49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

1 recommendation

FureverFurry

Premium Member

What about the older folks ?

How will this affect older folks, besides negatively ? The ones who have the PERS alarms ("help, I've fallen) that use traditional landlines? And what about the oldsters who either aren't tech savvy with a cell phone or just flat out can't afford a cell phone ?

Poorly thought out, but - as I'm not in charge of the universe, they didn't ask me.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

»www.adt.com/home-health/

We have wireless systems for that now.

»www.greatcall.com/FiveSt ··· esponse/

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy to FureverFurry

MVM

to FureverFurry
As soon as the bullet:

Public safety communications must be available no matter the technology

is proven regardless of the length of a power outage (as provided now by POTS) I'll be interested. Until then I am not.
J

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to FureverFurry

Anon

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

How will this affect older folks, besides negatively ? The ones who have the PERS alarms ("help, I've fallen) that use traditional landlines? And what about the oldsters who either aren't tech savvy with a cell phone or just flat out can't afford a cell phone ?

Perhaps those companies should upgrade their equipment.

How many more years do older folks get a pass as not being "tech savvy?" In 2050 do we still give a 70 year old a pass even though he was born in 1980?

As far as not being able to afford a phone. The Bushphone program that started in 2008 gives free phones to people. I'm pretty sure seniors qualify.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

said by Mr Guy :

How many more years do older folks get a pass as not being "tech savvy?" In 2050 do we still give a 70 year old a pass even though he was born in 1980?

I'm referring to the older folks we have NOW (not 36 years hence) who - at ages 80 and OVER - cannot grasp technology. Worse, many can't afford it. Those "free phones" don't apply to the seniors who e-a-r-n too much to qualify for assistance, but whose budgets can't fit in another added expense. And those PERS systems don't work well with VOIP.

We need to show more respect towards our elderly; it's the sign of a civilized society.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

You'll of course have to buy your security system from the local cable monopoly.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

1 recommendation

thedragonmas to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
exactly, dads 71, i had to go out and buy a samsung rugby 2 for him, and even then its still to complicated, he just wants to push one button and call, it took me months to teach him what speed dial numbers where me and mom. and even then he complains any time a stranger calls because it doesnt have name caller i.d. and god forbid he try to dial a full number, i still cant get it through his head he needs to dial an area code (something he didnt need to do with a landline)

yeah, to those saying they should just upgrade their equipment, how about the cell companies upgrade theirs to provide caller i.d. something thats been around since the early 90's,

as for voip? it CAN work with analog modem based systems, IF they use loss less compression, so how about having THEM upgrade their systems to loss less.

as for affording it, exactly, those life line phones require your income to be nill, i.e. ssi for the disabled $721/mo (something we as a society should be ashamed of, it should at least equal min wage, costs for disabled folks are higher, especially since they have to buy there own equipment, i.e. "video eye" , "white canes" etc, out of pocket) and cell phone service is more than landline in most cases, and no, granny isnt going to prepay for a landline so prepaid isnt compareable.

i knew an 80 year old woman who was still paying for rotary service and RENTING a phone from bellsouth/att about 5 years ago!

and heres a thought, to you folks about "upgrade their equipment" how about TTY's? you gonna pay to replace the ones that cant work on voip? cuz they aint cheap (see ssi reference above) yeah sorry, but unless and until such voip/wireless service has a 99.999% up time guarantee/mandate, and works with loss less compression, no dice.

and as for those batteries, they do you NO good if the service you use, does not have battery backups on the plant, i.e. mediacom, when i had "phone" from them, sure the EMTA had a battery (and yes, it did in fact only last 2 hours, want 4? add a second battery) that did you no good when the power went out, because they didnt have backups for their line amps or plant in general. thats why they advertise it as an "entertainment service" and "recommend" you have a cell phone backup. and before some one chimes in with "cordless phones dont work when the powers out" guess what? mine did, built in battery backup, and hard line phones DO (desk phone, slim line phone, etc)