Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

[News] Nadella to be new Microsoft CEO and Gates kicked off board?

Bloomberg is reporting that Satya Nadella is about to become the new CEO for Microsoft. He's the Cloud guy. Bloomberg also says Bill Gates may be removed as chairman of the board.

»www.businessweek.com/articles/20···omes-ceo
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

1 edit

OK so someone has to tell me exactly why changes are needed at Microsoft, for example the recent quarters report marked its fourth straight quarter of double-digit sales growth and unlike Apple, Microsoft's quarter exceeded Wall Street's targets. Google just announce quarter profits of $3.4 Billion, half of Microsoft's quarterly profit of $8 Billion. Microsoft is popping along rather nicely and is positioned nicely for continued grow, so why is a changed needed or is Ballmer going to Apple to replace Tim Cook in order to turn the fruit company around?

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

2 recommendations

Because they just launched a disastrous OS?

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to Link Logger

Ballmer lacks vision for the future?

blakenet

join:2011-03-15
Montreal, QC
reply to AsherN

as usual ....

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
reply to AsherN

Agreed. I think they realize the boatload of more revenue they would be getting if they hadn't screwed up on Vista and Windows 8.

Blob
--
Don't try to follow me, I have a cab waiting. EEEEEEEEradicator!

workablob

Houston, TX
reply to dave

He also lacks a soul IMHO

Blob

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

OK so someone has to tell me exactly why changes are needed at Microsoft

Their shipped code in the last couple years just sucks. They have massive quality issues and many, many endeavors running in the red. The cash firehoses of Windows and Office are covering up a whole lot of problems (I think everything else they do loses money), and have been for years: I think they are succeeding in spite of themselves. On the server side of things, Server 2012 has huge, unpatched issues and I've been entirely unable to get PSS to do anything tangible to help. Win8 is an example of their horrible arrogance; ripping out features that users have clearly deemed important in order to stupidly create a consistent UI across their platforms.

In short, they are Novell/Netware, right before MS walked in and took all their market share.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
reply to workablob

Perhaps, but that's never been a requirement to succeed in business.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Mele20

October 2013 in Business Insider
Report: Three Top Microsoft Investors Call For Bill Gates To Step Down
»www.businessinsider.com/investor···-2013-10

workablob

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dave

said by dave:

Perhaps, but that's never been a requirement to succeed in business.

Bastards and Cream Rise.

Blob
--
Don't try to follow me, I have a cab waiting. EEEEEEEEradicator!

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

the recent quarters report marked its fourth straight quarter of double-digit sales growth

These might very well be numbers driven by companies doing a "last gasp" upgrade from WinXP or whatever to Win7; they are most likely avoiding Win8 like the plague. (These organizations may stick with Win7 for a long time, just like they did with WinXP, or they may choose to go to Linux or whatever in the future.) Also, Microsoft has put through some recent licensing price increases that may help their bottom line temporarily but which are causing even hard-core Microsoft shops to seriously consider looking at alternatives now.

In addition, they may be playing some accounting tricks here. These have been joked about in the past as being "completely unnecessary", but still potentially available for use if and when it became necessary in order to make the business still look very healthy when, in reality, not so much. They may have started pulling some of these tricks out of the bag now, but I haven't kept up with this lately so I don't really know.

lupus

join:2001-08-01
Bellevue, WA

4 recommendations

reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

and unlike Apple, Microsoft's quarter exceeded Wall Street's targets.

Who cares what Wall Street projects, they just want to see ridiculous, unsustainable record profits each qtr. Microsoft, Google and Apple are all hugely successful, making obscene amounts of money and are not going anywhere. They may transition and morph to new services, hardware, software, what ever, but they will continue to succeed.

I'll bet 1,000's of US companies would love to be the 'failure' that Microsoft or Apple is (according to the pundits).

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

said by lupus:

said by Link Logger:

and unlike Apple, Microsoft's quarter exceeded Wall Street's targets.

Who cares what Wall Street projects, they just want to see ridiculous, unsustainable record profits each qtr.

Ditto.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB

I think some of these investors are just flat out dangerous to the companies they buy into, and really just want to rip them apart to maximize their returns at the cost of a company, products, customers, and employees. Microsoft etc are making buckets of money and stock price growth and dividends should be enough to keep owners happy, but some of these guys want to monetize the very being of the company. In short this is what happens when social psychopaths head up large hedge funds.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

reply to dave

said by dave:

Ballmer lacks vision for the future?

Fourth straight quarter of double-digit sales growth, seems like he has nailed it and considering the economic times, he really nailed it.

Blake
--

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

said by Link Logger:

Fourth straight quarter of double-digit sales growth

It's easy to get 10% growth on sales when you jack up prices 15%.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by lorennerol:

said by Link Logger:

Fourth straight quarter of double-digit sales growth

It's easy to get 10% growth on sales when you jack up prices 15%.

There's at least one bad assumption in the above statement, if not more.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

reply to lorennerol

So you're saying they have jacked up the prices every quarter for the last 4 quarters by 15% to make their double digit growth, really??

Haters will hate. Everybody claims that everything is wrong with Microsoft and yet Microsoft continues to roll right along making money and growing nicely. To bad every company wasn't running as 'poorly' as Microsoft.

Blake
--

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to AsherN

said by AsherN:

Because they just launched a disastrous OS?

Naw they do that every now and again, and keep the top dogs in place

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to Link Logger

Tech Stocks Maximum History
Microsoft hasn't grown as an equity since the turn of the century. The company is close to irrelevant with the swiftly growing tablet market and the cell phone market although they may actually turn a profit this year on the Surface. How many years has the iPad been bringing in billions in profits for Apple? The desktop market is rapidly shrinking. Microsoft will probably always make money and lots of it, but without growth they need new leadership. There have been just too many lost opportunities to let Ballmer stay. Gates isn't getting kicked off the board although he may be replaced as chairman.

As far as Windows 8, we can argue the merits of it until one or both of us turn blue but you cannot argue that a huge portion of the user base simply hates that OS. How many people hated Windows 7? I didn't know one.

Office 2013/365 is another mess. You can count me in as one of the haters of that and I know a lot like me. It starts from the minute you turn your new machine on and try to activate it. I've probably activated 20 copies of Office in the last month and for all but one or two of them had to call the activation in on a telephone line because their activation servers weren't working or something else was wrong. This has been going on for months. I've seen numerous installations of Office 2013 or Office 365 fail with the dreaded "Something went wrong" message and nothing short of a full re-install fixes it. I couldn't even remove the monstrosity this week without getting help from a Microsoft "fixit", as I received the "something went wrong" message when trying to remove it from Programs and Features. Try to find out where you get to re-install Office 2013 from when you have received it pre-installed on a Dell computer. It isn't impossible, but you have to do some digging. Then if the program actually works you are faced with a light so bright, you should avoid walking into it. They offer a "dark grey" theme that lowers the light level from blinding to obnoxiously bright, but that doesn't help much. Pure and simple... Microsoft has lost its way. They no longer listen to their customers. Time for a change.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Link Logger

Indeed, but their fortunes are still fairly closely tied to a declining market - the desktop PC. It's unclear to me whether they can get beyond that, given the mess that is Windows 8. My opinion, FWIW, is that one OS for server-desktop-touch is spreading it too thin.

Ballmer's trouble is probably that he is a business major, not a technologist.

And, as a side issue, why are you so fond of calling everyone who disagrees with you a 'hater'? I'm a long-time Microsoft follower, have used every NT version since pre-release 3.1 to pre-release Win8, and a former MVP. My opinion that they've lost their way has nothing to do with 'hate'. Big corporations do sometimes become prisoners of their previous success; the question is, can they recover when the marketplace changes?

Apple's actually a good case in point; they used to be a computer company, and they were basically waffling around producing a bunch of crap after their founder was ousted and a businessman was put in charge. Apple recovered from that in a spectacular manner.

Focusing on last year's revenue seems to be short-term thinking of the kind you're accusing investors of having. It's product strategy for the coming decade that ought to matter.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

said by dave:

Indeed, but their fortunes are still fairly closely tied to a declining market - the desktop PC.

Indeed, this is their biggest challenge, and they are clearly aware of it. Their response has been the Surface, Windows RT, the new Windows Phones, the subscription/cloud model for Office, and the whole Metro UI mess forced onto every device they make.

Of all the above, most have not been overly successful. I take it the updated versions of Surface are selling, but no one wanted the incompatible RT-based units. Windows Phone has gained more market share, (probably mostly at the expense of Blackberry) but is still way, way behind Apple/Android. Most Office customers are locked in, but not a lot of growth if they have no reason to upgrade. And resistance to Windows 8 is evident in Microsoft's efforts to distance itself from it as fast as possible.

Now all this negativity doesn't mean Microsoft is going out of business any time soon, but it should certainly be of concern to investors and the new CEO.

The one unit within Microsoft that you can truly call a winner is Xbox. The irony is it essentially is a PC in a different set of clothes.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA

said by Wily_One:

The one unit within Microsoft that you can truly call a winner is Xbox. The irony is it essentially is a PC in a different set of clothes.

I would imagine their server division is hugely profitable. I do see tremendous growth potential in their cloud services too. I'm seeing a lot of people either transition from on-premise Exchange to Office 365 (Exchange in the clouds+Office if needed and wanted) or just upgrading from dirt cheap mail services. There are a lot of very small businesses out there running Exchange on their own server and it is hard to argue with $4/month/account when you really look at the costs. Of course Google gets a lot of this business too.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Kramer:

I would imagine their server division is hugely profitable.

I'm sure it is, but the topic was MS efforts to move beyond the traditional desktop PC. I guess you can throw servers on the backend of the cloud that all these mobile devices will connect to into that mix.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Wily_One

said by Wily_One:

I think this is in part because XBOX is just like Apple products, Everything that happens on the Xbox results in some amount of money for MS. PCs are a one shot deal, Once they get you or the OEM for the OS install there is no obligation to use anything related to MS afterwards MS does not for example get a cut of every game installed on a PC via steam or CD.

Interesting enough I think the PC decline is just a fad, Right now people want mobile but I think the PC will make a resurgence as people find that the resolution of video they want is not possible over the pitiful excuses for internet bandwidth offered here in the US. MS if smart will find a way to seize this part of the market with some kind of "Local Cloud" formula where you have tens of TB in the desktop or attached to an XBOX and any device in the house can consume that cached content.

4K(of respectable non bit starved quality for multiple users at once) will need local caching unless you are on Google Fiber or living in South Korea.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

I think this ad says a lot

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Wily_One

said by Wily_One:

The one unit within Microsoft that you can truly call a winner is Xbox.

Apparently not everyone would agree with you on this. About all I've heard over the past few years is how Xbox is a big financial drain on Microsoft, while Android might actually be a money maker for them.

»www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20···op-xbox/

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Kramer

said by Kramer:

said by Wily_One:

I would imagine their server division is hugely profitable. I do see tremendous growth potential in their cloud services too. I'm seeing a lot of people either transition from on-premise Exchange to Office 365 (Exchange in the clouds+Office if needed and wanted) or just upgrading from dirt cheap mail services. There are a lot of very small businesses out there running Exchange on their own server and it is hard to argue with $4/month/account when you really look at the costs. Of course Google gets a lot of this business too.

I would never recommend Office 365 hosted e-mail to anyone other than very small businesses who have few users and no IT support. We migrated to it earlier this year and user satisfaction went way down, it can be painfully slow and there are outages several times a week.
--
Ron Paul 2012 »www.ronpaul2012.com
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. (((XM)))

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

Interesting enough I think the PC decline is just a fad, Right now people want mobile but I think the PC will make a resurgence as people find that the resolution of video they want is not possible over the pitiful excuses for internet bandwidth offered here in the US. MS if smart will find a way to seize this part of the market with some kind of "Local Cloud" formula where you have tens of TB in the desktop or attached to an XBOX and any device in the house can consume that cached content.

I completely agree. I have to wonder how much of this decline in the PC is a result of Windows 8.

Can't help but wonder if people will start re-thinking the move of everything they have to "the cloud" with the on-going revelations of how the NSA is sifting through all of it and greedy for more.
--
Ron Paul 2012 »www.ronpaul2012.com
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. (((XM)))