spc
Search similar:

uniqs

rgl
@comcast.net

rgl

Anon

[Equip] Well, My DOCSIS 1.1 modem is still working

They sent me a letter. "Replace your old modem, it won't work after December 2, 2013." I didn't replace it.

They sent me another letter. "Hey, you still haven't replaced your old modem, it won't work after December 2, 2013." I didn't replace it.

Then they injected pop-up messages in my browser, saying the same thing.

December 2, 2013 has come and gone. Almost two whole months since the "deadline", and my old 1.1 modem works just fine.

I wonder how many people Comcast conned into renting a new modem, or buying one?

Now something new and surprising has happened. They sent me a letter, saying that because I am a valued Comcast customer, they want to send me a brand-new XFINITY Wireless Gateway device at no charge for 12 months!

That's a value of $96! (Modem rent is $8/month around here.) The offer ends 3/31/14 which to me means I can keep using my DOCSIS 1.1 modem for at least another two months! Because they lied about the phony December 2 deadline!

For anyone who rushed to rent or buy a new modem because Comcast told you your service would be cut off on Dec. 2nd : suckers! You should have just done nothing and now you could be getting a new brand-new XFINITY Wireless Gateway device for free!

GhostBuster
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

GhostBuster

Anon

nicely done. They'll probably find your ip address using your post and disconnect the hell out of you now. It was nice knowing you.

rgl
@comcast.net

rgl

Anon

said by GhostBuster :

nicely done. They'll probably find your ip address using your post and disconnect the hell out of you now. It was nice knowing you.

Does Comcast own this forum? I've wondered about that before.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to rgl

Premium Member

to rgl
said by rgl :

For anyone who rushed to rent or buy a new modem because Comcast told you your service would be cut off on Dec. 2nd : suckers! You should have just done nothing and now you could be getting a new brand-new XFINITY Wireless Gateway device for free!

I think you're the sucker in this situation since you're holding back network upgrades for yourself .

I don't think it was necessary to make a new thread:
»[Equip] My DOCSIS 1.1 modem is still working

Hopefully this one doesn't get locked.
C4Xplosive
join:2002-02-21
Vancouver, WA

C4Xplosive to rgl

to rgl
LOL I could understand like a DOCSIS 2.0 modem, but 1.1? Really? Why would anyone still be rocking one of those. I guess if it ain't broke why fix it, but with the speed boosts these days you're really just holding yourself back. In fact that's the only reason I'm upgrading myself (waiting patiently).

I don't think it's necessarily Comcast trying to sucker people into buying a new modem or what not, but trying to move people onto DOCSIS 3.0 so that way they can fully enhance the entire infrastructure as the difference is fairly different underneath. Plus. Buy new modem. Own it. Supports new speeds as they keep them doubling. Save on a $7 rental fee monthly. Modems only costing $50-60. Whats to hate?

Can't blame them for being pushy, but at the same time Cable Co's kinda created this mess by refusing to push DOCSIS 2.0/3.0 hardware to customers for a long, long time on new installs. I remember when Cable ISP's hated you buying your own modem and those same modems were $150+. Thank god those days are mostly over. They love them those fees.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt to rgl

Premium Member

to rgl
said by rgl :

Does Comcast own this forum?

No!
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA

videomatic3 to rgl

to rgl
grats, wireless gateway modem's are pieces of shit.
Gerard1234
join:2012-04-03

Gerard1234

The wireless gateway 2 is pretty good especially for it's dual channel range, never seen a gateway with such good range. And the admin page is not as crippled as it used to be either much more things you can do with it include dynamic dns the ability to turn on and off each of the wifi radios separately etc.

anonomeX
@comcast.net

anonomeX to rgl

Anon

to rgl
Your brinksmanship is... remarkable. I expect, though, your connection "drags" a bit. As far as the "value" of their Gateway device is concerned, even $96 might be overstating it. I went looking for my old D2 modem a while back (and the wireless router I used to use with it)--couldn't find it; but I did come across my old D1 and D1.1 modems--not that I'd ever want to use them again. Nope, I'd rather pay the $80 for the SB6141 (at Best Buy or Costco). D3 just works better.

Just so you know, once you remove your old modem from their network and start using the "gateway", don't expect that they'll ever activate/provision the old one again. (A good thing really.)

rgl
@comcast.net

1 edit

rgl to Darknessfall

Anon

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

I think you're the sucker in this situation since you're holding back network upgrades for yourself.

Wrong. I have Economy plus and a new modem won't make any difference.
said by Darknessfall:

Wrong. That thread was locked.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr to rgl

Premium Member

to rgl
Yes, yes, the world is out to get you. How dare they offer you a free gateway after you ignored warnings to upgrade!

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to rgl

Premium Member

to rgl
said by rgl :

said by Darknessfall:

I think you're the sucker in this situation since you're holding back network upgrades for yourself.

Wrong. I have Economy plus and a new modem won't make any difference.
said by Darknessfall:

Wrong. That thread was locked.

Just because you're on a low tier doesn't mean you are safe from network issues.

What I meant about the past thread was that it was locked. I was saying that it wasn't necessary since you're just going to get the same things over again that you were told in the past thread. This is basically the same thread over again with just the information about the free gateway added.

Why make a thread that's essentially a copy of another that was locked? You would have changed your modem out if you actually cared about the threads you were making. All of the posts here are worthless since it won't make a difference. You have shown that you are oblivious to any feedback and are only creating threads to attempt to "show off" that you rebelling against what you're being asked of to do. You purposely made this thread knowing that you're going to get the same hate messages as you did in the last one.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

1 recommendation

Sunny to rgl

to rgl
Closing this one, too. rgl please don't bring this topic back again. Thanks.
System

Anon

This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course