uniqs

Mr Guy
@charter.com

1 recommendation

Mr Guy

Anon

The OP contridicts himself

quote:
While one side of the IP transition honestly involves the necessary and inevitable migration away from the PSTN and copper and toward IP-based technologies, AT&T and Verizon have used the transition as cover for a massive effort to strip consumer protections on millions of DSL lines they refuse to upgrade.
If migration away from copper is "necessary and inevitable" then why insist that at&t and Verizon upgrade lines? That's like insisting that at&t and Verizon MUST keep pay phones around because not everyone has a smartphone. You upgrade a line because you expect to have several DECADES of use out of it. Not "you upgrade these lines even though in less than 10 years they'll be useless".

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 edit

Karl Bode

News Guy

quote:
...why insist that at&t and Verizon upgrade lines?
Can you show me where the piece "insists" that AT&T and Verizon upgrade lines?

What it does insist is that the migration to an "IP age" is being used as cover for a move to hang up on a lot of in-use DSL lines, and there needs to be a conversation on what really will happen to those users and what to do about it.

And I do think the migration from copper to fiber is necessary and inevitable in some areas and over a significant amount of time, though I think the piece pretty clearly explains how that's not the same thing as gutting regs, pulling DSL, then just telling everybody wireless is good enough.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

The claim can be made because this site promotes fiber over anything else regardless of anything else- and a Muni Fiber run on tax payer's money more than anything. The only way you will see anything besides wireless is if the ROI is there and the line sharing requirement is stripped completely and the FCC is put in their place and told they only regulate the phone system- NOT the Internet.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to Karl Bode

Anon

to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

Can you show me where the piece "insists" that AT&T and Verizon upgrade lines?

Sure you said "AT&T and Verizon have used the transition as cover for a massive effort to strip consumer protections on millions of DSL lines they refuse to upgrade."

That quote is said by someone who is pretty upset at at&t and Verizon for not wanting to upgrade their lines THUS they would want at&t and Verizon to upgrade their lines. Otherwise there is ZERO pint in bringing it up.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

You're reaching. Some of those lines really should be upgraded (Boston, Alexandria). Some rural lines are quite understandably more difficult to upgrade. Nowhere does it say they all should be.

I think reading "pretty upset" and "insisting all lines should be upgraded" into a single sentence simply pointing out two companies refuse to upgrade is a weird jump.