been the site of earlier cloud DVR trials. ...

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Comcast just put out this press release on it also:

Comcast Launches X1 DVR with Cloud Technology and Live In-Home Streaming in Boston
Customers Can Now Watch DVR Recordings on Devices in the Home And Download Recorded Content to Take On-The-Go
Live TV Streaming Feature Provides Access to Channel Lineup and X1 Guide on Devices in the Home

Comcast Press Release, Business Wire - February 4, 2014
»www.businesswire.com/news/home/2···ogy-Live

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

An entry about it on the "Comcast Voices" blog site yesterday:

X1 Cloud DVR: A Giant Leap for TV Everywhere
By J T. Ramsay, Comcast Voices blog - February 10, 2014
»corporate.comcast.com/comcast-vo···erywhere

telcodad